Proof Updates (R.I.P.)

Jeremy

DETROIT — A suspect in the slaying of D12 rapper Proof turned himself in Wednesday afternoon (April 12).

Mario Etheridge, a 28-year-old bouncer at the CCC Club, where the shooting occurred, is now in custody, according to the

Detroit Police Department.

Authorities have not released any more details but said Tuesday that several witnesses had pointed to Etheridge and that once police started to make contact, he turned himself in. A warrant is currently being filed for his arrest.

Police said Wednesday that evidence indicates Proof shot first and then suffered a gunshot wound to the head around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday (see "Details In Proof Shooting Emerge As Police, Second Victim's Family Speak Out"). He was pronounced dead on arrival at St. John Holy Cross Hospital

Another victim, 35-year-old Detroit resident Keith Bender Jr., also sustained a gunshot to the head and remains in critical condition at St. John Hospital and Medical Center.

Outside the precinct where Etheridge is being held, his lawyer, Randall Upshaw, said that his client "has done nothing wrong, and I'm confident the facts will come out."

Upshaw said Etheridge is cousins with Bender, and added that the latter is on life support and has suffered brain damage. He said the focus of the investigation should be on Proof, not Etheridge.

The CCC Club is located along Detroit's East Eight Mile Road. A makeshift memorial was set up there Tuesday to pay tribute to Proof, a founding member of D12 (see "Proof: 'Eminem's Best Friend' And A Vital Member Of Detroit's Hip-Hop Scene").

— Corey Moss, with additional reporting by Shaheem Reid

As fans of D12's Proof gathered Tuesday night outside the CCC Club along Detroit's East Eight Mile Road, where they've erected a makeshift memorial, details continued to emerge about the slain rapper's final moments, the shooting's other victim and

the club where the fatal incident occurred.

According to a spokesperson for the Detroit Police Department, evidence indicates Proof shot first and then suffered a gunshot wound to the head around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday (see "D12's Proof Shot And Killed At Detroit Club"); he was pronounced dead on arrival at St. John Holy Cross Hospital. A second victim, who has been identified as 35-year-old Detroit resident Keith Bender Jr., remains in critical condition at St. John Hospital and Medical Center. He also sustained a gunshot to the head.

Police were dispatched to the scene shortly after 5 a.m. Tuesday. The club — which was operating illegally, after hours — had been cleared out by the time they'd arrived. The club did not have a video surveillance system. Several witnesses have come forward to discuss the incident with investigators, but police had no suspects Tuesday night. Police located several shell casings in a parking lot across the street from the club.

"This is a sad ending to a great career that was just getting started. He will be missed."

Fans have left tributes to Proof (real name: DeShaun Holton), a founding member of the Eminem-fronted Detroit hip-hop collective D12, around the CCC Club (see "Proof: 'Eminem's Best Friend' And A Vital Member Of Detroit's Hip-Hop Scene"). On a telephone pole in front of the nightspot, fans left stuffed animals and personal messages, and according to The Detroit News, "RIP Proof" was scribbled in red ink at the bottom of the club's sign. The CCC Club was closed Tuesday night while police continued to comb for evidence and clues.

The CCC Club has been a troubled spot for more than 10 years, according to police spokesperson James Tate, who told the The Associated Press that officers have responded to 18 incidents there since 1996. The most recent visit by police came in December, when members of the city's vice squad raided the bar and slapped its owners with six violations, most for serving alcohol to minors.

Several of Bender's relatives spoke with The Detroit News, claiming that Proof shot Bender, and was then shot by someone else. "Some words were exchanged. He was at the wrong place at the wrong time," Bender's sister-in-law Angel Bender told the News. "We're still putting the pieces together."

Bender, relatives said, is a retired Army staff sergeant and a veteran of Operation Desert Storm. Both he and Proof were at the CCC Club with friends, police confirmed. Authorities have not released any information on what may have led to the altercation, but believe two guns were used during the shooting.

According to ABC News affiliate WXYZ, Bender's brother, Kyle, was one of the many visitors to the CCC Club Tuesday night. "What I don't want to happen is for [Proof] to be glorified as another fallen rapper hero," he told them. "It's senseless violence that's right here in our community and we can't get rid of it."

"I just don't know how to feel right now," D12's Denaun Porter, known within the group as Kon Artis, told the Detroit Free Press. "It's crazy because we're suffering all these losses. We lost Bugz," an original member of D12 who was shot and killed in 1999 during a picnic at Detroit's Belle Isle Park. "Now we lost Proof. I just don't know, you know what I mean? We're all so messed up. Whatever happened, whoever this dude is, is still around. This is just crazy."

In a statement released Tuesday, Proof's label, Interscope, said Tuesday that memorial-service arrangements were still being made and asked that people respect the privacy of Proof's family and friends. The Associated Press reports that Proof's family and friends gathered inside a home on Detroit's Northwest side Tuesday afternoon. Proof is survived by his wife and five children.

MTV News will have more on this developing story throughout the day.

— Chris Harris, with additional reporting by Gil Kaufman

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1528465/04122006/proof_of_d_12.jhtml
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1528465/04122006/proof_of_d_12.jhtml

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
Man that shot and killed proof turns himself in. (MTV)

damn..
proof to shoot first, what arguement woulda caused that shit.

props lansky. :thumb:

If the rumors that he shot Bender in the head are true...then he really isn't a fallen soldier...he's just a dead criminal that perpetuated senseless acts of violence within the black community...and i'm not God...so i have no right to say who deserves to die and who deserves to live...but the punishment should fit the crime...and some might say well Bender didn't die...in my book when you shoot or shoot at someone's head...you're shooting to kill...but i hope these rumors are false and the gun discharged by mistake...either way R.I.P

Nick

bigCASH said:
If the rumors that he shot Bender in the head are true...then he really isn't a fallen soldier...he's just a dead criminal that perpetuated senseless acts of violence within the black community...and i'm not God...so i have no right to say who deserves to die and who deserves to live...but the punishment should fit the crime...and some might say well Bender didn't die...in my book when you shoot or shoot at someone's head...you're shooting to kill...but i hope these rumors are false and the gun discharged by mistake...either way R.I.P
For all we know, he could have been acting in self defence - the truth might not ever come out considering the guy Proof shot is related to the guy that killed him.

Diaz

Nick said:
For all we know, he could have been acting in self defence - the truth might not ever come out considering the guy Proof shot is related to the guy that killed him.
Yeah... what I always wonder is why they use lie detectors to find out "zOMG DOES MY HUSBAND CHEAT ON ME" on Maury but they never use it to find out if a suspect is tellin the truth.

I haven't read anything that said the Police have the gun Proof used to shoot Keith Binder, Jr. Allegedly. I'm going to wait about what else will emerge.

ArtsyGirl

Either way head shot? The whole things fucked up and I doubt this is the final story on it.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member

After having a few issues with bouncers myself recently I tend not to believe a word they say. Bouncers are (9/10 times), violent bastards who do the job to make themselves feel powerful and to kick in the customers with the smallest excuse.

Proof was on his own, and there is no CCTV. Seems a little suspicious and a bit early to judge the "story".

Lok

Diaz said:
Yeah... what I always wonder is why they use lie detectors to find out "zOMG DOES MY HUSBAND CHEAT ON ME" on Maury but they never use it to find out if a suspect is tellin the truth.
Of course they do, you just can't use it in court + the person has to agree.

ArtsyGirl

Pittsey said:
After having a few issues with bouncers myself recently I tend not to believe a word they say. Bouncers are (9/10 times), violent bastards who do the job to make themselves feel powerful and to kick in the customers with the smallest excuse.

Proof was on his own, and there is no CCTV. Seems a little suspicious and a bit early to judge the "story".
Exactly :thumb: I'd rep if I could.

i got respect for the guy who turned himself in either way i don't think thier was any call for anybody to be pullin guns on sum arguement shit, its outta control.

Diaz said:
Lie detector tests aren't 100% accurate and sometimes unreliable. Many forms of interrogation are used when in a criminal investigation however in a court of law; physical irrefutable evidence is what makes the case solid.

Pittsey said:

I'm with you man, it's premature for anybody to start making conclusions. But all we have to do is wait to see what evidence is provided. Even if most bouncers are violent and just like to cause this trouble, this one maybe wasn't but still maybe was. We have to wait and see what unvails.

Nick

"Sources told AllHipHop.com that the altercation was rooted in a pool game.

For unknown reasons, the men two began arguing and a fight broke out.

A shot was fired in the air, Proof allegedly pistol-whipped Bender, knocked him to the ground and then shot him."

http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=5563

Depending on who fired the first shot into the air, Proof might have been defendig himself. I wonder if the full story will eventually come out of if we'll be left to speculate forever.

bigCASH said:

sad but true, if he did INITIATE conflict then be prepared to get back either then OR LATER ON........R.I.P

Jokerman

Here's what happened. Bender and Proof got in an argument. Bender pulled a gun and Proof knocked it away and it got fired at the ceiling. Proof pulled his own gun out and pistol whipped Bender knocking him to the ground. Still holding the gun, Bender started to cover Proof with it, so Proof had to shoot him. Bender's pussy cousin then shot Proof from behind.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online