Rap fans face eachother in this thread..Wtf is wrong with us?

_carmi

me, myself & us
jason_g_718 said:
Bank Robber...you have now become my favorite person on this forum for that comment to Hurts aka Dondi aka One MC On DJ.

Matter of fact, this shit's going into my sig.

To Hurts: Don't even bother replying to this talking shit because it'll be ignored. You think you some kinda masta Don around here but it's clear people find you as big a clown as you think I am.

Oh...and you're always talking about "owning" people...well, Bank just owned your ass.

damn u still alive?? were u been? we missed u :rolleyes:

we always trying to find some rapper that will be like 2pac. and even whe we find one, we say he's a biter cuz he is like 2pac.

ArtsyGirl

I think people should be critical of rappers who dont meet their standards, sometimes its completely obvious they are selling out the entire hip hop culture so I think its neccessary. What I think should change is less talk about the artists who arn't representing Hip Hop right and more talk about the ones who are. Instead of bitching all the time conversate about the real artists out there. But probably people on here like to hate more than they want to love.

Tonio1986 said:
But is it wrong what the older say? Rap back then was much better, thats a fact, everyone who is older than 15 will agree. We dont have to accept crap like chingy.
No I don't think it is wrong to say what you prefer the most I think it is wrong to use that as an excuse to hate on certain things. I have said this before and I think you can easily enjoy todays music as much as you used to enjoy the older music. I don't see why that is not possible. Just get on soulseek underground chat as we all know underground heads love to son eachother bad...Claim to know what real hip hop is but damn times have changed and so has hip hop so does that mean todays hip hop mainstream or underground isn't real hip hop?

Shit for those haven't noticed I am trying to get a hip hop discussion going again.

jason_g_718 said:
Bank Robber...you have now become my favorite person on this forum for that comment to Hurts aka Dondi aka One MC On DJ.

Matter of fact, this shit's going into my sig.

To Hurts: Don't even bother replying to this talking shit because it'll be ignored. You think you some kinda masta Don around here but it's clear people find you as big a clown as you think I am.

Oh...and you're always talking about "owning" people...well, Bank just owned your ass.

shut your fuckin teeth man, how did bankrobber "own his ass' as you put it, all he done is come in and make a stupid freepost at a threadmaker who's bringin up real issue's to debate/discuss. ill tell u time and time again your a retard. 28 and runnin round a forum praisin a 17 year old, for fuck, u even put it in your sig. was it that funny or clever, no.

and in no way shape or form can you call him a clown and., fuck it iv had enough typin , ill do some copy/pastin

jason_g_718 said:
Am I the only one who thinks there's a difference between hip hop and rap? I know, or at least I think that most people just see the two as being synonyms of each other, but I don't see it that way. For example, from my perspective, here's the difference between rap and hip hop:

Hip Hop music is songs such as:
Changes, Country Grammar, In Da Club, Business, Holidae Inn

Rap music is songs such as:
Blasphemy, Soldier, Black Gloves, What's My Name?

To me hip hop is representative of songs that have more of a lighter attitude about them, or songs that have a pop-like sound. For example, Business is a hip hop song, but I don't see it being pop. However, Changes is also a hip hop song to me, but it is DEFINATELY pop.

And obviously by the things I typed above, a rapper can make both hip hop AND rap songs.

Am I the only one that views this from this perspective?
PLease never call someone a clown again. stop postin while your at it

ARon

The problem is the QUALITY of music that was being put out back then compared to now, too many new rappers "dumbin down", saying fuck it, as long as im makin cash i can give a fuck about my art. Plus i think this generation of fans is fucking stupid, if rapper has to be stupider in order to go platinum then what does that tell you. i dont know, once these "artists" start actually makin music then they can earn some respect, you got to earn your stripes remeber.

ArtsyGirl

Originally Posted by jason_g_718

Am I the only one who thinks there's a difference between hip hop and rap? I know, or at least I think that most people just see the two as being synonyms of each other, but I don't see it that way. For example, from my perspective, here's the difference between rap and hip hop:

Hip Hop music is songs such as:
Changes, Country Grammar, In Da Club, Business, Holidae Inn

Rap music is songs such as:
Blasphemy, Soldier, Black Gloves, What's My Name?

To me hip hop is representative of songs that have more of a lighter attitude about them, or songs that have a pop-like sound. For example, Business is a hip hop song, but I don't see it being pop. However, Changes is also a hip hop song to me, but it is DEFINATELY pop.

And obviously by the things I typed above, a rapper can make both hip hop AND rap songs.

Am I the only one that views this from this perspective?
Oh My God! :eek: *shake my head*

Aristotle said:
The problem is the QUALITY of music that was being put out back then compared to now, too many new rappers "dumbin down", saying fuck it, as long as im makin cash i can give a fuck about my art. Plus i think this generation of fans is fucking stupid, if rapper has to be stupider in order to go platinum then what does that tell you. i dont know, once these "artists" start actually makin music then they can earn some respect, you got to earn your stripes remeber.
Well why did they dumb down ? I mean I don't think these artists are saying fuck my art I do think they are saying I wanna get my money even if that means I will have to make songs that won't get me respect from people. These songs bring in enough money why do they bring in enough money because times have changed in hip hop is a lot of money. Was there a lot of money in hip-hop b4 it became such a business and was that the end of the art? I think not the art is still out there and the art is made for those who appreciate it. Art is not about selling an album or is it? When you make art you don't make it to sell it cuz if you do you are trying to sell a product am I right? So those who make the ''art'' don't make it for the major public I guess. I guess the new generation of fans does not give a fuck about what you can tell or not the average fan just wants it to sound good and that is what sells nowadays and I also think the average fan is younger now so they appeal to other shit. I can't state that as a fact so some older heads will have to tell me.
Newayz that would mean the target group has changed and that obviously has changed hiphop in some way but the art is still there.

Fuck it I lost my focus so I can't type some read worthy shit..

Oh btw let's not diss Jason let him say whatever he wants to say even if you disagree just let him say what he wants. Just remember the threads he makes and you can laugh in yourself let's not trash the board with our comments about him it would only give him a greater feeling. Let him feel intelligent..

ArtsyGirl

one mc on dj said:
Well why did they dumb down ? I mean I don't think these artists are saying fuck my art I do think they are saying I wanna get my money even if that means I will have to make songs that won't get me respect from people. These songs bring in enough money why do they bring in enough money because times have changed in hip hop is a lot of money. Was there a lot of money in hip-hop b4 it became such a business and was that the end of the art? I think not the art is still out there and the art is made for those who appreciate it. Art is not about selling an album or is it? When you make art you don't make it to sell it cuz if you do you are trying to sell a product am I right? So those who make the ''art'' don't make it for the major public I guess. I guess the new generation of fans does not give a fuck about what you can tell or not the average fan just wants it to sound good and that is what sells nowadays and I also think the average fan is younger now so they appeal to other shit. I can't state that as a fact so some older heads will have to tell me.
Newayz that would mean the target group has changed and that obviously has changed hiphop in some way but the art is still there.

Somewhere along the road Hip Hop found a way to make alot of money but it meant making the music for a different audience. And to maintain the attention of the listeners they needed to make Hip Hop sound more Pop. What it also meant was the true essence of Hip Hop being removed for greater sales capabilities and therefore in my eyes a complete disattachment from Hip Hop and creating Hip Pop. Those that do this are obviously looking for money and not a higher level of music being brought to the table, which is fine. But there are certain fans of the artform out there that will not appreciate that kind of music and its not meant to, as long as the right people are liking it and the radio's are playing it the rapper wont care. Every now and then a record gets picked up that actually has some lyrical talent shown and sells.

artisticgurl said:
Somewhere along the road Hip Hop found a way to make alot of money but it meant making the music for a different audience. And to maintain the attention of the listeners they needed to make Hip Hop sound more Pop. What it also meant was the true essence of Hip Hop being removed for greater sales capabilities and therefore in my eyes a complete disattachment from Hip Hop and creating Hip Pop. Those that do this are obviously looking for money and not a higher level of music being brought to the table, which is fine. But there are certain fans of the artform out there that will not appreciate that kind of music and its not meant to, as long as the right people are liking it and the radio's are playing it the rapper wont care. Every now and then a record gets picked up that actually has some lyrical talent shown and sells.
Uh huh that was a nice post :thumb: but I think if we are looking for that artform we should just accept the fact that there is that thing that you call hip pop. I mean Hip Hop has grown a lot and in some eyes in the wrong way but look @ how many ppl are into regardless of what they know about the history or art. Hip Hop is still doing it's thing. Offcourse I prefer the art too! That's the most beautiful to hear in my opinion but unfortunately for me and you and with us a lot of others not everyone thinks like that. Some what am I saying a lot of people just want it to sound good. I've seen ppl saying again that hip hop started as party music than that is what you should say about todays hip pop and its fans/folllowers. That is how I feel about it. When you look at that way hip hop hasn't changed that much it has only become bigger.

I wanna keep this discussion/thread goin so please reply. Others too if you have something to add to it just do it! :thumb:

ArtsyGirl

one mc on dj said:
Uh huh that was a nice post :thumb: but I think if we are looking for that artform we should just accept the fact that there is that thing that you call hip pop. I mean Hip Hop has grown a lot and in some eyes in the wrong way but look @ how many ppl are into regardless of what they know about the history or art. Hip Hop is still doing it's thing. Offcourse I prefer the art too! That's the most beautiful to hear in my opinion but unfortunately for me and you and with us a lot of others not everyone thinks like that. Some what am I saying a lot of people just want it to sound good. I've seen ppl saying again that hip hop started as party music than that is what you should say about todays hip pop and its fans/folllowers. That is how I feel about it. When you look at that way hip hop hasn't changed that much it has only become bigger.

I wanna keep this discussion/thread goin so please reply. Others too if you have something to add to it just do it! :thumb:
I just feel that the people that listen to the commercial side arnt respecting the artform or history mainly because they dont know anything about it. And the rappers dont do good on showing it. I think if thats what the rapper wants to do, make alotta money and not good hip hop, then they can do that I'm just not gonna buy their records. But if its on at a club I wont stand statue (except for In Da Club lol). Hip Hop should show every emotion including happiness but it should stay true at the same time.

good thread one mc

i'd consider myself an older hiphop fan....i love hiphop, its been my life for over 10 years...but it really has taken a turn for the worse...(not to say that its dying tho)

let me try to explain to you what our view is..

basically back in the day....you had these artists that existed outside of the mainstream -basically becuase the mainstream considered it a passing fad (when in fact, it was one of the greatest art-forms to ever come along)....

you had these great acts out like cypress hill, wu-tang, nwa -then dre/snoop, naughty by nature...etc etc....they all had their own message, and more importantly their OWN sound! -rhyme biting back then was a HUGE thing, everybody was striving to make their mark with thier sound/their message/thier own style.

then the mainstream saw how much money was to made out of this whole "rap thing" -and infected it with $$....now you have MC's biting rhymes, and ghost writing for eachother MC's - you have MC's singing on RnB tracks (something that was consider fake back in the day)...and you have MC's rhymin over these over-produced tracks....that have NO soul in them what so ever (compare them to some oldschool RZA or Premier beats...and u'll hear the difference) ....but most importantly all these MTV MC's really arent saying anything new -its the same recycled 3 themes OVER and OVER.

basically the majority of the music as lost its soul (due to the $$ factor).....maybe you could see why this shit would make somebody like me so mad?

now thats not to say that ALL music now days is like this...there are some *new* acts taking the art in the right direction:

9th wonder production has a lot of soul
Canibus
Murs
Royce 5'9 (when produced by premo)
Talib
Mos Def

and Nas/KRS/Common/Ghostface/few others are always keepin the real.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.