My review of Kurupt Against Tha Grain

ZEUS

1- Intro - dope intro features samples of John Gotti, Scarfcae and NWA- good start

2- Speak On It- tight ass beat by mark sparks, love the chick singin in the background, gotti taking shots at 50,Nas,Ja and DMX, dope verse speaking on white/black/brown relations and calling out Al Sharpton and C tucker for being hypocrites.Had it had one more verse and less talking wouldve scored it higher. - 4/5

3. Anarchy 87- another tight beat by sparks using old school synths and a bass guitar.Hype ass chorus rhymes are decent couldve been better tho - 4/5

4. Throwback muzic 86 - this will go down as a death row classic to me, bangin instrumental by sparks again, classic westcoast summer jam, hook and rhymes fit perfectly, kurupt flashing back on the 80s. - 5/5

5. Deep Dishes - crazy ass beat by some guy named rick rude sounds kinad like beans "roc the mic" its cool tho, kurupt dissing the whole East Coast and Xzibit and MTV.Kurupt sounds like hes got some chewing tobacco in his mouth on this one tho, cool track anyway, i love how the beat builds up, the hook is weak as hell tho- 3.5/5

6. Stalkin - I actually like this track, sir jinx laid a dope beat-cool clubbing track bitches can dance to.Decent lyrics for the subject ugly bitches stalking kurupt.Who hasnt had a fatty that wont leave u alone.I love the U2 sample on the hook.Its alright nothing classic but listenable. 3.5/5

7. Can U Feel It - First Skippable track, beat is your basic summer jam ripoff.Average chorus, average lyrics-weak link on the album. 2.5/5

8. Slide N SLide Out-Man this track bangs, great production by Blaqthoven-beat has that classic mid 90s DPG sound so u gotta love it.Only thing is Kurupt is not on it but the lyrics are still fire by YA and Eastwood ,Great chorus get ur C walk on bueyes.Note: Daz gets dissed - 5/5

9. Im Back- well this shit is old, good track but its 3 years old, one of darren vegas b etter beats because it actually has Bass, lyrics are average, point taken off for being old, tho it does fit the LP because gotti keeps saying against tha grain. 3/5

10. Jealousy- sick sick track.Another great beat by the underrated Mark Sparks.MOP, Kurupt and Roscoe all shine, hook is decent- gotti drops a sick verse.This sounds great in CDQ - 5/5

11. Tha Past - Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.This track was even doper than i thought it would be, great sad deep song to smoke too.Kurupt sad about losing daz and snoop spekaing his side of the story, best track on the album.Perfect beat for the mood by doug mayhem whoever that is.Great hook by dave hollister, this will go down as a death row classic-note dave hollister sang the hook on Keep ya head up- 5/5

12. My Homeboys- shit this sounds hot in CDQ, another dope beat by SParks, dope chick in the background great verses by everybody and a great chorus by Eastwood.I gotta take away a half point for recycled pac verse.I love kurupt trashing loyal to the game at the end- 4.5/5

13. Bullshit & Nonsense - Damn where did this shit come from, holy shit this beat is the shiznit!!!!!!!Death Row should use josh andrewes more often.Chorus is dope as fuck too.Eastwood with a hot verse spider is decent i guess.This track took me by surprise for 2 reasons- 1- kurupt isnt on it and 2 shit its so dope.- 5/5

14. Calico - Well the beat is crazy, hyper and dramatic as fuck good shit to kill somebody too i guess.Not a big dayton family fan but kurupt drops 2 good verses plus a shout out to snoop.chorus is solid. 4/5

15. Hustlin - damn!another dope track i jusy heard today that took me by surprise, dope ass beat by Sir Jinx the legend, bangin beat.Dope reggae hook with sirens i like it.Cool gotti verse, YA was average on the track.Best parts are the beat and hook, wasnt expecting no reggae shit. 4/5

16. Its A Wrap - another bangin track i just heard that surprised me, another great instrumental by Mark Sparks sounds like some mafia movie type soundtrack.Kurupt rapping as a mafioso dope rhymes, cool chick in the background again.Damn 4.5/5

17. You Fuckin With The Best - Decent track provided by C style of all people, since when does he do beats.Aight verses by kurupt and domination nothing special, ok chorus about running LA and NY.Ok track- 3/5

18. Outro - pointless outro by Flavor Flav but whatever

Damn this album was a lot better than i thought it would be especially on the production side, getting rid of darren vegas was a good move.Kurupt was solid on the mic here but still a shell of his 95 self, he will never be that again so u gotta let that go.Very good album, had they left the diss tracks and the danny boy track and got rid of the 3 weaker tracks it couldve been a classic.As it is its a very good album on the better this year IMO, overall I give this album 4.25/5.........2nd best gotti lp to Streetz, and the best Death Row album since Daz RR and GB in 98 and a little better than 2pac UTEOT.

$7.99 at K-Mart, $9.99 at Circuit City (where I bought it... only because the K-Mart near my place is now a Sears and I didn't know that until I walked in)

ZEUS

makrel_mad said:
Thanks for the review.
no prob homie, i noticed no one put one up for me these last 2 weeks so i did one for everybody on the fence.Damn 7.99 at kmart fuck i paid 9.99 at circuit city.

PuffnScruff

8 bucks at k-mart? i'll believe when i see it tomorrow :D or in a few minutes. whenever i decide to go pick it up. thanks for the review. i'm a big kurupt fan but i wasn't sure about picking his new one up. i think i'll get it now.

very nice review im wating for the album to drop in my mail one of this days, still havent heard all of the tracks but if they are as good as people say then its worth my money

Nice Review, Its a shame Death Row didnt plug this album, This album is fire

Nice to hear a death row album mastered and pressed onto cd

Maybe they wanna hide the fact they released an album

ZEUS said:
no prob homie, i noticed no one put one up for me these last 2 weeks so i did one for everybody on the fence.Damn 7.99 at kmart fuck i paid 9.99 at circuit city.
fuck i paid 13.99 at best buy....i could have used those $4 for gas or something.... still waz worth it....

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Looks like the damn thing isnt coming out in Australia so i gotta order it online which means waiting 2 weeks which means having to download it in the mean time and I cant find the damn thing online anywhere :(

Rukas said:
Looks like the damn thing isnt coming out in Australia so i gotta order it online which means waiting 2 weeks which means having to download it in the mean time and I cant find the damn thing online anywhere :(
check ur pm :thumb:

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.