Random thoughts about flow

Bigg Limn

Staff member
roaches said:
Lol. Wow.
Explain to me how thats wow. I have never comprehended how people say he has no flow. Maybe his flow isnt as "smooth" as other MCs, but thats cuz he has a passionate delivery. He stays on beat, he just swings with the beat. He knows how 2 RIDE a beat...yet people see it as a downfall, sad.

ARon

I would describe Kweli' flow as the Jazz version of the rap world. It is on point his shit is unique for sure.

But reading the first couple posts I was thinking how you gonna describe flow without mentioning the beat. Simple as it is, just riding the beat. Ra and Biggie if you ask me.

Chronic

That 'Jazz' sound you're referring to is him struggling to stay on beat and trying to fit in too many syllables in one line. He can't write to the beat.
A good flow usually begins on paper.

ill-matic

Chronic said:
That 'Jazz' sound you're referring to is him struggling to stay on beat and trying to fit in too many syllables in one line. He can't write to the beat.

yep thats exactly what i meant

he tries to fit in way too much into one bar

Tupac Tha Great said:
Flow is the ability of a rapper to rap along to a beat.Biggie had a excellent flow.So was Pun and Big L.2Pac could flow well at times.Prodigy in his earlier days was good.
pacs flow sounds always like he freestyle shit..thats hella impressive

i think having a good flow is the difference between just being a lyricist or being a rapper, to me being a rapper you encompass everything, the way you ride the beat means so much to the overall quality of the track. people who doubt eminems flow, on gatman and robin (yes i know he has better but as an example) the first time i heard the song i had my radio on low and i had trouble hearing him because his voice followed all the ups and downs of the beat and almost blended to it perfectly. i think someone else who has good flow and delivery is fabolous, he is very monotone which might take away from the finished product, but dude can ride a beat

jasedwads

On probation, please report any break in the guidl
hmm, well alot of people will disagree with me, but i dont think flow is all that important.

what i mean is yeah, some of the rappers with 'good' flow are good to listen to.

But to me it all is about the lyrics. I know the delivery is important.

An example, Immortal technique by a lot of people is considered to have below average flow. But he is still a great rapper.

i think its important to get an all rounder , so i guess they are people like nas, pac.

Biggie could flow really good, but sometimes i did not like his lyrics on certain songs, so to me its good if a rapper can flow really well but its not the end of the world if he is not up there with other rappers in the flow department.

All you got to do is listen to Got My Mind Made Up,Troublesome 96(menacin methods lable me a lethal weapon....) Heartz of Men, even his verse of that song called PYT(playa young thug) shows his flow at its best....but yes Ghostface even Hussein Fatal(juts listen to his verse off the OG Still I Rise) all to me have very good flows....Em in his better days had a good flow ( Way I Am, Renagade,I Just dont give a fuck)

Limn said:
Sorry but if u say Kweli has no flow you don't know what flow is, nor how to flow.

his flow sounds forced....but songs like Get By, K.O.S. (Determination),Get em High(great song/verse by him he killed it) and Respiration show the ablities he has

Flow would have to be the ability to speak/spit words in a rythmic manner without imperfections, has to be flawless with no pitch problems. I think the voice and style of voice has much to do with this too. I can't say who's the best but Az on Life's a Bitch is the best i've heard yet.

Bigg Limn

Staff member
Chronic said:
Its not the fact that he puts "2 many" syllables in2 a line, its cuz he enunciates them all 4 u. Itd be easy to make his flow sound smoother by fuckin up the pronounciation a bit; but he wants everything heard so he speaks every word clearly. It's far from "struggling to stay on beat."

flow = how you rap over a beat.

this includes breath control, charisma/presence and rhythm.

simple as that.

i don't know why people are trying to come up with complicated and technical definitions.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.