Random:

roaches said:
Strictly speaking, backpackers are hardcore fans of underground hip-hop and hip-hop in general, not the people who make them. The term comes from the habit of New York college students hanging out in record stores buying underground hip-hop records and rocking Jansport backpacks. Backpackers had the Illmatic bootleg with the different version of "Represent", were fans of "Party and Bullshit" and "Unbelievable" and hated "Juicy", were on the Wu's shit with "Protect Ya Neck", listened to Stretch & Bobbito, etc.

Basically, backpacker : hip-hop :: record store clerk : rock music

Nowadays being a backpacker is supposed to be a bad thing, just like it's a bad thing to be liberal in modern American politics. This is mostly because of the backlash against The Underground that happened when Common/Black Star/Roots/etc. started sucking and their fans couldn't come to terms with the fact that they were never down in the first place, they just thought "Definition" was cool and "Don't See Us" was cool and it was even better that those guys were semi-unpopular.

I could go on a long rant on this topic, but it'd be incoherent.
I Agree with all that, and I get into simualr discousions with people.

but on the Commercial level they are backpackers, shit they are the Gucci Backpackers but they backpackers.

KanDeeMan said:
Try to find the Summer Breeze (Remix), they had it on Westcoast2k.net awhile ago, as much as I love the original off of Safe & Sound, the remix KILLS it.
QUOTE]
i got that shit, even made a hennessy remix over that beat, check my sig

roaches

but on the Commercial level they are backpackers, shit they are the Gucci Backpackers but they backpackers.
Lmao. No they aren't. They're post-backpackers at best.

* How is Mos Def a backpacker when he kisses P Diddy's ass in interviews, wants to make a rock album, and his first solo LP went gold? Not to mention that he's publicly denounced the whole idea of pure hip-hop in the first place.
* How is Kanye West a backpacker when he rocks R&B choruses, never works with non-major label acts outside of popular Chicago rappers, and wants to work with John Mayer more than anyone else?
* How is COMMON a backpacker when his last four singles were produced by Kanye West, Kanye West, the Neptunes (with Mary J Blige on the hook, no less), and the Neptunes; he had enough cloud EIGHT years ago to get Lauryn Hill to sing his chorus, and the guests on his last album all sing instead of rap (with the exception of Kanye... who Common fit in by bumping off a great verse from a talented unpopular rapper).

roaches said:
Lmao. No they aren't. They're post-backpackers at best.

* How is Mos Def a backpacker when he kisses P Diddy's ass in interviews, wants to make a rock album, and his first solo LP went gold? Not to mention that he's publicly denounced the whole idea of pure hip-hop in the first place.
* How is Kanye West a backpacker when he rocks R&B choruses, never works with non-major label acts outside of popular Chicago rappers, and wants to work with John Mayer more than anyone else?
* How is COMMON a backpacker when his last four singles were produced by Kanye West, Kanye West, the Neptunes (with Mary J Blige on the hook, no less), and the Neptunes; he had enough cloud EIGHT years ago to get Lauryn Hill to sing his chorus, and the guests on his last album all sing instead of rap (with the exception of Kanye... who Common fit in by bumping off a great verse from a talented unpopular rapper).
at one time they where backpackers, there you accept that? if not then :cool::thumb:

roaches said:
Asking if a hip-hop producer makes a beat without sampling is like asking if a rapper performs 16 bars without rapping.
Ok do they ever make a beat without heavy sampling? Sped up voices etc.

AmerikazMost

roaches said:
* So Rakim is recording with the Heatmakerz.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roaches, this is an emotional moment for me, so don't take this the wrong way, but I love you man.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roaches said:
Strictly speaking, backpackers are hardcore fans of underground hip-hop and hip-hop in general, not the people who make them. The term comes from the habit of New York college students hanging out in record stores buying underground hip-hop records and rocking Jansport backpacks. Backpackers had the Illmatic bootleg with the different version of "Represent", were fans of "Party and Bullshit" and "Unbelievable" and hated "Juicy", were on the Wu's shit with "Protect Ya Neck", listened to Stretch & Bobbito, etc.

Basically, backpacker : hip-hop :: record store clerk : rock music

Nowadays being a backpacker is supposed to be a bad thing, just like it's a bad thing to be liberal in modern American politics. This is mostly because of the backlash against The Underground that happened when Common/Black Star/Roots/etc. started sucking and their fans couldn't come to terms with the fact that they were never down in the first place, they just thought "Definition" was cool and "Don't See Us" was cool and it was even better that those guys were semi-unpopular.

I could go on a long rant on this topic, but it'd be incoherent.
Aight, thanks for clearing that up :thumb:

*Canibus is supposedly working with Kanye West. Any thoughts on that? You think it's going to sound good, as the material with Kanye & Common did?

*Is Kool G Rap going to drop another LP?

*Will Crooked I's album come out in September? Will the supposed production from Kanye, Scott Storch, & Dre live up to its expectations?

*In a battle who would win - Canibus or Cassidy?

*Is it just me or does anyone else here feel like they could rip Dylan & Roscoe in a freestyle battle?

Roaches - I feel a lot of material from Jus Allah. I think Jedi Mind Tricks is definitely better with him in their crew and I think he should be a part of their next album because his lyrics are pretty good. I like him a lot.

roaches said:
Backpackers had the Illmatic bootleg with the different version of "Represent",
STOP THE PRESSES!

THERE WAS A DIFFERENT VERSION OF REPRESENT? DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS, AND WISH TO SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE WHO'S FAVORITE SONG IS REPRESENT?!

p.s. i would love you for infinity..... yo

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.