The Best Voices

We've talked about good songs, new ones, old ones... good albums, fav tracks. But in terms of really good voices, it's a bit different.

A lot of industry people seemed to rave about Beyonce and how great a performer and artist she is, but I dont really find anything about her voice that great. It's distinctive but I dont think it has the depth of other artists, like for instance Aaliyah. Hers was a sweeter voice but it had more substance to it than someone like Beyonce.

Then compare the two of them to someone like Chaka Khan, who had a mad voice. But then compare that to someone like I dunno Aretha Franklin. I wonder if the standard of artists voices are going down hill, whether you could say they arent as talented as they used to be... I dont know... maybe other factors are more important now for people coming through the ranks, such as appearance.

Amerie has a nice voice but is that whats selling her albums? Probably the only standout spectacular voice that I'd consider these days is Alicia Keys. Then I havent even touched on the males...

I actually like beyonces voice!! I look up to beyonce a lot, and most of my clothing style and everything(not the revealing clothes) are like hers cuz I just wana be like her a lot and all. shes my favorite singer out there rite now and proly will be for a long time !!!:D

I respect Alicia keys. I like the kind of person she is, her song writing skills and the way she plays the piano is str8 up beautiful. But I don't rate her voice compared to the likes of Mariah Carey, Mary J Blige and Lauryn Hill. Beyonce I'm 50/50 about.

Casey

Staff member
I have yet to see a male vocalist as good as Prince or Michael Jackson. or a female to compete with women like Chaka Khan or Rosie Gaines...actually no, Leela James has got an AMAZING voice......and my manager manages her too ;)

Synful*Luv

Staff member
For females, I have to go with Lauryn Hill. I love her voice, it's so sultry and I don't know. I love it. Another one I want to toss out that no one mentioned is Fantasia, that girl has a voice on her. It's so powerful.

For guys, not many of them are actually singing. I like K-Ci and JoJo, they have really good voices. That good down south raised in the church voice.

Anthony Hamilton - Im a huge fan of anthony hamiltons voice because hes got that old-school bill withers type soulful voice that just grabs you, its distinctive and unique at the same time (especially these days!)

John Legend - like hamilton, john legends got that old-school soulful voice with a modern touch. Hes a gifted singer, songwriter and pianist. His voice is powerful and expressive and has great range. His album "Get Lifted" is a classic, deffinatly one of my favourites.

Alicia Keys - I guess you could say she is john legends female counterpart, shes a gifted singer, songwriter and pianist. She has great power and depth in her voice and is definatly one of the great talents of this generation.

Lauryn Hill - Theres just something about her voice that draws you in. Its just so rich and distinctive. This voice is definatly one of the best.

Ivory$horty

†PoeticPrincess†
I was just thinking about this the other day. There aren't that many artists out nowadays that have that distinct voice or style that make them memorable or even enjoyable. For the latter...Beyonce. I can't stand her voice at all, it's piercing, it's annoying and she hits the same notes over and over again. She doesn't switch it up and to me...that's not something I enjoy listening to.
Female vocalists I can say TRULY stand out? Without a doubt, Aaliyah. You listen to something like 'I Care 4 U' then listen to 'Death of A Playa' The depth and growth in her vocals is evident. She never sang two songs the same and I think that's something about her I admire the most.
Also...Alicia Keys. I like her voice but after a while, it can start to irritate me. She's a talented girl no doubt, but she can't hold my interest for too long.
I think Keyshia Cole has an amazing voice. There's something about it that I like...

As for males:

Anthony Hamilton definately. He's got that soulful voice that stands apart from a lot of the male vocalists out nowadays.
TQ...this boy's voice is incredibly unique. I love him.
And one person I'm really into right now is Ryan Leslie. I love his voice, love his music. 'Pleaze, Pleaze, Pleaze' had me hooked and if you listen to it, you'll see why.
John Legend. His voice is just that...legendary. One of the best in the biz.
Last but not least...Charlie Wilson. Thanks J for recommending him. :D Now I can't get enough of him.

Males:
John Legend - Soulful dude. His Get Lifted LP was amazing
Anthony Hamilton - His voice can make you sad, happy, or angry; he's able to do it because his voice is so raw and un-polished, which is better IMO.

Females:
Aaliyah - Range, range, range. She was spectacular.
Alicia Keys - Her voice is so beyond her years..I remember hearing "Fallin'" in like sixth grade and thinking that it was an older woman singing but realized that it definitely wasn't an old woman when I saw the video on MTV
Lauryn Hill - You can feel what she sings as opposed to just hearing it

ARon

Besides some others people have mentioned anyone like Maxwell' voice? I think it's real nice. He has a a lot of range and is pretty melodic, I like it.

Prince...the fact he has such an amazing range as well as the songs he picks to use those diffrent vocals is amazing. I have never heard anybody quite like him in terms of male, someone who could sing so high (I Wanna Be Your Lover, Black Sweat) and then sing low(Joy in Reptition, Peach)

Notable Songs:

If I Was Your Girlfriend
Damn U
Kiss
Peach
Scandaous

wildcard:Al B! Sure(Natalie), Ginuwine (Simply Irresistable)

Aaliyah my god her voice was just so beautiful and when she would sing songs like "I Care 4 U" it would make you believe that she would be such a down ass chick, makes you wish that you could find someone like her that would love you with all her heart. She had me with her voice, even more then her looks (although she was not lacking in that too)

Notable Songs:

Hot Like Fire(when I heard this my goodness)
4 Page Letter
I Care 4 U
More Then A Women
I Don't Wanna

wildcard:Miche'lle (Something in My Heart),Minnie Riperton (Here We Go)

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.