The 10 essential hip-hop records of the 90's?

7 Syns

I know we get alot of threads asking for your favorite 10 or the best 10 ever and others such as. But im wondering what people in here, believe to be the top 10 essential records of the 90's era. Now a couple of things I wanna put into place before you go off and post. Make sure the record had some sorta impact, don' just write your favorite records. No reason needed for your choices. Post.

peace.

-----

10. ATLiens (Outkast)
09. It's Dark & Hell Is Hot (DMX)
08. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx (Raekwon)
07. No Way Out (Puff Daddy)
06. Enter The 36 Chambers (Wu-Tang Clan)
05. Doggystyle (Snoop Doggy Dogg)
04. Ready To Die (The Notorious B.I.G.)
03. Illmatic (Nas)
02. Amerikkka'z Most Wanted (Ice Cube)
01. The Chronic (Dr. Dre).

they are going to vote puffy off..thats 4 sure...and they will replace it by ne pac record that came out...that's all im saying for now cuz i gotta go

2Pax

1.Doggystyle
2.Chronic
3.Me Against the World
4.Illmatic
5.Death Certificate
6.Ready To Die
7.Dogg Food
8.Reasonable Doubt
9. Enter The 36 Chambers
10.Aquemini

Hot

Gotta agree with you on a lot of them. In no order

1. NaS - Illmatic
2. Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers
3. Dr Dre - Chronic
4. Notorious BIG - Ready2Die
5. Big L - Lifestylz ov da poor & dangerous
6. Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
7. Fugees - The Score
8. Mobb Deep - The Infamous
9. Snoop - Doggystyle
10. Ice Cube - Amerikkaz Most Wanted

This isn't in any particular order, this is just da albums of the 90's that i think were significant:
1. The Chronic(Dr.Dre)
2. Illmatic(Nas)
3. Enter The 36 Chambers(Wu Tang-Clan)
4. All Eyez On Me(2Pac)
5. The Score(Fugees)
6. DoggyStyle(Snoop)
7. Ready To Die(Biggie)
8. Black Star(Mos Def & Talib Kweli)
9. Capital Punishment(Big Pun)
10. Its Dark & Hell is Hot(DMX)

Rosco

Illmatic
Doggystyle
Ready To Die
Enter The 36 Chambers
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
The Chronic
Reasonable Doubt
Me Against The World
The Infamous
Lifestylez Ov Tha Poor And Dangerouz

all eyez on me
doggystyle
chronic
harlem world
ready to die
me against the world
slim shady lp ( started the em madness / dre's 2001 / g-unit all that )
no way out
illmatic / i am
reasonable doubt

Efil 4 Zaggin - Nwa
Amerikkkaz Most Wanted - Ice Cube
2pacalypse Now - 2 Pac
36 Chambers Wu-tang
The Chronic - Dre
Doggystyle - Snoop
The Predator - Ice Cube
Illmatic - Nas
Ready 2 Die - Big
Me Against The World - 2 Pac

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
36 Chambers Wu-tang
The Chronic - Dre
Doggystyle - Snoop
Illmatic - Nas
Ready 2 Die - Big
Me Against The World - 2 Pac
ATLiens - Outkast
It's Dark & Hell Is Hot - DMX
SSLP - MM
Score - Fugees

*No order.*

7 Syns

I don't really see how Big L's "Lifestyles Ov Da Poor & Dangerous" made an impact, especially considering it isn't a very recognisable record. It's dope no doubt about it, but the truth be told.

Also, The Predator by Cube? Are you gonna tell us The Predator was more essential then either Amerikkka'z Most Wanted, Death Certificate or even Lethal Injection?

Me Against The World was a dope record and I consider it personally 'Pacs best work. But I believe that the formula used on this record was sorta used on Biggie's Ready To Die. I see alot of similarities in the vibe they let off.

2Pacalypse Now though? Don't see how it was essential at all.

DoggFood? What did D.P.G. do on this record that either Dre didn't on The Chronic or Snoop didn't on Doggystyle? Just wondering?

The Score, thats a very good choice for those who mentioned it. This record was huge. Original to an extent and I can see where Jean Grae's style birthed. -imo- though.

Slim Shady LP? Nah, it was good but nah.

The Infamous was tight, thats a possibility. O.C.'s Word.. Life would be one too however it's in the same sense as Big L's Lifestyles... Great Lp but didn't make alot of noise.

peace.

These arent necessarily my 10 favs, but honestly, I believe these are the 10 most essenstial hip hop albums of that decade.....I wouldnt necessarily say they are the best (though all of them can definatly be argued), but they did have the most impact. No specific order.

1. Dr Dre - The Chronic
2. 2Pac - All Eyez On Me
3. Ice Cube - Amerikkkaz Most Wanted
4. Public Enemy - Fear Of a Black Planet
5. Tribe - Low End Theory
6. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
7. Nas - Illmatic
8. Bone Thugs - E.1999 Eternal
9. Biggie - Ready To Die
10. OutKast - Southernplayalistic

I dont know why people are listing Me Against The World as the essential album for Tupac. It is CLEARLY "All Eyez On Me". Me Against the World might be the BETTER album, but its not the more essential album. I personally think 7 Day Theory is Pac's best album, and the best hip hop album of all time, but everyone knows AEOM is the Pac album that really changed up the rap game, as well as establishing Pac as the genres biggest icon. That album needs to be on EVERYONES list, as does the Chronic and Illmatic.

And why are people listing Reasonable Doubt?? That album had no kind of impact at all. Trust me, I was there in 96' and nobody was calling this album a classic or anything of that nature. People only call it classic now because Jay went commercial with Vol.2 and they want to remember that he was once raw. It was just Jay's version of "Cuban Linx", however, and really did nothing to alter the rap game at all.....

Me and 7 Syns got a very similiar list, heh.

7 Syns said:
The Score, thats a very good choice for those who mentioned it. This record was huge. Original to an extent and I can see where Jean Grae's style birthed. -imo- though.
No way..They have vastly different styles, Lauryn Hill has amazing delivery, Jean Grae lacks this, the only similarities are the intertwining of singing/rapping and the fact that they are both females. But sorry for getting off topic. Anyway I just believe that there can't be only 10 essential hip-hop albums of the 90s, why limit it to 10?

Hellrazor1978 said:
These arent necessarily my 10 favs, but honestly, I believe these are the 10 most essenstial hip hop albums of that decade.....I wouldnt necessarily say they are the best (though all of them can definatly be argued), but they did have the most impact. No specific order.

1. Dr Dre - The Chronic
2. 2Pac - All Eyez On Me
3. Ice Cube - Amerikkkaz Most Wanted
4. Public Enemy - Fear Of a Black Planet
5. Snoop - Doggystyle
6. Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
7. Nas - Illmatic
8. Bone Thugs - E.1999 Eternal
9. Biggie - Ready To Die
10. OutKast - Southernplayalistic

I dont know why people are listing Me Against The World as the essential album for Tupac. It is CLEARLY "All Eyez On Me". Me Against the World might be the BETTER album, but its not the more essential album. I personally think 7 Day Theory is Pac's best album, and the best hip hop album of all time, but everyone knows AEOM is the Pac album that really changed up the rap game, as well as establishing Pac as the genres biggest icon. That album needs to be on EVERYONES list, as does the Chronic and Illmatic.

And why are people listing Reasonable Doubt?? That album had no kind of impact at all. Trust me, I was there in 96' and nobody was calling this album a classic or anything of that nature. People only call it classic now because Jay went commercial with Vol.2 and they want to remember that he was once raw. It was just Jay's version of "Cuban Linx", however, and really did nothing to alter the rap game at all.....

Me and 7 Syns got a very similiar list, heh.
perfect list.......

Hellrazor1978 said:
^^^there are definatly more than 10, but this thread is asking for 10 only.
I understand, but if they are essential to have or know or whatever, how can there be only 10? There is more than 10 essential albums, but if you only choose 10, then the other albums which are essential aren't there.

But going with it, I like 7 Syns list, while substituting a few albums.

HitEmUp21 said:
I understand, but if they are essential to have or know or whatever, how can there be only 10? There is more than 10 essential albums, but if you only choose 10, then the other albums which are essential aren't there.

But going with it, I like 7 Syns list, while substituting a few albums.
true, but thats what makes this interesting. I mean, if we were to list all the essential albums of the 90's, everyones list would be almost identical. But because there are so many classics, and you can only list 10, it shows more individuality among everyone.

Believe me....leaving off 36 Chambers, Me Against The World, Death Certificate, Aquemini, Geto Boys first couple albums, 7 Day Theory, along with many others was no easy ordeal.

But I took into account the albums I felt had the strongest AND most lasting impact, and the result was my list.

Aristotle said:
Quick Question..
Why don't I see A Tribe Called Quest on anyones list? They made a huge impact in hip-hop.
Their most influential albums came out in the late 80's. Their 1993 album Midnight Marauders was their BEST album, in my opinion, but it wasnt their most groundbreaking or influential. Low End Theory probably was, but that came out in 1988 if I remember correctly.

I thought the same thing you did honestly, but realized their most influential album was still in the 80's :D

dont know if I agree with your sig though......to me, Pac was the ESSENCE of hip hop. He wasnt an mc, he was an ARTIST.

ARon

Low End Theory came out in 1990 if I am correct, and yes that is the album I was contemplating. Someone could look it up though.

My Sig..........
I could care less if someone disagrees because it is so ture and something so many damn people need to rationalize in their mind.
Hip-Hop is bigger than Tupac.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.