The Official R&B Trivia Thread!!!

Militant said:
Gladys Knight actually recommended the Jackson 5 to Berry Gordy (Motown boss) a LONG TIME before Diana Ross did, but Diana gets the credit for discovering them.

And in all likelyness, Berry probably forgot about them until they were recommended to him again by another Motown artist, Bobby Taylor (of Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers) a few months later.

Continuing the Motown/Jackson 5 topic, the very first Jackson 5 single released was "I Want You Back" in 1969. I own the original 7" vinyl :)

My question is, what track was on the b-side and who's song was it originally? (It was a cover)
"Who's Loving You" by Smokey Robinson

Which member Jodeci went to Minneapolis at the age of 16 to get down with Prince but was turned down by the purple one?

Casey

Staff member
Devante Swing.

What was the track produced by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis that was their first hit as producers and gave them credibility after they were kicked out of The Time?

Shot 21

Onion Juice said:
"Just Be Good To Me" by SOS Band

What R&B singer was Vivica Fox once married to?

Hint: Vivica seems to have a thing for guys with names like these. :D
Chris Harvest aka Sixx Nine.

Which Detroit born singer has written and produced tracks for the likes of Boyz II Men, Toni Braxton and TLC?

Shot 21

Shot 21 said:

Which Detroit born singer has written and produced tracks for the likes of Boyz II Men, Toni Braxton and TLC?
Come on surely yall know this! I will give you a clue. He had a hit with Nobody Knows.

Shot 21 said:

Babyface.

edit: and wasn't Babyface from Indiana?

TQ has a track off of "The Second Coming" that mis-credits an artist. The artist credited does not appear. Name the track, the artist who appeared and the artist who was credited as appearing but did not.

KrAzY:aka:AnDy

Under The Influence
RidinOutDaStorm said:
Babyface.

edit: and wasn't Babyface from Indiana?

TQ has a track off of "The Second Coming" that mis-credits an artist. The artist credited does not appear. Name the track, the artist who appeared and the artist who was credited as appearing but did not.
Babyface didn't sing "Nobody Knows", Tony Rich Project sang that.

Casey

Staff member
I would have said Babyface as well. But Shot's right, Tony Rich WAS a staffed songwriter working for LaFace at one time. So it's likely he wrote songs for those artists.

Shot 21

"The Detroit born singer who has written and produced tracks for the likes of Boyz II Men, TLC, Pebbles and Toni Braxton was nurtured in his solo career by writer/producer LA Reid. The Tony Rich Project went top five with the track Nobody Knows from the top 30 album Words"

That is what it says about him in the Brit Awards 97 booklet.

And if you through the booklet to Toni Braxtons album Secrets you will find he wrote and produced the track Come On Over Here. Good enough?

Casey

Staff member
Bringing it back!

Which famous 80's female singer and Prince affiliate is the biological aunt of Nicole Ritchie?

Shot 21

Nice to see my old thread re-incarnated! The answer is Sheila Escovedo.

What R&B male group had a hit with a remake of Chicago - Hard To Say Im Sorry?

(it was about their only hit as well!!)

Casey

Staff member
/\ you didn't need to put her full name. Her artist name Sheila E would have sufficed. ;)

The answer to your question is Az Yet.

Which family group was signed by Motown with the hopes of them becoming the "next" Jacksons? In fact, they were discovered by Jermaine Jackson himself.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online