My Random thoughts about Hip Hop

-In the aftermath (no pun intended) of Proof's passing I wonder if we will get to hear the joints he supposedly did with J Dilla

-Mobb Deep were never street even before the deal

- Most of the Lloyd Banks leaked album is as wack as I expected but conversely I’m surprised at the quality of a few standout tracks, notably It Aint A Secret just for the Fat Joe diss alone

-I’m still wretching at the news Flipmode signed Papoose.. *Weeps into keyboard hysterically*

-I wish antipop consortium would reform, Beans, Priest and Sayyid are better as a collective and I still can’t get over Tragic Epilogue six years after it dropped

-I expect big things from the new MC Phonte and Nicolay album

- I sincerely hope that NaS working with Jigga will conclude his obvious song selecting ineptitude but I doubt it, on the flipside I guess Lost Tapes Vol 2 will be dope as fuck

-I’ve finally decided Celestial Clockwork was probably the underground album of 05

-The Evil Pih Poh tour is pure fire

-Speaking of which, will Illogic ever fall off?

-If you’re a fan of good hip hop, live in Indiana and didn’t attend IU's Hip Hop Congress 6th Annual Hip Hop Awareness Festival you need medical assistance

- My appreciation of Whitehorse Cartel continues to grow and that mixtape joint with Young Dro is off the hook

- If any comic company thinks there is a market to serialise Chuck D’s escapades in animated form they deserve to go out of business

- I’m curious to see if Lord Jamar will deliver on the 5% Album

- I’m glad Median has signed to Halftooth. Perhaps he will finally drop a halfdecent album.

- I havent finished laughing my ass off at the thought of a Kool Kieth and Sage Francis Collabo

- Anything in 2006 that has the words Nature Sounds on it probably deserves to be downloaded

Diaz

albohemia said:
-If you’re a fan of good hip hop, live in Indiana and didn’t attend IU's Hip Hop Congress 6th Annual Hip Hop Awareness Festival you need medical assistance
What? I live in Indiana and have no idea what this is. :(

Diaz said:
What? I live in Indiana and have no idea what this is. :(
The festival commenced about a week ago yesterday and ended on Saturday, basically it's a community awareness event (hence the name) and showcased a plethora of superlative local hip hop acts. The highlights were the African Hip Hop night on Thursday and the Evil Pih Poh on Friday where Illogic ripped it.

I think Sadat X even dropped by for the last day. Also a massive tribute to Saul Williams took place which in itself is rarity in an era where people's awareness of black culture is all too often dictated to by whatevers in rotation on MTV / BET.

roaches

-In the aftermath (no pun intended) of Proof's passing I wonder if we will get to hear the joints he supposedly did with J Dilla
Your italics intrigue me.

Most of those joints are already floating around, though.

i never heard about the Kool Kieth/ sage francis collab.....cool, i like sage...he's got a fresh style.....dont know whats so funny about it?

peace.

kman_69 said:
i never heard about the Kool Kieth/ sage francis collab.....cool, i like sage...he's got a fresh style.....dont know whats so funny about it?

peace.
There was some rumor circulating a while back that Kieth only wanted to work with white acts which he vehemently denied. Once all the hype had died down, after being quiet as a church mouse he announced the next dude he's working with is Francis...the timing of the news has a kinda comedic effect.

7 Syns

- I'm sure Eminem, if not him, Proof's management will arrange some sort of deal to have the J Dilla produced songs released. Most likely on a post-humous album we can expect within the next 18 months.

- Which deal was that? G-Unit? Jive? Loud? Or Fourth & Bway?. Quite frankly Im sure alot of people don't care whether they are street or not. But your thought is nothing more then opinion, no facts beyond hearsay. Regardless of anything, "Shook Ones Part. II" and "Survival Of The Fittest" are still some of the dopest songs made during the '90's imo.

- I thought the Lloyd Banks album was very decent, above average because I expected worse. I expected "The Massacre" part duex. Street tales, love ballads and pimp talk. Well, I guess for the most part thats what the album is but it's the way he did it. Nothing sounds corny, it's got beats which most wouldn't associate with a G-Unit record and he held his own for the most part. Different rappers have different sounds.

If you look hard enough you can find good and wack parts in just about every album thats not glorified like Illmatic etc.

- So Papoose made a move he believed would do good for his career? So what? It's not the first time nor will it be the last time that a rapper has jumped to a label he thought would lift his career to stardom. It happens almost every month. As soon as people started checking him out I immediately thought he would turn into a Joe Budden's type rapper. Lots of hype, will change his style slightly to sell which won't go anywhere and eventually just go back to the mixtape scene killing tape after tape.

- The same Lost Tapes 2 that was suppose to drop 3 years ago? By the way whats the underlines of his contractual agreement? I know Columbia will get to release a Best Of.. from Nas, does that include an album with songs he never released a'la a Lost Tapes? I just figured it did because it's been a fair while since the original date slated for Lost Tapes 2 to drop was made. Febuary 2003.

- One.Be.Lo's S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M., Boom Bap Project's Reprogram and Blueprint's 1988, Blackalicious' The Craft > Celestial Clockwork in my view. But I give it props because it is a hell of a record.

- Illogic is dope, but eh. There's many I think are better well rounded emcee's. In his own right he has been consistant.

- Just downloaded? Masta Killa's Made In Brooklyn is slated to drop this year, if anything it'll deserve to be bought. I heard a few snippets awhile back and it's shaping up very well.

Just some random thoughts about topics you touched on.

peace.

7 Syns said:
- Which deal was that? G-Unit? Jive? Loud? Or Fourth & Bway?. Quite frankly Im sure alot of people don't care whether they are street or not. But your thought is nothing more then opinion, no facts beyond hearsay.
They somehow managed to find the time to work with 112 in between getting robbed and extorted in their own hood. Not exactly Gaetano Gagliano shit.

7 Syns said:
- I thought the Lloyd Bank's album was very decent, above average because I expected worse. I expected "The Massacre" part duex. Street tales, love ballads and pimp talk. Well, I guess for the most part thats what the album is but it's the way he did it. Nothing sounds corny, it's got beats which most wouldn't associate with a G-Unit record and he held his own for the most part. Different rappers have different sounds.
My main problem with Banks is his universally panned monotone flow. On occassions he exudes a deadpan cool but more often than not just sounds dull and trite. I like his metaphors because they make me chuckle and some of his punchlines are sick but he's no Chino XL...as for the album itself, the shit has the potential to phase Benzodiazepines out of the market if it ever gets played to insomniacs.

7 Syns said:
- So Papoose made a move he believed would do good for his career? So what? It's not the first time nor will it be the last time that a rapper has jumped to a label he thought would lift his career to stardom. It happens almost every month.
Flipmode records have been in existence since 2001 and apart from Busta Rhymes solo albums have only released a few wack mixtape style LP's which have done nothing to further the careers of Spliff Star and Rah Digga respectively. Moreover, they have a saturated roster consisting of five rappers who were all signed before Papoose and whose albums havent yet seen the light of day. Things don't look good.

7 Syns said:
- The same Lost Tapes 2 that was suppose to drop 3 years ago? By the way whats the underlines of his contractual agreement? I know Columbia will get to release a Best Of.. from Nas, does that include an album with songs he never released a'la a Lost Tapes? I just figured it did because it's been a fair while since the original date slated for Lost Tapes 2 to drop was made. Febuary 2003.
I'm not completely familiar with the contractual terms encompassed within Nas’ Columbia deal but from what I gather Lost Tapes 2 has been temporarily shelved to allow Nas to fulfil his obligations to Def Jam.

7 Syns said:
- One.Be.Lo's S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M., Boom Bap Project's Reprogram and Blueprint's 1988, Blackalicious' The Craft > Celestial Clockwork in my view. But I give it props because it is a hell of a record.
- Sonogram suffers from being too long and it's laced with misplaced attempts at catching the backpacking ear not to mention some horrible examples of intergalactic hip-hop. Still can't front on enecS eht no kcaB and Sleepwalking though.

-Reprogram is an altogether polished effort from Boom Bap though I listen to it more for the tight, accessible grooves of DJ Scene than Karim / Destro's Kweliesque rhyme styles.

-1988 is pure fire and one of those rare LP's that never seems to lose it's playback value. Incidentally I love the Print remixed 1000 Whispers for the Celestial Clockwork reissue....the only element that seperates the two in terms of quality is impeccably sequenced production.

- My main problem with The Craft is the implementation of live instrumentation throughout the album; One gets the impression the live drums, guitars, and strings were meant to introduce an aura of conventionalism to various joints but just ends up making them sound wack. Additionally a lot of choruses are too akward....while we're on the subject of Blackalicious: Nia, Blazing Arrow & the 2 EP's > The Craft.

7 Syns said:
- Just downloaded? Masta Killa's Made In Brooklyn is slated to drop this year, if anything it'll deserve to be bought. I heard a few snippets awhile back and it's shaping up very well.
If Killa's album turns out to be better than No Said Date I might consider copping it. I'm also anticipating the Strong Arm Steady LP.

7 Syns

albohemia said:
They somehow managed to find the time to work with 112 in between getting robbed and extorted in their own hood. Not exactly Gaetano Gagliano shit.
I guess you do have a point, but I don't know. We all speculate, there's people who listen to hip-hop only to dissect whom is street and for real and whom is not. I mean even if they aren't, which like I said I really don't care for, they are slow learners then. But eventually everyone gets caught out if they're fronting a false image. The 112 point of view I think was strictly "sell as many records as you can", remember the time Infamy came out Loud Records was going down the toilet and needed some sort of miracle to save them. The result? Something like 5 or 6 terrible records in a row.

albohemia said:
My main problem with Banks is his universally panned monotone flow. On occassions he exudes a deadpan cool but more often than not just sounds dull and trite. I like his metaphors because they make me chuckle and some of his punchlines are sick but he's no Chino XL...as for the album itself, the shit has the potential to phase Benzodiazepines out of the market if it ever gets played to insomniacs.
I can respect that, I like his metaphors but I also wouldn't put him near Chino's league and thats a good thing. Chino gets so repeatative after a while. He constantly abuses the word "like". Banks to me sounds good, his style is monotone. I doubt we'll ever see him get full of energy like pre-50 getting signed days.

albohemia said:
Flipmode records have been in existence since 2001 and apart from Busta Rhymes solo albums have only released a few wack mixtape style LP's which have done nothing to further the careers of Spliff Star and Rah Digga respectively. Moreover, they have a saturated roster consisting of five rappers who were all signed before Papoose and whose albums havent yet seen the light of day. Things don't look good.
True, you make a good point. But Rah and Spliff never had the same amount of buzz which Pap has. I think for that reason alone I believe Pap will drop. Also he is only 50% signed to Flip, the other 50% is with Kay Slay I believe. He'll come out soon, most likely have Busta on a hook or a verse gain some buzz. But like I said, it's all so familiar how his career is unfolding. Check Joe Buddens.

albohemia said:
If Killa's album turns out to be better than No Said Date I might consider copping it. I'm also anticipating the Strong Arm Steady LP.
It sounded really nice from the snippets I heard, thats just my opinion though and so far we haven't exactly seen eye to eye on opinions. All good though, atleast you're a hip-hop head and I can't hate on that.

Keep posting man:thumb:

peace.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Gotta agree Albohemia. Even though you have a way of getting members backs up and we haven't seen eye to eye in a couple of threads... ;).... You are a good poster and make some good points. Keep posting.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
absolut_dreII said:
My opinion on hip-hop now...

Fuck hip-hop, hip-hop sucks!

Nah. I think we have some excellent albums coming out still.

And even the mainstream albums, they may not all be polished lyrically, but the production is the best it has ever been.

tHuG $TyLe

Staff member
absolut_dreII said:
My opinion on hip-hop now...

Fuck hip-hop, hip-hop sucks!
you got niggaz on top swinging from tupacs nuts

Thought id finish a royce da 5'9" qoute lol.

Though i don't feel that way.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.