Rap Music is killing Hip Hop Culture

Tonio1986 said:
Hip-hop is dying, and 50 Cent is holding the murder weapon. As a rap artist, 50 Cent's success includes being ranked No. 1 on the Billboard charts for weeks and selling more than 870,000 CDs, making him the rap equivalent of Britney Spears: Not only does he not add anything positive to the music genre, but he also exploits it for his own financial gain.

50 Cent's idea of entertaining lyricism includes a song titled "Bloodhound" where he says, "I love to pump crack/ Love to stay strapped/ Love to squeeze gats but you don’t hear me, though."
That was well said and I agree with that. However, i think we need to be more clear on the difference between rap and hip-hop and I would volunteer myself to explain but i am sure i would miss something. And i agree that all artists are commercial "making profit" but keep in mind that it is a job, being a musician is a job, and you make it sound almost like artists like 50 Cent and Jay-Z are not that different from Talib, Common, and Mos Def. I believe 50 and Jay don't add anything positive, but i think Talib, Common, and Mos Def do, by having culutrally aware music which makes you think, I'm fine with bootleggers who jack 50's tunes, because just as they do not add to hiphop economically, 50 does not add to hiphop socially. however artists that have a message, a positive message, and push that message with their music, deserve to be supported.

that said -- i think that there is need for rappers such as 50 and Jay because regarldess of lyrics we need musicians to make music that sounds good, so that when we're in the club or dancing we can just have something to move to.

a

i definetly dont agree with what you had to say about file sharing killing hiphop....infact i feel its doing the very opposite!

if it wasnt for file sharing, i wouldnt have gotten the chance to even hear most of the songs and/or artists that i now consider my favourites...

i'd like to hear you try and tell Chuck D (public enemy) that file sharing is a bad thing for hiphop.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Advocate said:
That was well said and I agree with that. However, i think we need to be more clear on the difference between rap and hip-hop and I would volunteer myself to explain but i am sure i would miss something. And i agree that all artists are commercial "making profit" but keep in mind that it is a job, being a musician is a job, and you make it sound almost like artists like 50 Cent and Jay-Z are not that different from Talib, Common, and Mos Def. I believe 50 and Jay don't add anything positive, but i think Talib, Common, and Mos Def do, by having culutrally aware music which makes you think, I'm fine with bootleggers who jack 50's tunes, because just as they do not add to hiphop economically, 50 does not add to hiphop socially. however artists that have a message, a positive message, and push that message with their music, deserve to be supported.

that said -- i think that there is need for rappers such as 50 and Jay because regarldess of lyrics we need musicians to make music that sounds good, so that when we're in the club or dancing we can just have something to move to.

a
I fail to see why rap music with a positive message deserves to be supported and is generally thought of to be better. Last time I checked, rap music wasn't supposed to be a school curriculum, or the interpretation of MLK's and Ghandi's teachings. Rap, as with any type of music since forever, is just meant to be entertainment.

Entertainment:

1. The act of entertaining.
2. The art or field of entertaining.
3. Something that amuses, pleases, or diverts, especially a performance or show.
4. The pleasure afforded by being entertained; amusement: The comedian performed for our entertainment.

I don't see "positive message" included in any of the definitions. Still, I like to hear songs with "positive" messages in them and would like to hear more, but still, I fail to see what's wrong with making music like 50, excluding the fact that his album isn't good. Hearing songs about violence, money, and girls is nothing different than watching a typical action movie, and I like action movies.

FlipMo said:
The problem runs much deeper than 50 Cent. Corporate music labels often discourage certain lyracs because it will not 'sell'.

What would you rather hear if you're a teeny bopper (from 12 to 15 yrs of age) on the Hiphop wagon: Song about sex with incredible production, OR, social-concious lyracism with an average beat?

For sure he or she will choose the one with incredible production and sex. Most kids don't care about social problems. They're in that mind state of have fun and fuck everyone else.

Yes, 50 doesn't help the situation with his gun totting lyrics. Most rappers talking only about gats don't help the situation. There was a day and age where not everything was about; dough, bling, hoes and heaters. I'm not saying you can't never talk about it, but at least do it in a smarter or original way or not plague the whole album with it.

The problem has been building up for a long time.

From no originality, to corporate fuckheads milking every drop outta hiphop, to rappers selling their true views of MC-ing for a a couple of milions of dollars and a new bentley.

Talking about we should download and share the music? Should I share my hard working money to corporations and artists putting the same crap album after album on shelves? No.

If I'm buying an album, I want to get something of quality work if not, a show of potential.

I will buy an album after listening to it and seeing that it's worth my money.

I.E: Masta Ace - A Long Hot Summer.

So in other words, you keep doing your thing, I will keep doing mine, but don't say I'm killing Hiphop because I refuse to support popstars instead of artists.

Peace
truth
:thumb:

Why are so many ppl critizising Hip Hop today, but on the other hand defending and accepting rappers like 50 cent? With arguments like:"Hey, dont mind, these rapper do rap about chains and butts, but you know what? Its entertainment, they are doin their thang!" Ain´t it paradox? I think many ppl dont have any statements, they can hold on longer than one day.
To blame some Artist may be wrong, you should blame ppl who accept every crap, cause the expectations have been pushed down to an unbelievable low level. The result is, that shitty rappers like J-kwon can make much money supported by ppl, who say "its clubmusic". Clubmusic also could have a high standard, but ppl eat everything that is on the plate.

sooooooooo when i make a thread about the jew bigwigs exploitin hip hop and get black balled even tho its a 'harsh fact' lol. but yet ppl say it regardless,

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
The "death" of hip-hop, or rap music, was down to the success of 2pac shakur. He was so succesful that he is now the persona every other rapper wants to be.
Every rapper who is succesful in the mainstream is trying to emulate him in one way or another. Maybe I'm going a bit far, but rappers are trying to act too much like that stereotype these days.

I don't personally think rap is dying, there is still a lot of good artists out there. I prefer originality, which is something mainstream hip-hop lacks. I guess labels want to stick with a succesful formula. Eminem and Dre don't help, it's their succesful formula that gave us songs like Candyshop, Just Lose it etc.
I want a hip-hop artist with great technical skills, who's never been shot and doesn't belong to a gang. Not too many of them in the mainstream.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online