Random:

roaches

* So Rakim is recording with the Heatmakerz.
* GRODT overshadowed the masterpiece that was Philadelphia Freeway. The Massacre similarly overshadowed The B. Coming. Now I'm tempted to look back and check: did The Documentary overshadow a great Cali album? Did The Hunger for More overshadow a great east coast album? Did Cashville overshadow a great southern album?
* So how's that Jus Allah?
* After this month's Elemental... I'm kinda excited about the new Buckshot.
* Is the supposed anti-underground backlash over yet?
* Roscoe on "I Call Shots" > AZ on "Life's a Bitch"
* KDAY is the greatest radio station in the world. They need to set up an online stream. UC-? is on my short list of medical schools just because of it. Does that shit reach only SoCal?
* Kanye's verse on "They Say" and the Rick James line on "Chi City"... what the fuck, dude?
* Hi-Tek recorded a song with Nas.
* Millie buck with the quickness... it was over.

linx

Staff member
Word @ Rakim recording with Heatmakerz and Nas recording a song with Hi-Tek. That's definitely shit to look forward to. As far as that Jus Allah, I still aint heard that shit. I need to get it though for sure.

See, you were sceptical of Buckshot when you first heard of the project... i knew he would come good.

Also, is that goddamn Monkey Barz out yet? I got sick of trying to follow it's release.

*Quik's afternoon drive drops from 92.3 The Beat years ago were some of the best short bursts of music I've ever heard (Afternoon Drive Pts. 1 & 2, Bedtime Story, Everyday Thing, Top of My Treehouse, none are over 2 minutes, but they blow away 90% of hip-hop released over the past 7 years).

*Tech N9ne is slowly being overtaken by ICP fans, it's a shame they're pretty much the only people who go to his shows now, they pretty much ruin it for everybody else who actually go to hear his music. Don't be surprised if Tech goes to Psychopathic in the next year or so, that'd be the biggest waste of an amazing talent in years.

*Speaking of "biggest waste of an amazing talent", the 213 album had no Warren G production whatsoever. Travesty. After waiting for years, I still haven't gotten over how underwhelming that album was/is.

*Just Watchin' is up there with Play Your Cards Right as the best unreleased 'Pac song yet.

*Bosko is slowly becoming a pretty damn popular Cali producer. Besides working with E-40, Too $hort, Keak, and the normal Northern Cali contacts, he's been on Limp Bizkit's 2001 remix record, TI's Trap Muzik record, Bone Thugs's latest record, and did talkbox on Kanye's College Dropout record. Also, he got Lil Jon and DMX on his "That Fire" record, and he's remixed songs by Lil Flip and Lil Kim.

*Dru Down is THE most underrated rapper from the Bay Area. He should be where Yuk is right now, right below 40 as the Bay Area kingpin. Dru's Can You Feel Me album is one of the many classic West Coast records that came out in 1996, and he constantly outshines pretty much every rapper on songs he guest-stars on ("Pimpin', Playin', Hustlin'" off Boo-Yaa TRIBE's 2000 record Mafia Lyfestyle is a great example).

*"Mahogany" is one of the most overlooked Eric B. & Rakim songs, great Al Green sample.

How's THAT for random?

Random:

- I have never owned (real or burnt), downloaded, or even listened through, an Eminem album in my life. The only songs of his i've ever liked were:

that track from the second Soundbombing called "Any Man"
and some track which i heard on a Jazzy Jeff mixtape where he's talking to his daughter about killing his girl or someshit
and i'll admit, i rewinded his verse on "Dead Wrong" when i first heard it, although i couldn't listen to it now

- Listening to some old 2Pac, it really frustrates me how many of his songs the Outlawz ruined. "Staring Thru My Rearview" is on some next level shit, and that first verse is incredible, and then just when you're expecting an even doper verse, you get that weak voice and flow of whoever that is. Bar the THUGLIFE album and MATW, his best music is contained in "Pain", "Hold Ya Head", "Heartz of Men" and "Troublesome '96".

- Although AZ's song is cool, the Geto Boys flipped the sample on "I Tried" better.

- DJ Quik's "Summer Breeze" is officially the dopest summer song ever.

That's all i got.

Try to find the Summer Breeze (Remix), they had it on Westcoast2k.net awhile ago, as much as I love the original off of Safe & Sound, the remix KILLS it.

And the dopest summer jam of all time is "Eastside LB" by the Twinz off of their Converation record. Just listen to it, best beat Warren G ever made.

7 Syns

- 2 of the most liked underground emcee's (tragedy & killah priest) make a group (Black Market Malitia) but no one seems to care?

- Public Enemy recording a new record, who's gonna be copping it?

- Speaking on Warren G, whats the go with his next opus?

- Cormega is dope, but his left out some of the dopest cuts off his LP's. To that, "All I Need Is You" with Jonell was a certified chart topper. His still on fire though.

- Lloyd Bank$ talking about making "The Big Withdraw" a grimmey New York record a'la '93/'94/'95 era hip-hop. If it's true to word, will you check it?

- Pimp C out later this year?? And who's looking foward to Bun-B's "Trill"?

peace.

KanDeeMan said:
*Tech N9ne is slowly being overtaken by ICP fans, it's a shame they're pretty much the only people who go to his shows now, they pretty much ruin it for everybody else who actually go to hear his music. Don't be surprised if Tech goes to Psychopathic in the next year or so, that'd be the biggest waste of an amazing talent in years.

*Just Watchin' is up there with Play Your Cards Right as the best unreleased 'Pac song yet.

*Dru Down is THE most underrated rapper from the Bay Area. He should be where Yuk is right now, right below 40 as the Bay Area kingpin. Dru's Can You Feel Me album is one of the many classic West Coast records that came out in 1996, and he constantly outshines pretty much every rapper on songs he guest-stars on ("Pimpin', Playin', Hustlin'" off Boo-Yaa TRIBE's 2000 record Mafia Lyfestyle is a great example).
1) I hate the ICP clowns fucking up Tech N9ne I guess I live in ICP's home from home so there is ton's of juggalo's here,
I wish Tech would have just got with QDIII and do a whole CD.

2) you are fucking smokeing, just watching was maybe the most hyped let down of recent leaks. it is a groovy track but when compaird to "Set it off"(Tounge Kissin) it seems like a scrap, and I personaly dig the One Nation tracks so "My Own Style" I think is Actully right up there as the best Unreleased.

3) hell yeah I love "Can U Feel me" one of the most bass heavy CD's ever. I blew a few set's of spekers to that CD.

Try to find the Summer Breeze (Remix), they had it on Westcoast2k.net awhile ago, as much as I love the original off of Safe & Sound, the remix KILLS it.

And the dopest summer jam of all time is "Eastside LB" by the Twinz off of their Converation record. Just listen to it, best beat Warren G ever made.
Just listened to the remix. It is dope, but i still prefer the original. Something about it.. just puts me in this high. That site is fucking dope, by the way. I didn't realize they had that much music over there. A lot of unreleased/rare/remix shit aswell.

I listened to the Quik drops you were talking about in your first post, too, and they're nice. Makes me even more hungry for his next LP.

And on that Twinz, the whole Conversation LP is amazing. One of the great summer CD's. My favorite joint on there was always "Don't Get It Twisted".

Some day i gotta gather 150 of my favorite west coast summer time tracks from that era and just burn 'em all to an MP3 disc.

Peace.

DPG iz all I C

roaches said:
* GRODT overshadowed the masterpiece that was Philadelphia Freeway. The Massacre similarly overshadowed The B. Coming. Now I'm tempted to look back and check: did The Documentary overshadow a great Cali album? Did The Hunger for More overshadow a great east coast album? Did Cashville overshadow a great southern album?
Great point lol ive never noticed that but its very true.

7 Syns said:
- Public Enemy recording a new record, who's gonna be copping it?
As enticing as the Immortal Technique and Dead Prez guest spots sound, I think it will take some amazing production from Paris to get me to buy that...and its possible I guess, Paris' last LP had some very listenable beats.

*Where the fuck is Red&Meths follow up to "Blackout"?

*Why has "Backpack Rap" been infiltrated by sellouts?(Common,Mos Def,Kanye)

*How happy are you that Cash Money is not flossing everywhere this year?

*Did that Marie Ben Arie CD ever come out? how is it, if so?

roaches

my question is, what are backpackers?
Strictly speaking, backpackers are hardcore fans of underground hip-hop and hip-hop in general, not the people who make them. The term comes from the habit of New York college students hanging out in record stores buying underground hip-hop records and rocking Jansport backpacks. Backpackers had the Illmatic bootleg with the different version of "Represent", were fans of "Party and Bullshit" and "Unbelievable" and hated "Juicy", were on the Wu's shit with "Protect Ya Neck", listened to Stretch & Bobbito, etc.

Basically, backpacker : hip-hop :: record store clerk : rock music

Nowadays being a backpacker is supposed to be a bad thing, just like it's a bad thing to be liberal in modern American politics. This is mostly because of the backlash against The Underground that happened when Common/Black Star/Roots/etc. started sucking and their fans couldn't come to terms with the fact that they were never down in the first place, they just thought "Definition" was cool and "Don't See Us" was cool and it was even better that those guys were semi-unpopular.

I could go on a long rant on this topic, but it'd be incoherent.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.