Proof shooter cleared of murder charges; still faces weapons charges

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
A county prosecutor in Detroit says the man who shot and killed rapper Proof in a nightclub shootout acted lawfully in defense of another man, but must still face weapons charges in the incident.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy made her comments Tuesday regarding the April 11 incident, in which Proof, born Deshaun Holton, also shot Etheridge's 35-year-old cousin Keith Bender.

Worthy has said that Etheridge, who was working security at the club, fired a gun while trying to defend Bender during the altercation at CCC, an after-hours club on Detroit's Eight Mile Road.

"The evidence clearly shows that Mario Etheridge acted in lawful self-defense of another when he shot Deshaun Holton," Worthy said at a news conference. "Once the gunshots started, everything happened fairly quickly."

She said Etheridge fired at the ceiling twice to stop Proof before aiming the gun at him.

Etheridge’s lawyer, Randall Upshaw, has said that 32-year-old Proof — who died with a blood alcohol level of 0.32 percent (four times the level considered drunk under Michigan law) — became confrontational during a game of pool. The man he argued with stopped to speak to him on his way out, Upshaw said, and Proof then argued with Bender and later returned with a gun, pistol-whipped Bender and shot him in the face.

Etheridge then took a gun from someone during the attack and fired it in defense of Bender, Upshaw said. But witnesses, according to Worthy, said Etheridge had two guns on him.

He was charged with carrying a concealed weapon and unlawfully discharging a firearm in a building. His final pretrial court date is scheduled for Friday. If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison on the concealed weapon charge and four years on the discharging a firearm count.

Sandeep14 said:
Fuck Mario Etherington (i Shit On You!! Fuk Ur Wife Ur Life Ur Kids Ur Car, Ur House Ur Spouse, Ur Rings Ur Things!!)
Why? Proof got drunk, acted like a fuckin dumbass, killed someone, and got shot... He's not a hero, he's not a fallen soldier, hes just another statistic..

Fataldawg said:
Why? Proof got drunk, acted like a fuckin dumbass, killed someone, and got shot... He's not a hero, he's not a fallen soldier, hes just another statistic..
Athough, you made point you shouldn't call death of anybody a statistic.

THEV1LL4N

Fataldawg said:
listen up, 4 shots, y that many? no matter what happened, y 2 to the head? and 2 to the chest?

does that make etheringtin the better person?

NO!

Shot 21

Nobody knows what really happened. Of course according to Etheridge, Proof is some kind of gangsta who shot at his cousin for no reason and hes the hero trying to save lives. And if Proof was still alive he would say they tried to jump him just because he was a rapper. We aint never gonna hear the truth so its best not to jump to conclusions screaming "Fuck Proof!" or "Fuck Etheridge!"

Fataldawg said:
yea if he didnt get faded and fire at that guys cousin he would still be here right now. PROOF started the gun fight, which i thought didnt happen at first lol.

Sandeep14 said:
listen up, 4 shots, y that many? no matter what happened, y 2 to the head? and 2 to the chest?

does that make etheringtin the better person?

NO!
I'm not here to judge who's the better person and who's not, i don't know enough about either of them to make such a decision. I can only go by what the investigators have reported, and this Etheridge guy attempted to stop another person from getting killed. Sure, it wasn't the most pleasant way to stop him, but probably was the only opportunity he had at the time.

And I'm going to speak hypothetically here for a sec, but what if somebody hadn't stopped Proof? If he had already shot one person, could he have shot more? There could've been more dead people in that club other than the victims stated. I mean, shit, this Etheridge guy was working security at the club.

And when you're put in this situation, shit happens very fast. He was probably thinking more about stopping the gunman rather than where to place the bullets. I've never been involved in a situation like this, nor do i ever hope to be, but i'm sure the adrenaline runs through your veins the same way it does during a fight. It's hard to control your actions when your put in a situation to defend your self or another.

Bank Robber said:
there's no need to make Proof into a hero or a villain here fellas, and calling ANYBODY a statistic is just a slap in the face.
Basically what i meant is that its another senseless death, and it gives the anti-rap critics more fuel for their "oh, all these dangerous rappers are killing each other for no reason" B.S.

THEV1LL4N

yea, i neva sed that. what i meant was etheridge shouldnt have been carrying a gun in the first place, then he coudlnt have shot proof. and maybe proof would have still been alive.

and if proof was found to be guilty, then maybe he would face the consequences, if he was guilty.

some of you need to READ the news post because what most of you are talking about is BULLsh*t..........

first off the bouncer DIDN'T have a gun, he took it from somebody........and used it to defend his COUSIN who was shot IN THE HEAD by proof FIRST..................he shot TWO WARNING SHOTS BEFORE HE SHOT PROOF...............(ALL OF THIS IS ALLEGED BASED ON THAT REPORT)........

THEV1LL4N

pclvson said:
some of you need to READ the news post because what most of you are talking about is BULLsh*t..........

first off the bouncer DIDN'T have a gun, he took it from somebody........and used it to defend his COUSIN who was shot IN THE HEAD by proof FIRST..................he shot TWO WARNING SHOTS BEFORE HE SHOT PROOF...............(ALL OF THIS IS ALLEGED BASED ON THAT REPORT)........

wheres ur source about the 2 warning shots?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.