What happened to Common?

Preach

i agree with you a little. i think it even comes down to how the song was mixed. common's voice sounds flat and dry while the beats are musical and very ambient and the concept of stereo is nicely utilized. but the voice just sits there on top of everything, very dry and consistent with little change in passion, and yeah, it bothered me a little bit too. it made me feel like FF was a little bit boring actually.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Dude you are 100% right...!

I feel the same way. I feel like he's forcing it...forcing his intellectual style, forcing his attitude, forcing his fierceness towards "bling-blinging" rappers, forcing his slow jams to the ladies...etc. It's like he's not letting go and being loose, he's so uptight.

I love music because it's unforced, it just comes out and it just flowwwwws...but I listen to Common, Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, and it's like they don't have a musical rhythm, they are just trying to "educate" everybody and it's so annoying. On the album Be, Common was more laid back, relaxed, and things came together, but on this album it's got that forced sound.

(Everybody is guilty of it sometimes, but in terms of music, esp. hip hop, when a rapper lets go and just lets himself rhyme and have fun, that is the SHIT!!! Check Do or Die, Jay-Z...etc!)
I couldnt agree more man, please post more.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.