Post your three classic albums of every year from 95 - 05

roaches

You mentioned three areas where you thought one of the albums I mentioned as the best of 2004 was lacking, and I showed you how it compared in those areas with one of the albums you thought was one of the best of 2004.

And I thought we were talking about good albums, not good rappers.

so a crap rapper made a good album? You've yet to tell me what it actually good about the album, you have merely compared it with another which if you'll excuse me being a bit hard, is an easy way out.

roaches

Yes, a bad rapper made a good album. If Kanye West, Group Home, Jeru, and a million other motherfuckers can make good albums, a rapper who used to be good can also make a good album.

I don't know how exactly to break down why I like Purple Haze. It's raw, ignorant, crude. Though it definitely has some baroque production, it's not polished at all. Most of the beats have good bottom to it. I enjoy Cam'ron's lazy delivery and relaxed flow. "Dipset Forever" is a great beat. I find the end of the first verse of "Harlem Streets" and its chorus to be profound in an understated, plebian sort of way. There's nothing on the album to suggest Cam'ron particularly cares to appealing to anyone outside of his core audience. It's a fun record on some dude shit. Clever lines and boasts that you can repeat or laugh about in the barbershop or while passing the blunt in the cipher. It was a good contrast to other hip-hop albums that while good, are overproduced, pretentious, and corny (College Dropout, The Black Album, etc.).

It's all subjective, though. One of the annoying things about hip-hop is that its rejection of traditional music rules has left fans without the vocabulary or mechanisms to evaluate something on a scale that everyone perceives in the same way.

If we're done with Cam'ron, Psyence Fiction? Really? I'd only consider the two "Drums of Death" joints hip-hop (thread idea: "Just because Andre 3000 or DJ Shadow or Prince Paul or Automator or Lauryn Hill or Cee-lo or Whoever Put out the Album Doesn't Mean it Is Hip-Hop" b/w "What the Fuck Is Post Hip-Hop") and I don't even like the Mike D one. The Kool G Rap one and "Rabbit in Your Headlights" are the only songs I can mess with on that.

Purple Haze is wack. Period.
Everything that goes into making a quality album is missing here; cohesiveness, beats and particularly lyrical content are all absent throughout the majority of the work. Why exactly do you stand by it? Because no one else from NYC raps or sounds like Camron? surely we should be thankful for that.
Why can't an album be good to you just because you enjoy it? Why do hip hop fans feel the need to break down every facet of the music and compile them in to out-of-ten scores in order to determine if an album/rapper is good or not? Why can't you just like an album or enjoy a rapper? When you hear a new song, do you honestly sit there afterwards and go "hmm, beat was aight, give it 5/10...sample choice - good - 7/10, content was ehh - 4/10, but the flow was sick so i'll give it 9/10....", and then average out the scores to see if it's good or not?

7 Syns

Wait a minute, there's been classics since 1997?? Because beside a handfull eg. Supreme Clintelle, Black on bothsides etc I swear i haven't anything that's worth even a scent of the word classic.

peace.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.