The Best Album of 2006 Seems to Be the Least Discussed

roaches

Anyone heard "Pity the Child"?

Is Game Theory really that good?
It's fantastic. It isn't perfect by any means, though. "Don't Feel Right" is somewhere between a song I don't mind and a song I like, and "Clock with No Hands" sucks. There's also no "Star" or "No Alibi".

Why no hype for it?
I don't think that was ever the intention. The Roots signed to Def Jam basically as a prestige act. The odds of them getting a hit single are slim to none. Jay-Z let them make the most uncompromising album of their career. It probably wasn't very expensive to make. Their core audience probably bought enough albums for them to recoup their budget. Extra money spent marketing the album would probably not be matched by the money spent by the number of new fans who bought the album.

Finish this sentence: "Game Theory is the best album by a major act since..."
If by major you mean major label, Beanie Sigel's last one.

I havent heard Game theory yet but I liked Ice Cube's Laugh Now Cry Later. There are a gang of tracks on there that are dope. Beats that bump and dope lyrical content. Also Immortal Technique is still planning on releasing the Middle Passage before 2007, and there is only one month left so we will see how that turns out. IT's new shit that I heard is pretty tight, Caught in a Hustle, although not new but unreleased I believe, is a tight song and a freestyle over that "Everyday Im hustlin" beat is pretty dope too.

AmerikazMost

roaches said:
Anyone heard "Pity the Child"?

It's fantastic. It isn't perfect by any means, though. "Don't Feel Right" is somewhere between a song I don't mind and a song I like, and "Clock with No Hands" sucks. There's also no "Star" or "No Alibi".

I don't think that was ever the intention. The Roots signed to Def Jam basically as a prestige act. The odds of them getting a hit single are slim to none. Jay-Z let them make the most uncompromising album of their career. It probably wasn't very expensive to make. Their core audience probably bought enough albums for them to recoup their budget. Extra money spent marketing the album would probably not be matched by the money spent by the number of new fans who bought the album.

If by major you mean major label, Beanie Sigel's last one.
I love "Clock with No Hands"

I heard in a thread on here about The Great Migration - Bronze Nazereth that album was dope as hell to me.

At the end of the day rap/hip-hop has been heavily diluted, there are so many new acts and artists now that just seem to be coming out of noware. If you look hard enough you will still find good hip hop/rap music its just that there are more artists you will have to sift through to find hidden jems

peace:thumb:

PuffnScruff said:
jurassic 5's new album is actually really good and one of the better releases this year.

when has the roots ever made it their mission to sell towards a target audience of teenagers who only listen to the flavor of the month? that has never been what they were about
PuffnScruff said:
jurassic 5's new album is actually really good and one of the better releases this year.

when has the roots ever made it their mission to sell towards a target audience of teenagers who only listen to the flavor of the month? that has never been what they were about
My point was not that The Roots' target audience is bubblegum-pop teenagers, but it was that bubblegum-pop teenagers comprise the majority of music buyers.

So, when the maker of this thread mentioned to "excuse me if I expect something worth my $16" and he "doesn't expect much from what BET plays," keep in mind that if artists have $$ on their mind when making music, it's going to be aimed at those responsible for giving them that $$ - mainly "teenagers who listen to the flavor of the month."

And if the point is going to be brought up that most people seem to like Jurassic 5 but don't support them financially, well, that's just the music market, and Jurassic 5 just doesn't appeal to the kids that choose to spend their disposable income on music. A lot of older fans of music would rather buy a handle and a 6-pack, some pills, or a dimebag.

My favs album are "The Last Stand" by Boot Camp Clik, "Servants In Heaven Kings In Hell" by Jedi Mind Tricks and "Sex, Drugz and Hip-Hop" by Gonzoe. I don't like any other albums of this year.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.