The Importance/Purpose of Hip-Hop

AmerikazMost

Alright, I'm going to be petitioning soon for acceptance into this organization at school. In petitioning, all you need to do is speak on a topic of your choice and answer queries about it. And well, I've been thinking about discussing the importance/purpose of hip-hop and was hoping if anyone on here could either give me some insights of their own or link me with some good essays/sites that could help me out. I could go in their and wing it on my own, but this organization is real historic and my petition will kept in the records with the likes of James Polk and others, so I want it to be good. I figured this would be a good way to get some inspiration and spark a nice discussion.

Any help is appreciated :thumb:

It's about 11 right now and I've gotta finish a project, but Hip Hop in the beginning wasn't about "the voice of the people" until after "The Message." The type of music it was at first was for block parties and such, but as it evolved, it became something comparable to blues and genres of that nature. Although this seems to be lost, acts like Paris, PE, and Immortal Technique help hold Hip Hop's political stance somewhat intact with actual heads while artists like Saigon "speak from the streets" and are voices for those who can't speak for themselves.

Just a quick thing, I can't really go into too much detail about it tonight, I may come back and add more.

Chronic

Hip-Hop may be intertwined with some important movements but it started out as party music. Not gonna be able to go far with importance/purpose there.
Only importance it really has is that it's a possible outlet for people.

I'm with S O F I S T I K, change your topic.

teachers in general don't appriciate things like this from, my experience. Bailing on this one might be the right way to go, Maybe back in the day with public enemy this could be a good topic but who these days really raps with a message?? dead prez and immortal techinique really the only siginificant ones i know of and there not exactly mainstream.....

AmerikazMost

Yeah, it was a stretch, but I thought it could be something fresh. I haven't put much thought into what I'm going to talk about, but I was throwing that idea around. But I'll probably take S O F I S T I K's advice and go with something else.

Hip Hop is an outlet for the poor man. It was created by poor people as a way of expressing themselves. It gives people who don't have a chance in life a way of expressing thier feelings. Although it has mutated over the years, thier are many artists who still follow the old ways. Hip-Hop now still has its importance in entertainment and so forth, but the origins of hip hop is an art form created by the underdog.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.