The 10 essential hip-hop records of the 90's?

7 Syns said:
I don't really see how Big L's "Lifestyles Ov Da Poor & Dangerous" made an impact, especially considering it isn't a very recognisable record. It's dope no doubt about it, but the truth be told.

Also, The Predator by Cube? Are you gonna tell us The Predator was more essential then either Amerikkka'z Most Wanted, Death Certificate or even Lethal Injection?

Me Against The World was a dope record and I consider it personally 'Pacs best work. But I believe that the formula used on this record was sorta used on Biggie's Ready To Die. I see alot of similarities in the vibe they let off.

2Pacalypse Now though? Don't see how it was essential at all.

DoggFood? What did D.P.G. do on this record that either Dre didn't on The Chronic or Snoop didn't on Doggystyle? Just wondering?

The Score, thats a very good choice for those who mentioned it. This record was huge. Original to an extent and I can see where Jean Grae's style birthed. -imo- though.

Slim Shady LP? Nah, it was good but nah.

The Infamous was tight, thats a possibility. O.C.'s Word.. Life would be one too however it's in the same sense as Big L's Lifestyles... Great Lp but didn't make alot of noise.

peace.
2PACALYPSE IS ESSENTIAL BECAUSE WITHOUT IT PAC MAY NOT HAVE MADE IT IN THE RAP GAME SO I WOULD SAY IT IS VERY MUCH ESSENTAL. THIS WAS THE FOUNDATION OF PACS RAP CAREER.

Aristotle said:
Low End Theory came out in 1990 if I am correct, and yes that is the album I was contemplating. Someone could look it up though.

My Sig..........
I could care less if someone disagrees because it is so ture and something so many damn people need to rationalize in their mind.
Hip-Hop is bigger than Tupac.
I looked it up, I stand corrected, it did indeed come out in 1990. Ill probably add it to the list, not sure yet which album ill remove.

Pac is by far hip hop's biggest icon, and probably the only artist from the genre to be universally respected on a songwriter level by critics and fans of all other genres.

ganderson said:
2PACALYPSE IS ESSENTIAL BECAUSE WITHOUT IT PAC MAY NOT HAVE MADE IT IN THE RAP GAME SO I WOULD SAY IT IS VERY MUCH ESSENTAL. THIS WAS THE FOUNDATION OF PACS RAP CAREER.
as much as I love that album, it only had an impact on Pac's career, and not hip hop as a whole......it wasnt universally accepted as a groundbreaking classic in the same sense that All Eyez On Me or 7 Day Theory were/are.

ARon

Hellrazor1978 said:
not sure yet which album ill remove.

Pac is by far hip hop's biggest icon, and probably the only artist from the genre to be universally respected on a songwriter level by critics and fans of all other genres.
About removing which album, haha no doubt, that will be the hard part.

About Pac......ok
How does that defeat the fact that Tupac is not bigger than hip-hop. People are so one minded when it comes to the shit it disgusts me. Not trying to start an argument or anything becuase i like this thread, dont ruin it. Just sayin.

Aristotle said:
About removing which album, haha no doubt, that will be the hard part.

About Pac......ok
How does that defeat the fact that Tupac is not bigger than hip-hop. People are so one minded when it comes to the shit it disgusts me. Not trying to start an argument or anything becuase i like this thread, dont ruin it. Just sayin.
Ill save the Pac/hip hop discussion for a different time, you right this aint the time or place.

Anyway, I (reluctantly) removed Doggystyle from the list.....probably one of my top 5 fav albums ever, but Low End Theory certainly had more impact. Now that I think about it, Doggystyle's impact was mostly on Snoop's career, rather than the rap game as a whole. Though I think it was better than The Chronic, it came out afterward and was more of a followup to that album, thus I removed it.

Im debating if I should take off Outkast's debut and put on a Scarface or Geto Boys album.....not sure if they had more impact than Kast or not. I wasnt listening to much southern rap back then, so I dont remember. I think Kast's album was the first southern rap album to go platinum and put the south on the map, but I could be wrong.

ARon

Maybe we should make a thread about the whole Pac thing, well, maybe not, "nothing could be said bad against Pac."

I was about to ask you about Doggystyle aka The Chronic Part 2, you said it right though, Snoops career not rap.

Hellrazor1978 said:
as much as I love that album, it only had an impact on Pac's career, and not hip hop as a whole......it wasnt universally accepted as a groundbreaking classic in the same sense that All Eyez On Me or 7 Day Theory were/are.
TOTALLY AGREE HOMIE COS AS THIS JOINT HAD AN IMPACT ON PACS CARRER IT HAD AN IMPACT ON RAP AS A WHOLE. WHEN U LOOK AT THE IMPACT PAC HAD ON RAP IN THE EARLY NINTEES AND STILL NOW SOME PEEPS WOULD SAY THIS ALBUM IS WERE IT ALL BEGAN THIS IS WHY I LISTED IT. JUST MY OPINION GOOD THREAD BY THE WAY :thumb:

Aristotle said:
Maybe we should make a thread about the whole Pac thing, well, maybe not, "nothing could be said bad against Pac."

I was about to ask you about Doggystyle aka The Chronic Part 2, you said it right though, Snoops career not rap.
Yea, the Chronic had more impact on rap.....created a whole new sound. Basically w/o it, there is no Doggystyle.

With that said though, I strongly feel Doggystyle is the BETTER album, and really the watershed of both Dre and Snoop's careers. Didnt really change rap up though. Hard to believe that Ive been playing that album for over 11 years now.....damn, time flies.

the Pac thread would just be a flame war. Not by me necessarily.....Im a Pac head to the fullest but im objective also. Now that I think about it, I wouldnt say Pac is bigger than hip hop because hip hop is an entire culture, Pac is an indivdual if you look at it from that perspective. He just happens to be the biggest individual from that culture.

ARon

Oh no doubt Doggystyle is a better album, maybe not to a lot but to me definitely.The only thing that takes away from The Chronic to me are all the possee cuts on it, but then that was dre showcasing his production skills. Kind of got annoyed from that. I kind of wish every track was like Nuthing But a G Thang, just Snoop and Dre killing it. Still Chronic goes on the list not doggystyle.

Nothin But a G Thing.....the very first rap song I heard, and thus the Chronic was my first rap purchase. "Deez Nuts" has to be one of my top 5 Dre beats ever though.

7 Syns said:
I don't really see how Big L's "Lifestyles Ov Da Poor & Dangerous" made an impact, especially considering it isn't a very recognisable record. It's dope no doubt about it, but the truth be told.

Also, The Predator by Cube? Are you gonna tell us The Predator was more essential then either Amerikkka'z Most Wanted, Death Certificate or even Lethal Injection?

Me Against The World was a dope record and I consider it personally 'Pacs best work. But I believe that the formula used on this record was sorta used on Biggie's Ready To Die. I see alot of similarities in the vibe they let off.

2Pacalypse Now though? Don't see how it was essential at all.

DoggFood? What did D.P.G. do on this record that either Dre didn't on The Chronic or Snoop didn't on Doggystyle? Just wondering?

The Score, thats a very good choice for those who mentioned it. This record was huge. Original to an extent and I can see where Jean Grae's style birthed. -imo- though.

Slim Shady LP? Nah, it was good but nah.

The Infamous was tight, thats a possibility. O.C.'s Word.. Life would be one too however it's in the same sense as Big L's Lifestyles... Great Lp but didn't make alot of noise.

peace.
Did No Way Out have a real impact on true hip-hop heads?
Humm...I don't think so...but it's your choice and I gotta respect it and I won't comment on it so don't do that with others...

Peace.

ARon

Nuthin But a G Thang being the first song you heard,Hahah, that is so tight, I read that and just smiled. i dont even know the first rap song i heard cus it has been around forever, born in 84 and Marvin and Sam Cooke and all that was around, then it started to turn into rap so i really cant remember.

Illmatic-NaS
The Chronic-Dr. Dre
The Low End Theory-A Tribe Called Quest
Aquemini-OutKast
AmeriKKKaz Most Wanted-Ice Cube
Ressurection-Common
Creepin On a Come Up-Bone Thugs N Harmony
Its Dark & Hell is Hot-DMX

Thats all i can think of for now.....

Well, it was the first RAP song, at the very least. Before that, I listened to rock, but once I bought the Chronic, I was officially converted.

I still got love for classic rock though.....can never go wrong with Zeppelin, Doors, Hendrix, etc etc......but hip hop is my main preference of music, by far. Thats pretty much what I listen to 90% of the time.

Here are the 10 essential hip-hop records of the 90's in no order:

Nas - Illmatic
2pac - All Eyez On Me (I could have put the Makaveli album as well)
Biggie - Life After Death (Ready To Die is my favorite)
Snoop - Doggystyle
Mobb Deep - Infamous
Dr. Dre - The Chronic 2001
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
Wu Tang - The 36 Chambers (I hate this album)
Outkast - Aquemini

Now my top 10 favorite albums of all time:

All Eyez On Me - 2pac
The Blueprint - Jay-Z
Hell On Earth - Mobb Deep
Ready To Die - Biggie
Stillmatic - Nas
Dogg Food - Dogg Pound
Moment Of Truth - Gangstarr
The Fix - Scarface
The Chronic 2001 - Dr. Dre
Still I Rise - 2pac and Outlawz

Saaphir said:
Because there is no music in this album,just horrible noises...IMO
It's the raw feel of the album that some don't agree with, that's understandable if you don't feel RZA's production, but do you really feel as if "C.R.E.A.M" was just a collection of horrible noises?

HitEmUp21 said:
It's the raw feel of the album that some don't agree with, that's understandable if you don't feel RZA's production, but do you really feel as if "C.R.E.A.M" was just a collection of horrible noises?
There are few songs I can listen to on this album and C.R.E.A.M. is one of them

If i'd have a apc album it would be me against the world or makaveli cuz that was the first types of albums with bible and God references.....

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.