Rap Music is killing Hip Hop Culture

Hip-hop is dying, and it is dying because of rap music.

Before you get that perplexed look on your face, please keep in mind that rap and Hip-hop are two different things.

Rap is a music genre that is linked to the Hip-hop culture. Rap is to Hip-hop as chapter is to book.

Hip-hop is dying, and 50 Cent is holding the murder weapon. As a rap artist, 50 Cent's success includes being ranked No. 1 on the Billboard charts for weeks and selling more than 870,000 CDs, making him the rap equivalent of Britney Spears: Not only does he not add anything positive to the music genre, but he also exploits it for his own financial gain.

50 Cent's idea of entertaining lyricism includes a song titled "Bloodhound" where he says, "I love to pump crack/ Love to stay strapped/ Love to squeeze gats but you don’t hear me, though."

What is occurring here, and in most cases in Hip-hop, is the push from big record labels who aren't concerned with the integrity of the music or message, but how many units of a violent and negative record they can sell.

Hip-hop is the graffiti, the urban vernacular, the breakdancing, the culture and way of life that rap is a prominent part of.

The thirst for money and perpetuation of violence is the reason why rap is dying, and it is killing Hip-hop in the process.

To understand how these diseases have infested the genre, you have to know how rap artists are defined. If I have to explain why Talib Kweli and Jay-Z are both commercial rappers, I am going to break my headphones.

The word "commercial" means for profit. Anyone selling his or her CD for money is a commercial artist.

Many people will argue that it is the lyrical content that separates different rappers. For instance, because Jay-Z and The Clipse rap about money, drugs and women, their music is put in a different category than Common or Mos Def, whose lyrics are about cultural awareness. What people fail to realize is that no matter what the messages, the artists make a profit. The only difference is the number of zeroes behind the dollar sign when you compare one artist to another.

Which leads me to my second point. People who take money away from the artists' record sales are stealing from the art form.

It is a sad day in Hip-hop that artists have to protect their music from "fans" stealing the songs.

Artists like Jay-Z have to cleverly maneuver their way around pirates that are trying to release his CD "The Black Album" before he does.

"That's why we're moving the release date,"Jay-Z said in the article. "There's no honor among thieves, people bootleg strictly for capital gain."

Not paying for CDs by your favorite artists is stealing, and it is another virus that is killing Hip-hop.

What did you do before Napster? Oh, I remember. You dubbed your friends’ tapes for the songs you wanted. Well, it was called piracy back then too.

Besides a couple of interviews with some rappers, I have no ties to the industry; I am disappointed in sharing music files as a fan. If these artists are good enough for you to listen to, than why not support the music they are making financially?

Don’t misconstrue what I am saying. Hip-hop is not dying because supposed rap fans keep stabbing it in the back. Many of the artists in rotation right now are not responsible for the sounds, messages and images they are inundating their audiences with.

It is bad enough that the culture is being diluted by the elements of Hip-hop being used to sell common products.

The music industry is nothing but a conglomerated machine that pushes 50 Cent onto the masses and uses the media's negative stereotype of young African-American males to further their market share in urban music.

As far as I am concerned, Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson is a worthless pawn holding the gun that is killing the integrity of rap music that others before him have struggled to earn.

There are several factors that play into the death of Hip-hop. Destructive rap music provided by "entertainers" like 50 Cent are hurting the genre from the inside, and bootleggers stealing from the artists are causing a dichotomy in the social exchange that Hip-hop offered through rap music.

Now everything is a battle to the death.

What do you think about that?

xxx

didnt read it all, maybe i should but it doesnt look like anything that i havent already heard before!

Dont blame 50 Cent. Blame Fabolous. Everything that comes out of his mouth his rims this and bling that. Blame Nelly for making pop songs. Blame Snoop for making it cool to be a sellout. Blame the intelligent record companies that know how to target a nice promotion when they see one.

Starts with something controversial to get your attention and then moves on to bootleggers. Exceptionally badly written. Where did you get it from?

Oh and saying rap is to hiphop like chapter to book is wrong. Rap is hiphop (well, 90% of it anyway).

I'm actually struggling to see what the point of the article is? Save rap from bootleggers? Keep rap non-commercial?? What's the point?

but I do agree that 50 is bad for the game, but 20 years ago I'm sure all the pioneers knew that this would happen one day - rap is becoming so popular, that you're going to have people in the genre that are "pop artists". You don't see people saying "Green Day are ruining rock" or whatever do you? You're always gonna get good artists in any genre - it just becomes more difficult to find them amongst all the pop music.

Tonio1986 said:
"There's no honor among thieves, people bootleg strictly for capital gain."
coming from a guy that helped rap get to its shitty state and calls himself a "hustler" :rolleyes:
also coming from a motherfucking crack dealer, who helped pump drugs into his own fucking community, i dont know why people even buy his albums, the man is garbage.

badly written.

:rolleyes:

Oh and saying rap is to hiphop like chapter to book is wrong. Rap is hiphop (well, 90% of it anyway).

Yes, its a big chapter but its not all.

I'm actually struggling to see what the point of the article is? Save rap from bootleggers? Keep rap non-commercial?? What's the point?

Read the headline.

well, HOW is it killing hiphop culture? By becoming popular?? Where are the examples, are there significantly less B-Boy's now than in the 80s? I don't think so, it seems that it's spread all over the world - Japan, France, Sweden, UK, all over... I don't get it. Explain it to me.

It fucking lambastes 99% of rappers for being in it for profit & not staying true.

And then rips into the fans & worse still, the bootleggers - whatever happened to staying true? Selling shit out of your trunk has been happening since waaaay back. Now it's downloading - same shit, different form.

ARon

Gekko said:
well, HOW is it killing hiphop culture? By becoming popular?? Where are the examples, are there significantly less B-Boy's now than in the 80s? I don't think so, it seems that it's spread all over the world - Japan, France, Sweden, UK, all over... I don't get it. Explain it to me.
Hip-hop is worldwide but your only as good as your weakest link, those people in other countries mainly see the 50 cents and so forth. I could understand why he said rap is killing hip-hop, even though i dont agree with anything else really. i can give a fuck about the underground, the underground holds no weight in the eyes of the masses, it does in mine but too many people are blind to it, so they see some commercial ass rap with no message of anything. I said it before, people would rather see death and destruction than life and love, rather hear songs aobut killing people and drugs than songs about feeding your family and being a father. So we ourselves are killing hip-hop not just rap, we are the consumers of it, we make it ok for an artist to sell out cus we think it is so tight when we see an H2 on 26's. I mean what the fuck, we think cars and shiny objects are so cool, why not have them brag about how many libraries they have built or computers they have donated to schools, i want to hear a rapper say, "i donated millions in the tsunami relief". But no never, we would rather hear a rapper talk about the other shit. We are products of our enviroment, so blame yourself and so on, its a chain of who is to blame, and trendy rap artists are at the forefront.

Gekko said:

Bullshit, i bet you are a huge em fan, and could not name the 5 elements of hip hop without researching on the internet. People like you who blatantly listen to the tim westwood show are ruining hip hop

Tonio1986 said:
Hip-hop is dying, and 50 Cent is holding the murder weapon. As a rap artist, 50 Cent's success includes being ranked No. 1 on the Billboard charts for weeks and selling more than 870,000 CDs, making him the rap equivalent of Britney Spears: Not only does he not add anything positive to the music genre, but he also exploits it for his own financial gain.
What do you think about that?
bein a rapper is 50 cents job, why sudnt he do it for finacial gain?? would you work for free?

theblast: oh dear, I think you've picked the wrong guy there. I don't understand how you've just managed to jump to that bullshit conclusion...

currently in rotation:
Follow The Leader - Eric B. & Rakim
Will Rap for Food - CunninLynguists
Testament - Cormega
I am - NaS
Healthy Distrust - Sage Francis

Nope, no Eminem in sight. 5 elements I could name them, but the fact is I don't give a shit about some of them. All I know is that when I was 5 years old I heard Kane, Kool G Rap etc and fell in love.

Who are you to tell me what hiphop should and shouldn't be? Without rhyming (and DJing) nobody would give a shit about hiphop apart from Bboy's - and how many of us can seriously say we are..?

..and you can go read through all my posts if you want and see if i ever post in a 50, Em, Nelly, Ja Rule, or ANY other bullshit beef thread.

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
The problem runs much deeper than 50 Cent. Corporate music labels often discourage certain lyracs because it will not 'sell'.

What would you rather hear if you're a teeny bopper (from 12 to 15 yrs of age) on the Hiphop wagon: Song about sex with incredible production, OR, social-concious lyracism with an average beat?

For sure he or she will choose the one with incredible production and sex. Most kids don't care about social problems. They're in that mind state of have fun and fuck everyone else.

Yes, 50 doesn't help the situation with his gun totting lyrics. Most rappers talking only about gats don't help the situation. There was a day and age where not everything was about; dough, bling, hoes and heaters. I'm not saying you can't never talk about it, but at least do it in a smarter or original way or not plague the whole album with it.

The problem has been building up for a long time.

From no originality, to corporate fuckheads milking every drop outta hiphop, to rappers selling their true views of MC-ing for a a couple of milions of dollars and a new bentley.

Talking about we should download and share the music? Should I share my hard working money to corporations and artists putting the same crap album after album on shelves? No.

If I'm buying an album, I want to get something of quality work if not, a show of potential.

I will buy an album after listening to it and seeing that it's worth my money.

I.E: Masta Ace - A Long Hot Summer.

So in other words, you keep doing your thing, I will keep doing mine, but don't say I'm killing Hiphop because I refuse to support popstars instead of artists.

Peace

my mistake, don't want beef or anything, but rap is the most commercially viable aspect of the hip hop culture. If you were to weight the value of each element it would come out as the most important, but it certainly is not 90% thats such a crock of shit its untrue.Commercial Rap publicised by major record labels is killing hip hop.
That is a truer statement.

I apologize for questioning your musical tastes, but i disagree with your statement.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online