Private Messages - Suggestions

I've noticed some problems with Private Messages (PMs). Here are a few:

First, when you reply to a PM, you have to type in the member's username. Can this be changed so that the board automatically puts in the username. I think it makes sense, and it should certainly be something vBulletin can do.

Second, when sending a PM, a window pops up saying something along the lines of "Do you want a receipt?" Most people just click "OK" not knowing what it means or they may think the question is "Do you want to send the PM." I've never gotten a PM from someone NOT asking for a receipt. That shows that most people are either not paying attention to the question or they don't understand it.

My suggestion is that the wording be changed to "YES" or "NO" to "Do you want a receipt?" I think YES and NO make more sense than "OK" and CANCEL.

Third, when replying to a PM, you have to click on "Forward." The reason I bring this up is because the button should actually say "Reply" and not "Forward." It took me a while to figure out that TB used "Forward" as its "Reply" button when I first registered here.

"Forward" implies that you want to send the same PM you received to another member, and not a reply to the PM. You see what I am saying?

Please consider these suggestions.

Quote is reply, not forward.

It can automatically add the persons name if you chose to send them one by, for instance, clicking their name in a thread and choosing, send PM.

Amara said:
Quote is reply, not forward.

It can automatically add the persons name if you chose to send them one by, for instance, clicking their name in a thread and choosing, send PM.
I see, but then shouldn't "quote" be changed to "reply"? I see that automatically adds the name, so there's not going to be a need to send people a PM through their profile.

Thanks for letting me know about that, though.

What about the other things?

Dante

Meyer & Dante Best Friends4eva
nice sig, brother. brother, i hope he doesn't flood you, brother, on msn too, brother. brother, it's almost as annoying as that brother who says carnal all the time, brother.

brothers, i use quote too, brothers. don't you recognize me, brothers?

Dante said:
nice sig, brother. brother, i hope he doesn't flood you, brother, on msn too, brother. brother, it's almost as annoying as that brother who says carnal all the time, brother.

brothers, i use quote too, brothers. don't you recognize me, brothers?
What?

H.E. Pennypacker said:
I see, but then shouldn't "quote" be changed to "reply"? I see that automatically adds the name, so there's not going to be a need to send people a PM through their profile.

Thanks for letting me know about that, though.

What about the other things?
Perhaps it should say "reply," but "quote" is the method we use throughout the board to reply to people....I guess it is just continuity.

Nah, no need to go through the profile although works the same. Just click the name.

As for the confirmation receipts, doesnt really matter either way does it. I mean, when I send PMs I choose "ok" because I do like to know if they have been read. It doesn't take long for people to figure out, that if they don't want to use that, they can simply click "cancel." It's just a language thing, people pick up on it once they are used to it.

H.E. Pennypacker said:
Third, when replying to a PM, you have to click on "Forward." The reason I bring this up is because the button should actually say "Reply" and not "Forward." It took me a while to figure out that TB used "Forward" as its "Reply" button when I first registered here.

"Forward" implies that you want to send the same PM you received to another member, and not a reply to the PM. You see what I am saying?

Please consider these suggestions.
That one drives me crazy! Agree with the others aswell

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.