Nas - Hero

Preach

I accept that criticism of Nas' music. Only thing I'd like to point out is that no rapper stays on topic in his verse. It's just not something that one expects from rap music and we as fans have let rappers get away with that.
well yeah, I just always thought Nas takes it one step further. i'll say that i love tupac's music, and he had a lot of the same tendencies. a tupac song called "candy" could have the same lyrics as a tupac song called "i kill you, sucker". he scribbled down words and took the most recurrent theme in his lyrics and used as a name and chorus for the song. likewise, i feel like a lot of nas' songs could have been called something completely different. the experience is not what the track title would have me think, and not in the good, innovative way. i can't say the same for most rappers though, even though not every line and word has to do with the theme of the song.

i have all of nas' albums and most of his cd and vinyl singles on my computer. i hoard like that with every artist. so obviously i think nas is good enough for a listen, and the odd nas song is in my personal classics list, but considering the amount of material and years in the game i feel like he's overrated.

and furtherer, i felt that this song epitomized why i some times dislike nas as a lyricist, and like i said the beat sounds too kanye-ish for me. again, i thought bittersweet poetry was a corny but nice track, i think can't tell me nothing is an alright track. but kanye's branch in hiphop is not a "subgenre" i'm crazy about.

Casey

Staff member
I just can't listen to Nas anymore. Every word he speaks comes off as pretentious horseshit to me. I just fucking know he uttered the words "this is on some John Lennon shit!" during the recording of the album. And I'm guessing he only started listening to John Lennon (if he even does now) after he was doing research for the album and discovered his song "Woman is the Nigger of the World".
*cradles Illmatic*
I can feel that. I personally don't feel the same way, but I know a few people that have expressed the same. They feel Nas these days is very pretentious and basically an attention-seeker with the whole 'Nigger' thing. He's coming across as pretty self righteous at times and it is putting some people off, for sure.

And I agree with you on the John Lennon thing. I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly how it went down.

kastro

well atleast he isnt rapping about bitches and money bling bling doing club typ music like every other single rappers these dayz, Im lovin this song more then before it gorwn on me more cant wait for your album

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.