Why no Premier on Hip Hop is Dead?

goymz said:
"We did one song for the [new] album but we haven't mixed it yet. [Nas] told me he wants the next album to be the one that we finally do, just me and him, all the way through - just a Premier and Nas album. We'll see if that goes down," he said.

Hip-Hop Is Dead…The N has been rescheduled to a December 19th release date.

Speaking on the release date, DJ Premier said, “I think he should wait 'til next year, personally, to really make a classic bomb. He can do it but I think he needs more time. Whatever he chooses, he's got my support."

So there was a supposed "confirmed" track wonder what happened to him. Plus I could of swore that I read either on this forum or in Scratch magazine that the majority of the songs were going to be premo tracks? Any insight?

Perhaps DJ Premier wanted to be associated with a project of high quality and not a hugger mugger of rushed joints soley made to illicit commercial appeal at a detriment to content.

^ Right, but look what the fans say in the pool on the right hand side of ur screen? Im just playing devils advocate cause i do not agree at all that nas' album was the best album of last year.

^ From a cynical standpoint I’d be inclined to say that he hasn’t made a good beat for three years. Prior to that his work was largely on point but still somewhat inconsistent.

roaches

he hasn’t made a good beat for three years.
Royce - Ding"
Cee-lo - "Evening News"
Cormega - "Dirty Game"
AZ - "The Format"
Termanology - "Watch How it Go Down"
Skyzoo - "Get it Done"

Prior to that his work was largely on point but still somewhat inconsistent.
The only thing makes the summation of his post-2000 work "inconsistent" is The Ownerz, and he admitted that he threw that together so he could get off the label (and far away from Guru, no doubt), and even

I heard Preemo didn't like what Nas spit over the beats he submitted, and asked Nas to try again, but he never got around to it. Scheduling conflicts happen all the time. Of course, I'd take a mediocre Nas performance over half of the no-name New York motherfuckers Premier has laced over the past few years, but whatever.

roaches said:
Royce - Ding"
Cee-lo - "Evening News"
Cormega - "Dirty Game"
AZ - "The Format"
Termanology - "Watch How it Go Down"
Skyzoo - "Get it Done"
Out of the six joints you mentioned, only Evening News is straight up off the meat rack and that was dropped three years ago anyway. The Format is growing on me though.

roaches said:
The only thing makes the summation of his post-2000 work "inconsistent" is The Ownerz, and he admitted that he threw that together so he could get off the label (and far away from Guru, no doubt)
Off the top of my head, three of the four joints he produced for Kollage were wack, the Buckshot LeFonque pieces were less than impressive, Group Home, his early work with KRS, Mobb Deep, a large proportion of his contributions to the MOP albums are prosaic, OC, Sauce Money...Of course, the aformentioned are easy to overlook when you consider we're talking about the same guy responsible for The Sun Rises in the East but I'd still maintain his post 2000 body of work, in terms of quality, is inconsistent.

albohemia said:
maybe Nas finally realised that Premier is overrated or vice versa.

*Runs for cover to the safe and sound sanctuary of My Block*

Premier and Nas overrated??? I don't think so. Even though there was no premier track on the album, it was still a great album for the year 2006. Not the best album of 06, but it is a step in the right direction for both nas and rap music.

Premier's tracks will never be over rated, the man is a top notch producer. And if premier is so damn overrated name me 5 better producers than premier. 5 producers that have made a name for themself, been around for a long time, and are as versatile as premier.

Anyone know the real reason behind premier not being on HHID....maybe hell be on the next album? All over it just for albohemia.

roaches

Off the top of my head, three of the four joints he produced for Kollage were wack, the Buckshot LeFonque pieces were less than impressive, Group Home, his early work with KRS, Mobb Deep, a large proportion of his contributions to the MOP albums are prosaic, OC, Sauce Money...Of course, the aformentioned are easy to overlook when you consider we're talking about the same guy responsible for The Sun Rises in the East but I'd still maintain his post 2000 body of work, in terms of quality, is inconsistent.
What do the weaker moments of his '90s work have to do with him being inconsistent post-2000?

HiGhTillDeaTH said:
Premier's tracks will never be over rated.
It's comments like this that make me disregard the entire remainder of your post before remorsefully slapping my wrist for having the audacity to chastise people who are unwell.

Nas and Premo actually did go to the studio to record for the album, but never got anything done because everybody basically spent the whole time talking, catching up on old times and b.s.ing around

albohemia said:
Out of the six joints you mentioned, only Evening News is straight up off the meat rack and that was dropped three years ago anyway. The Format is growing on me though.

dirty game is a dope ass track

albohemia said:
It's comments like this that make me disregard the entire remainder of your post before remorsefully slapping my wrist for having the audacity to chastise people who are unwell.

Ok. Can u just start talking like a normal person instead of a person who thinks they shit out a dozen roses everytime they have a bowel movement. You take your "educated" comments to far to where it makes me sick to even read ur posts.

Plus who is to say he is over rated or not?? Just because u think hes over rated and i don't that does not make me wrong. Just means we have different opinions. Simple as that, but then u try and turn it all around like im some type of fool,fuck that.

This thread is about why there is no premier tracks on the new nas album, and that question is still hanging in the air.

HiGhTillDeaTH said:
it makes me sick to even read ur posts.
But I have already stated this.

HiGhTillDeaTH said:
Plus who is to say he is over rated or not?? Just because u think hes over rated and i don't that does not make me wrong.
No. You actually claimed that Premier produced tracks will never be overrated. My beef is with your crystal ball.

Have you suffered the same Madden Wii induced head injury as Roaches?

albohemia said:
But I have already stated this.

No. You actually claimed that Premier produced tracks will never be overrated. My beef is with your crystal ball.

Have you suffered the same Madden Wii induced head injury as Roaches?

His tracks will never be over-rated because there is no OFFICIAL rating system. So they will never be over-rated, they will never be under-rated, the will never be a universally agreable rating system for producers.

But then there are the facts: Dj Premier produced one of the most talked about rap albums of all time (Illmatic). Notice how I didnt say "Classic". I specifically said one of the most talked about rap albums of all time which it clearly is. I mean they clearly have a good relationship...why no premier tracks? He is one of the most respect producers in the came. Just give me 10 producers whom are still around 2day, that have done what hes done, formed the relationships hes formed, and produced the amount of quality music he has done.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.