Proof Updates (R.I.P.)

Man that shot and killed proof turns himself in. (MTV)

Jokerman said:
Here's what happened. Bender and Proof got in an argument. Bender pulled a gun and Proof knocked it away and it got fired at the ceiling. Proof pulled his own gun out and pistol whipped Bender knocking him to the ground. Still holding the gun, Bender started to cover Proof with it, so Proof had to shoot him. Bender's pussy cousin then shot Proof from behind.
bender was unarmed according to the police reports

Looks like Proof was defending himself, new witness says what really happened

A source exclusive to SOHH.com has revealed that the argument that resulted in the death of D12 member Proof was initiated by the other victim in the shootout over a "King of Detroit" argument.

As SOHH previously reported, Proof and Keith Bender got into a heated exchange at Triple C's nightclub early Tuesday morning (April 11) which lead to Proof pistol-whipping and shooting Bender. Proof was then gunned down by Bender's cousin as he stood over Bender.

"[Bender] started an argument with Proof, knowing who he was," the source told SOHH. "Proof told him he didn't want to hear any bullshit and that he was 'King of Detroit' and stuck his hands in [Bender's] face.

"The guy then pulled out his gun and then Proof pulled his out and shot -- hitting the guy," the source added. "The guy's cousin who is a bouncer at the club then shot Proof. They grabbed up the gun from the guy Proof shot and fled."

According to the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office, Proof was shot three times in the head and the chest. He was pronounced dead on arrival at St. John Conner Creek Village in Detroit. Bender is currently in St. Johns Hospital and Medical Center in critical condition.

On Wednesday afternoon (April 12), Mario Etheridge, a 28 year-old bouncer at the Triple C's nightclub, turned himself in to Detroit Police accompanied by his attorney Randall Upshaw. Upon arrest, he revealed he was Bender's cousin.

Etheridge is still in custody and authorities are continuing to investigate whether he should face charges in the shooting, which Detroit Police said, might have been in self-defense. But SOHH.com sources say Etheridge surrendered out of self-preservation.

"The guy turned himself in out of fear he was going to get got at by Proof's people," said the source. "Proof frequented the place and there is of course no way the bouncer or anyone else in the club didn't know who he was,"

Proof's untimely death continues to overwhelm his fans and peers in the music industry.

Today, Royce Da 5'9" expressed his feelings regarding the unfortunate passing of Proof in a statement.

"I am deeply saddened by the murder of someone I called a good friend. I've known Proof for over nine years and will always remember him for the joy and life that he brought into every room he entered. We first met at Detroit's Hip Hop Shop where Proof was hosting open mics and was considered by most to be Detroit's freestyle king. Even then you could tell there was something special about him."

"Some people might be familiar with a well-publicized beef that Proof and I had a couple of years ago," Royce added via the statement. "Thankfully though, we had not only resolved our conflict, but we also restored our friendship. Back in December, we went overseas together for a few spot dates in Europe where we had a chance to catch up on 'the good ole days.' We both laughed at how we sometimes forget how far we've come, until you look out of your hotel window and see London's Big Ben or Paris's EiffelTower. On that tour we had a chance to visit cities we never even knew existed. Not bad for two kids from Detroit, huh."

"His death is such a loss for the hip hop community, and especially for the city of Detroit. I hope that he will be remembered for the talented artist and great person that he was, and not the tragedy that he fell victim to. My thoughts and prayers go out to his entire family, friends, and anyone that was ever touched by him."

SOURCE: http://sohh.com/articles/article.php/8747

PuffnScruff

this raises some new questions like..
did Proof pistol whip Bender before or after Bender drew his weapon?

if it was before bender drew his weapon then it would seem proof did not shoot in self defense and that he started the physical part of the altercation

Dante

Meyer & Dante Best Friends4eva

not sure what to make of the pistol whipping part since if the bouncer's boys were there, why wouldn't they have stepped in and stopped it? seems fishy.

Man that shot and killed proof turns himself in. (MTV)

warriorinjewelz said:
bender was unarmed according to the police reports
actually according to what i just read a second ago bender was armed and proof may have been defending himself after all. peace

Nick

I thought this is what had happend, it was the only reasonable explanation.

PuffnScruff

i thought it seemed fishy too

i mean did proof shoot then pistol whip bender or did he pistol whip bender then shoot him, or did bender draw his weapon then proof reacted by pulling out his gun and whipping him then shooting bender.

too many questions that may not be answered.

lil_angelo said:
"The guy then pulled out his gun and then Proof pulled his out and shot -- hitting the guy," the source added. "The guy's cousin who is a bouncer at the club then shot Proof. They grabbed up the gun from the guy Proof shot and fled."

[/url]
PuffnScruff this should answer your question.

this was jacked of the ill community

"Now since shyt is airing out. Here's the version I got from people that was there.

People told me that Proof and Keith Bender were arguing back and forth about that king of Detroit bullshyt. The argument ended wit' Proof puttin' his finger all in Keith's face like shut that bullshyt up. Then they started wrestling then each other peoples got all in the mix. Keith got free, pulled his pistol, then busted shots in the air hopin' to scare people and clear the spot out. Then Proof pulled his pistol in the kaos and grabbed Keith and started pistol whippin' him. Proof got the best of Keith and he fell. Wit' Proof standing over him, Mario comes from behind and shot Proof in the back causing Proof's pistol to go off shooting Keith in the head. Then Mario popped Proof in the back of the head twice and got the fuck outta' there. Both of their bodies were laid in the empty club for minutes before people came back to pick up the bodies and drive them to the hospital.

What I just typed might not be 100 percent, but this is what I got from people that was there."

Kareem

lil_angelo said:

"Now since shyt is airing out. Here's the version I got from people that was there.

People told me that Proof and Keith Bender were arguing back and forth about that king of Detroit bullshyt. The argument ended wit' Proof puttin' his finger all in Keith's face like shut that bullshyt up. Then they started wrestling then each other peoples got all in the mix. Keith got free, pulled his pistol, then busted shots in the air hopin' to scare people and clear the spot out. Then Proof pulled his pistol in the kaos and grabbed Keith and started pistol whippin' him. Proof got the best of Keith and he fell. Wit' Proof standing over him, Mario comes from behind and shot Proof in the back causing Proof's pistol to go off shooting Keith in the head. Then Mario popped Proof in the back of the head twice and got the fuck outta' there. Both of their bodies were laid in the empty club for minutes before people came back to pick up the bodies and drive them to the hospital.

What I just typed might not be 100 percent, but this is what I got from people that was there."

if thats the case then that dude is going down for murrder 1, 1 shot is self defense but multiple thats malice.

PuffnScruff

lil_angelo said:

if this is the true story, this answers my questions.

i had a feelin that proof wasn't the type of person tht would just shoot some1 in the head, i mean dude was releasing an anti violence video this week. So why wud dude just open fire?
He had money, he had a wife and he had children, you think he gonna put all that on tha line.

R.I.P Proof

lil_angelo said:
i had a feelin that proof wasn't the type of person tht would just shoot some1 in the head, i mean dude was releasing an anti violence video this week. So why wud dude just open fire?
He had money, he had a wife and he had children, you think he gonna put all that on tha line.

R.I.P Proof
If he was so concerned about his wife and kids he wouldn't be in a club at 4:30am. He was also packin'. So what does that tell you?
Just b/c he is famous doesn't relieve him of his priorities which SHOULD HAVE BEEN his wife and kids, not some punk in a club at 4am.

I know it may sound insensitive but he could have and should have been home. Maybe this was an isolated clubbing night for him. I don't know. But all this money he had won't raise 5 kids.

Just a different perspective to think about.

ArtsyGirl

I dont think being in a club is where proof went wrong, I mean parents deserve fun too and kids are asleep at 4.30. Being a musician your supposed to be out in public and things like that, I think the argument over 'King of Detroit' is the stupid part. I mean this is one guy one opinion its nothing worth getting shot over.

Also I agree with Kareem one shot is self-defence more than that is excessive.

PuffnScruff

Tony Montana said:
If he was so concerned about his wife and kids he wouldn't be in a club at 4:30am. He was also packin'. So what does that tell you?
Just b/c he is famous doesn't relieve him of his priorities which SHOULD HAVE BEEN his wife and kids, not some punk in a club at 4am.

I know it may sound insensitive but he could have and should have been home. Maybe this was an isolated clubbing night for him. I don't know. But all this money he had won't raise 5 kids.

i'm going to admit this guy has a point

PuffnScruff

artisticgurl said:
I dont think being in a club is where proof went wrong, I mean parents deserve fun too and kids are asleep at 4.30. Being a musician your supposed to be out in public and things like that, I think the argument over 'King of Detroit' is the stupid part. I mean this is one guy one opinion its nothing worth getting shot over.

Also I agree with Kareem one shot is self-defence more than that is excessive.
yeah...because there is an law for all musicians to be out in public at all times even if they are not promoting anything

being in public doing publicity is not the same as being at a club you frequent all the time just to hang out.

Tony Montana said:

certain artists are aloud to carry weapons for protection example the game. Dude was playin pool after a hard days work wot rong with that?

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
[highlight]I didnt wanna make ANOTHER thread seeing there is ALOT on/about him already.

Eminem Concentrates on Proof's Life

He wants to remember the D-12 star's life rather than they way he died.
Friday, April 14, 2006

Click here to watch Eminem's video "Like Toy Soldiers"

Hip-hop heavyweight Eminem has spoken publicly for the first time about the murder of rapper Proof, insisting he wants to concentrate on the D-12 star's life rather than they way he died.

The 32-year-old - real name Deshaun Holton - was shot and killed at Detroit nightspot CCC on Michigan's infamous Eight Mile Road. He was pronounced dead on arrival at Conner Creek Medical Center on Tuesday morning.

Eminem counted Proof as his closest ally, and he was best man at the rapper's second wedding to Kim Mathers earlier this year.

He tells MTV, "You don't know where to begin when you lose somebody who's been such a big part of your life for so long. Proof and I were brothers.

"He pushed me to become who I am. Without Proof's guidance and encouragement there would have been a Marshall Mathers, but probably not an Eminem and certainly never a Slim Shady.

"Not a day will go by without his spirit and influence around us all. He will be missed as a friend, father and both the heart and ambassador of Detroit hip-hop."

Eminem refuses to speculate on the course of events which led to Proof's death and club bouncer Keith Bender being hospitalized in a critical condition.

He continues, "Right now, there's a lot of people focusing on the way he died. I want to remember the way he lived. Proof was funny, he was smart, he was charming. He inspired everyone around him. He can never, ever be replaced. He was, and always will be, my best friend."

source: http://jamn945.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=104659&article=448458

[/highlight]

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online