My thoughts on Hip-Hop in 2006

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
I havent really started a thoughtful topic, or one based on opinion, in here in a long time so thought Id list off some things that I was thinking about yesterday and today about 2006.

- The South kept Hip-Hop alive... Once again.

- T.I. was the artist of 2006, and is one of the best rappers in the game right now, if not the best.

- KING was the best album

- "What You Know" (T.I.) and "Ridin Dirty" (Chamillionaire) were two of the best rap songs of 2006, both southern. "My Love" feat T.I. was the best song of 2006, no matter how much you may want to hate or deny it, from a production, execution and entertainment point of view it was.

- No matter how exciting it was when it happened, the best thing to come out of Jay Z's take over of Def Jam was his Hewlett Packard TV ad, which was dope, the label was not.

- Nas' album did not save Hip-Hop. That beat should not have been used twice. Nas is not at the top of his game, or any game for that matter.

- Neither is Jay Z.

- When will Snoop learn not to get arrested? Or kicked out of airports?

- "Pac's Life" was even worse than "Loyal To The Game." EVERYBODY should be ashamed.

- Ludacris did the wrong thing when he shaved his hair, Busta did the right thing.... But it still didnt help his record sales... Who even remembers he dropped in 2006?

- In comparison to 1996, 2006 sucked musically.

- Ten years on and we are still losing rappers. I miss Proof.

PuffnScruff

mainstream sucked for sure but there were a lot of good under the radar albums to come out this year.

i dont know why people act like the nas album was going to or supposed to save hip hop. that was never the intention. what does it really matter that the same sample was used? it was done by a different producer and it was done in a different way. that song was one of the best mainstream singles to come out this year

if you are saying King was the best album of 2006 are you saying that based on sales?

Game Theory was the best album of 06 by far

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
KING was my favorite album of 2006, based on the fact that I can pop it in whether at home, party or car, and bump it start to finish without getting annoyed or bored with anything on the CD.

I also think it was the most well rounded album, lyrically, flow wise, production wise, and entertainment wise.

Game's album comes a close second.

I think Lil' Wayne deserved some credit, even if his more recent solo came out in Dec. 2005. I can listen to that album, from start to finish.

Rukas said:
- Nas' album did not save Hip-Hop. That beat should not have been used twice. Nas is not at the top of his game, or any game for that matter.

- Neither is Jay Z.

- "Pac's Life" was even worse than "Loyal To The Game." EVERYBODY should be ashamed.

- Ludacris did the wrong thing when he shaved his hair, Busta did the right thing.... But it still didnt help his record sales... Who even remembers he dropped in 2006?

I'm with you on these points.

I agree with you that 1996 sucked musically compared to 2006, but only in terms of mainstream hip-hop.

I haven't even heard 'My Love' or 'What You Know' by TI which probably explains why I didn't include your other points - that and I really don't know enough about Jay Z's 'takeover' to make a fair comment.

Still can't decide my favourite album, song or artist of 06 after the whole Kool Keith incident.

i didnt really pay any attention in 2006 artists or albums
only albums i got was pacs life and it was better than loyal 2 the game in my opinion but it was shit album.i got that jedi mind tricks album and that was great.tryin 2 pay more attention in this year.peace

Euphanasia

Rukas said:

I disagree. T.I. is decent and I like Young Buck, but most southern rap is garbage.

- T.I. was the artist of 2006, and is one of the best rappers in the game right now, if not the best.

Nas, Lupe Fiasco, Game and Obie held down 2006

not even close

Nas is not at the top of his game, or any game for that matter.

Hip Hop Is Dead was an above average album and one of the year's best.

- Neither is Jay Z.

I agree with you here. Kingdom Come was pretty bad.

Absolutely not. Loyal to the Game was complete trash. 'Pac's Life had much better tracks, better production and better guest artists.

RIP Proof

Sorry if some of this sounded harsh, man, I just disagree with a lot of what you said.

one

I agree with what you said Pacs Life was ok but it's a POS compared to loyal to the game. People may not agree with who Em put on the tracks but his production was way better than all the shit on Pac's Life. There were people on Pac's like that shouldnt of been on there either.

TI was definately on top this year. It's one of the few really good albums i bought. I agree with the post above that NAS GAME LUPE and OBIE held it down. There was way to much shit put out this year that could've waited and had more effort put in so albums didnt suck ass so bad.

AND most importantly RIP Big Proof. That shit hurt.....

TI the best album of the year? Best rapper in the game? I just think there was so much out there much more worthy of the best album of the year.

Off top:
Ghostface-fishscale
Roots-Game Theory
Bronze Nazareth- Great Migration

Game's album has little to zero replay value.
TI maks me sick in general and i wish to not speak on the man anymore. IMO scarface presents the product was the best southern cd to come out.

Thank god this year will be a better year for southern rap because we got UGK, Devin Tha Dude,and little brother all dropping real soon.

linx

Staff member
Rukas said:
:laugh:

Rukas said:

Rukas said:

Rukas said:
- "What You Know" (T.I.) and "Ridin Dirty" (Chamillionaire) were two of the best rap songs of 2006, both southern. "My Love" feat T.I. was the best song of 2006, no matter how much you may want to hate or deny it, from a production, execution and entertainment point of view it was.

Rukas said:
No, it didn't save Hip Hop. It didn't need to, neither did anything else. But it's a great album and one of the best, if not the best of the year. I don't think it's a secret that Nas isn't on the top of his game, but he's still better than most rappers when he isn't.

Rukas said:
- Neither is Jay Z.
Jay'z album in my opinion is HORRIBLE. It's his worst album ever to me. Maybe that's just me though.

Rukas said:
Or make another good album?

Rukas said:
I don't know why people expected it to be any good. I'm not interested in hearing Pac songs with a bunch of people that wouldn't be on his songs if he were still around. But if they were hot songs, fine. But .. they weren't.

Rukas said:
- In comparison to 1996, 2006 sucked musically.
I agree, but I don't see why you said that.. lol. Just cause it's 10 years later? Or something else?

Rukas said:
Amen.

Big Flipp

Okay here are my thoughts. Maybe the South should let hiphop die so it can be reborn back to it's old self. As long as rappers are getting paid millions of dollars to hock everything from shoes to computers .rap is never going to escape the bling bling stage it's in and real mc's who actually have shit to say will keep going unnoticed. But here is some albums off the top of my head that to me were the best hiphop had to offer in the 06.

Ghostface
The Roots
Murrays revenge
Sol-iLLaquists of Sound - As if we existed
The Coup - Pick a bigger weapson
Lupe Fiasco
Rhymefest
Soul Position - Things go Better with RJ and Al
P.O.S. - Audition

hizzle?

Staff member
PuffnScruff said:
Game Theory was the best album of 06 by far
fucking quoting this.

The only album that came out and that I actually bought.

First rap album in two years that I bought... after that I went on to buy everything else that was realsed on Rawkus in the last 10 years that I didnt have.

TI's What you know about that is the best song of 2006 indeed, but Ridin Dirty is fucking now, i wanna kill that ninja turtle.

Nas' album was good.

Everything rest, on any point of view, entertainement, musicaly, artisticaly fucking SUCKED this year, just like in 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002.

hizzle?

Staff member
^lloll its true!!! i like the old stuff by 50... after wanksta, which was a good song and a good diss, he went fucking gay!!!

I dunno why the other guy said "Compared to 50, hes good" well i cant understand why 50 fucking Cent is what we mesure other rappers with...

Mesure TI's skills to someone like Talib, Mos Def, Black Thought... not fucking 50 cent!!!!

Also... am I the only one who thinks that the south is actually killing hip hop?

linx

Staff member
hizzle? said:
Mesure TI's skills to someone like Talib, Mos Def, Black Thought... not fucking 50 cent!!!!
Eh, lol. You're better off measuring him up against other southern rappers.. unless you are just judging who's better in general or overall. Then yeah, TI aint seeing any of those dudes.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.