Rap Record of '06 (So Far)

2006 is half-way in the books, and there's been quite a few solid rap records (I bought fifteen of them), a few with only one or two solid songs (Brotha Lynch/MC Eiht's record and Roscoe's record come to mind), and then Kurupt's record, one of the worst hip hop records I've had to sit through in a long damn time.

So far, my favorite rap record from 2006 (and this is coming from a die-hard, Cali-bred, West Coast rap fan), is...

Ghostface Killah-Fishscale

Nobody would even need to mention Ghost is from the Wu, this record stands by itself in a way not many Wu solo records do, IMO. Ghost hardly relies on the rest of the group except on a track or two, and the beats are definitely a welcome change from yet another Sha Money XL or Lil' Jon track. MF Doom & J Dilla shine brightest w/ six of the better tracks on the record (especially "Underwater", "Beauty Jackson", and my favorite track, "Jellyfish"), but there really isn't a bad track in the bunch, except maybe the "bonus" track w/ Biggie & Diddy. Ghost sounds inspired, in a way I might have expected Busta to sound on his new record, but Ghost on "Crack Spot" and especially "Shakey Dog" alone more than make up for "Tush" and half of The Pretty Toney Album.

I am tired-as-fuck, so for now, here's a list of my top ten of the year, so far:

1. Ghostface Killah-Fishscale
2. DJ Quik-Live at The House of Blues
3. Murs-Murray's Revenge
4. Suga Free-Just Add Water
5. Ice Cube-Laugh Now, Cry Later
6. TI-King
7. Dogg Pound-Cali Iz Active
8. E-40-My Ghetto Report Card
9. Busta Rhymes-The Big Bang
10. Bizzy Bone-The Story

Honorable Mentions: Dilated Peoples-20/20, The Coup-Pick a Bigger Weapon, Aceyalone-Magnificent City

How about the rest of you? Rap record of the year? Please keep the Mobb Deep votes to a minimum, please, I don't want to throw up too much;)

I also think that 'Fishscale' is one of the best albums this year. I'll put in that category '20/20' and 'Laugh Now, Cry Later'. But, what suprised me the most is the brilliant album by Bronze Nazareth 'The Great Migration'. That's my pick...

jbrolax

troublesome2004 said:
I also think that 'Fishscale' is one of the best albums this year. I'll put in that category '20/20' and 'Laugh Now, Cry Later'. But, what suprised me the most is the brilliant album by Bronze Nazareth 'The Great Migration'. That's my pick...

dude i just got this Nazareth album, its not that good... ill listen to it more... but i havent heard anything id listen to again...

and now some dudes speakin arabic???

Rap still exists?!?

The only "Rap" I like right now is Gnarls Barkley, and some of you could argue that's still not really rap but fuck it. Although I would listen to Lupe Fiasco if he came out.

tHuG $TyLe

Staff member
^lol Budden will be released in like 2014

Bizzy Bone - The Story? I thought that album was wack, Bizzy has fallenoff terribly.

jbrolax

ThUg $TyLe said:
^lol Budden will be released in like 2014

Bizzy Bone - The Story? I thought that album was wack, Bizzy has fallenoff terribly.

i dont give a shit when its released, this dudes the truth

jbrolax

EDouble said:
I think 2 or 300
in my mind right now, i read that and took it as writtin, im like 2, like one two, or 300? big gap...

anyway im not gonna stop posting until i have the whole forum locked down...

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.