The world's first hip-hop museum could be without 2pac, Snoop or NWA

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
If the New York City Council has its way, the world’s first hip hop museum will not include the presence of such important rap acts as NWA, Tupac Shakur or Snoop Dogg.

According to NME.com, council members and organizers are arguing over whether a section on gangsta rap should be included in the overall retrospective of hip hop and its roots in the Bronx.

Scheduled to open in late 2008 or early 2009, the facility has received $1.5 million from the New York City Council. The legislative body, therefore, feels it should have a say in what types of artists should be on exhibit.

"We're not talking about gangsta rap," said Bronx council member Larry Seabrook according to the BBC. "We're talking about hip hop. Anybody can be a thug."

Adam Matthews, senior music editor of The Source, offers a different opinion on the inclusion of gangsta rap. He tells NME: "You have to consider the statistics. As hip hop has become progressively violent, the streets have become safer."

Seabrook, meanwhile, hopes that the museum will eventually expand into a larger hip hop complex that will include a studio and a theatre.

SonOf2pac

stupid ass faggots... without 2pac, nwa, snoop aka "gangsta rap" there would be no rap today... :fury: :angry:

kill kill kill murder murder murder heeeeeeey :fury:

PELLA

i hope someone does something. Thats the only time where rap/hiphop was at its peak. Thats like skipping over WWI and WWII when telling someone the history of Europe.

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
SonOf2pac said:
kill kill kill murder murder murder heeeeeeey :fury:
ure excentric

All this fuck them talk isnt gonna help gotta help do somethin about it. obviously its just arrogant NY bein arrogant NY

Nick

They didn't actually mention 2Pac so who knows if they'll group him in with the 'gangsta rap' artists - I really can't believe they'd not include Pac in there in some form or another considering how big he is.

I will say this ONE MORE TIME:

Just because you're born somewhere, doesn't mean you're from that place. 'Pac claimed California. Because Spice 1, The D.O.C, and X-Raided were all born in Texas, does that make them Southern rappers?

No, it's all about where you claimed when you were alive, New Yorkers can try to latch onto 'Pac's legacy now that he's gone, but when he was alive, how much of NY was really fucking with him and supporting him?

Anyway, it's not because it's "gangsta rap", it's because it's West Coast rap, if we ever see West Coast shit in that museum, it'll be a cracked cassette single of Young MC in the back room.

New York, New York big city of dreams and eveything in New York ain´t always what it seems you might get fooled if you come from outta town...fuck all the critics in the N.Y.C. who wants to rock the microphone after me? :laugh:

This is like a rock & roll museum without The Doors or The Rolling Stones, a R&B museum without Marvin Gaye, a blues museum without BB King...it's a travesty. I don't give a fuck where it is. There is no late 90's hip-hop without these 3 artist. Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, and those other wack pop rappers would've killed this shit. What saved it? NWA, Doggystyle, and Tupac Shakur.

Let them do what they want, but, until they put these artists in, the museum will be incomplete.

This isn't an East Coast hip-hop museum people, it's a general hip-hop museum. They're keeping those artists out because of ignorance, not coastal affiliation.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.