Obie Trice's "Cheers"

sam15 said:
Okay, is it just me, or is this album great, I love it. Almost every track is good, the only downside to the album is "Got Some Teeth", and maybe, "Spread Yo Shit". What do you guys think of this album?
Definately a great album. WAY underrated. Excellent beats, excellent flows, excellent collabos (except for the Kon Artis collabo), Obie comes with a lot of good verses (I don't expect to hear Eminem type lyrics from Obie).

Best songs on the album in no particular order:

Shit Hits The Fan
We All Die One Day
Average Man
Hey Lady
Dont Come Down

On a scale of 1-5, using the same scale as The Source, I'd give "Cheers" 3.5 mics

dedbrd said:
i really liked that cd when it came out, i didn't like the fact that obie only got to do like 2 hooks on his own cd though
Perhaps Eminem didn't think he could handle doing most of the hooks himself. Which, to be honest, I don't know why.

DPG Iz All I C:
Too much Eminem influence on it.
Well, did you not expect a lot of Eminem influence on it? Eminem is the one who found Obie, Eminem produced the album, it was recorded and produced at the same place where all the other Shady records are done, 54 Sound, Eminem's studio. I mean, look at Snoop's "Doggystyle" and look at how much influence Dre had on it.

lol@ comparing doggystyle to cheers...that's jokes

about cheers
They could have made him drop a dope album without givin it too much exposure but it looks like they wanted that but at the last moment some 1 changed his mind and chose to use the full budget...

]^It flopped??? What were the sales???
It didn't go 4 times platinum, but I don't think it flopped. I'm pretty sure it hit at least 1.5 platinum, which is not a flop to me. Now, if Eminem only went 1.5 platinum, yeah, that's a flop for him.

But, is that what Hurts said? That it flopped? Hurts talks out of his ass a lot, that's why I have him on ignore.

Anyways it was a solid album I'd give it like 8/10. Some of Eminem's best production work like Average Man, Lady, We all Die one day and Never Forget Ya.
:thumb: I agree completely. Whenever anyone says Eminem is a bad producer, I always bring up Cheers as my first piece of support that he is not.

btw anyone else think Dre totally killed Obie on Shit Hits the Fan???
YES!!! It's funny you said that because I've often wondered the same thing, if i was the only one who thought Dre killed Obie. Dre had probably one of his best flows EVER on that song. Funny thing is, not only did Obie ALSO have one of his best flows on that song, but he also had one of his better lyrical outtings in regards to his verse.

"this is not a hypocritical issue/ I will critical condition your tissue/ give a fuck if all 10 of them with you/ I throw an extra 10 of them missles/ turn gangsta's into gentlemen"

A lot of peeps don't think Em is a good producer because a lot of his songs sound too similar, which is true, but I would definitely not say he's a bad producer, he just has to vary his style a little bit more

jason_g_718 said:
Um...I hate to burst your bubble, but the only songs Em is on are Hey Lady, Shit Hits The Fan, We All Die One Day and Hands On You. And on two of those songs, all he does is the hook, so in all, Eminem only spits 3 verses on the whole album.
It is not about what he spits...
It is about if his name is ne where in the booklet or the back cover..or if he does a hook...ya know as long as it's eminem kids will buy it...and that was my point... :rolleyes:

You can edit ya post back...

Sprad Yo Shit is a dope track. Lyrically Obie ripped it up, chorus was kind of wack and the Mission Impossible theme sample I didn't really like but the lyrics overpowered all that and makes the track one of the best on the album.IMO.

I am unsure, but, wasn't "Shit Hits The Fan" a Ja Rule diss? Dre says that if Pac was still alive, he'd be kicking Ja's ass. So, I take it's diss, and i'm also judging my the chorus, heh.

7 Syns

off topic, I always smirked when I listened to that Dr. Dre verse off 'Shit hits the Fan'. Because out of their entire camp who wouldve thought that when they were in a war on wax against murder inc., that dre pre-written or not and busta would perhaps have the best verses in the whole thing?

back on topic however, i thoroughly felt this record was nice. a solid offering from obie, he had abit of mixture with never forget ya and the set up in there. but I have doubts that had he not been with shady records, that his record wouldve sounded generally different in content and overall feel. so i definately see the eminem influence but eh. 3.5/5.

solid debut. :thumb:

peace.

S. Fourteen

It's nice. I wouldn't go far as to call it great. It's got some bangers on there for sure. Obie isn't a great MC but I feel him. And I agree with some of you that the Eminem influence is it's downside, the weakest tracks on Cheers are Em tracks... not to disregard the good Em brought to the album though.

i was about to make a thread like this cuz this album used to be so talked about on here then it just liked died. But I like the album it was cool, his second album could be a lot better tho

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.