My Random thoughts about Hip Hop PT. 2

- Your either gullible or working for Major Figgas if you seriously believe Gillie Da Kid ever pushed a parker for Lil Wayne

- I’m glad to hear that Oddisee is contributing to the new SoulStice album. He’s one of my favourite cats behind the boards and i'm a sucka when it comes to neo soul with flavour

- It’s kinda sad when a large proportion of peeps get overly distressed because they’ll have to wait another few months for the new Lloyd Banks shit but when Ken Starr’s album get’s pushed back no one gives a fuck. Disproportionate popularity-to-talent ratios never cease to amaze me

- I wish Binary Star would reform for longer than one night

- If a movie about Suge Knight ever gets made, Rick Ross is the man most likely to get the lead role

- After my initial apprehension, the joints I’ve heard from the upcoming MF Grimm project have grown on me. I still can’t decide whether a sixty song triple CD is an ambitious and refreshing undertaking or just a wack ass idea

- Word is that Kane outshone every other cat at the BK Hip Hop festival. That coupled with his reinvigorated buzz outside of NYC makes me think a few majors might come calling

- So Nas is attempting to broaden his crossover appeal by enlisting producers of the moment...now where have I heard that before?

- I think I regurgitated the entire contents of my past week’s food consumption after foolishly listening to Mark Ronson's sampling of The Foundations on that Ryhmefest joint. Holy shit

- If you reside in Europe I’d recommend checking out the cats from Hiphop is music coming to a club near you soon

- I want to be at the fourth annual Style in Progress jam watching Kool DJ Herc instead of writing this

- I’ve been bumping Mr. Lif’s Mo’ Mega album solidly for the last week and it still feels like I downloaded it a few minutes ago

- Did RJD2 put out Magnificent City Instrumentals because he realised the extent to which Aceyalone sullies his beats?

- I’m slightly miffed at the rumours which suggest John Frusciante has rolled up and laid down a few riffs for the new Raekwon album

- Speaking of Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II, BE WARNED: big budget sequels are almost always a letdown

- Da Beatminerz contribution to the new BCC album is surprisingly awful

- Brooke Hogan in About Us and Shaq in You Can't Stop The Reign = 2 good reasons why Celebrities shouldn't pick up the mic + 1 good reason why Paul Wall should put down the mic.

Casey

Staff member
albohemia said:
- I’m slightly miffed at the rumours which suggest John Frusciante has rolled up and laid down a few riffs for the new Raekwon album

Why? John Frusciante is an incredible guitarist.

Militant said:
Why? John Frusciante is an incredible guitarist.
And when was the last time you saw the Wu Tang acquire the services of an "incredible guitatist" to feature on a joint? better yet where did you hear a non RZA molested riff pop up on the original album? (the very mild electric “soul” guitar on Heaven & Hell aside)

I’m not questioning Frusciante's aptitude as an artist, merely expressing my surprise.

7 Syns

albohemia said:
-
- It’s kinda sad when a large proportion of peeps get overly distressed because they’ll have to wait another few months for the new Lloyd Banks shit but when Ken Starr’s album get’s pushed back no one gives a fuck. Disproportionate popularity-to-talent ratios never cease to amaze me
Because they prefer Banks to Ken Starr? or Because you prefer Ken Starr to Banks?

Everything else is grey, I agree with some. Disagree with others. Overall they are certaintely respectable opinions.

peace.

7 Syns said:
Because they prefer Banks to Ken Starr? or Because you prefer Ken Starr to Banks?
No, because if popularity and quality worked in proportion on a 1:1 ratio the only words you’d hear from Lloyd Banks would be “Do you want fries with that?” and Ken Starr's album would go triple platinum. Maybe that’s a little exaggerated but you get the idea.

The problem in todays rap industry are the DJs. You get a Brooklyn DJ chillin down south for a few months, goes back to brooklyn with a bunch of weak as instrumentals and mixes then with east coast rappers. Thats ruins the spirit of the east coast. Thats number 1, number 2, theyre always bumping whats "hot" just to make that extra money. Now NY rappers are starting to sound like south side rappers cause they wanna be big, fuck, i wanna be big too but you dont see me bump bullshit south side shit, u feel? So instead of that same Brooklyn DJ bumpin some new Nas or Jay-Z, he plays shit like 3-6 mafia rappin with like Big L. You see them on BET sounding like south side DJs, dressing up like south side DJs, fuck, where u from, man? If i was from Brooklyn, dayuumm...forget about it.

Record labels too. They sign ANYBODY nowadays. I can be a fucken south side rapper, shit. Back in tha day you needed flow, dope lyrics and unique shit talk about. Jay-Z barely made Rocafella back when he was hungry. Rappers like Nas right now is paying south side producers for his new album. What in the fuck?! And he claims rap is dead. HYPOCRIT. If i was Nas right now, id get nothing BUT east coast producers for my next album.

and last but not least, the south has the crown right now, which is terrible. I feel the south is awful at producing rap music and locating "talent" (this obviously does not include the likes of Ludacris and like...Outkast i guess)

Thats just the way i see it. And until the DJs start reppin' their side, we're not gonna get a break, cause lets be honest, whats the most recent album you bought that you liked? Me? Ja Rule's "VVV" back in 1999.

my 2 cents :cool:

PELLA said:
cause lets be honest, whats the most recent album you bought that you liked? Me? Ja Rule's "VVV" back in 1999.
Either 1999 was the year you became addicted to crack or it was the year you stopped buying albums.

linx

Staff member
albohemia said:
Either 1999 was the year you became addicted to crack or it was the year you stopped buying albums.
Yeah, really. I hate when peoople say they haven't bought a good album in years. I mean really, have you even looked? Maybe you aren't looking good enough or something. I come across plenty of good albums, but I guess that's just me. Then again, i'm not talking about people like Ja Rule.

On a side note, i'm happy to finally hear the new Kenn Starr shit. I talked to him last year about his album/mixtape dropping and he said it was gonna be dropped (I forget when exactly), so when it wasn't when it was supposed to.. I was kinda pissed. It's all good though, the shit is dope.

AmerikazMost

albohemia said:
- Word is that Kane outshone every other cat at the BK Hip Hop festival. That coupled with his reinvigorated buzz outside of NYC makes me think a few majors might come calling
I've been impressed with him recently. Has anyone heard "Welcome to Durham"? I thought he did a hell of a job.

I'd like to see a new BDK album.

albohemia said:
And when was the last time you saw the Wu Tang acquire the services of an "incredible guitatist" to feature on a joint? better yet where did you hear a non RZA molested riff pop up on the original album? (the very mild electric “soul” guitar on Heaven & Hell aside)

I’m not questioning Frusciante's aptitude as an artist, merely expressing my surprise.
I ' don't remember the last time I saw the Wu Tang acquire the services of an "incredible guitarist" ', and thank god for that, don't you think if they carried on doing the same shit for over a decade it would get a little stale?

Innovation and development isn't a bad thing when it comes to things above the radar; that's exactly what should be done... Meets The Indie Culture for example?

Disclaimer: don't get on a high horse, those are questions, not accusations.

PELLA said:
whats your idea of a goodrecent album?
Off the top I've my head I've enjoyed a lot of joints that have dropped in 2006; Fela Kuti, The Roots, Dro, Mr. Lif, Cunninlynguists, T.I, Ghostface, J Zone / Celph, Kreators, J.R, Sivion, etc..

goymz said:
I ' don't remember the last time I saw the Wu Tang acquire the services of an "incredible guitarist" ', and thank god for that, don't you think if they carried on doing the same shit for over a decade it would get a little stale?

Innovation and development isn't a bad thing when it comes to things above the radar; that's exactly what should be done... Meets The Indie Culture for example?

Disclaimer: don't get on a high horse, those are questions, not accusations.
I think you've probably taken what I was saying out of context. I was attempting to elucidate the reason why I was suprised as opposed to criticising or eulogizing. Drug- induced solo mishaps aside, I'm actually a fan of John Frusciante and am eager to see what he brings.

Wu-Tang Meets Indie Culture is more cheap cash-in than development and neither Dreddy Kruger's beats nor the concept are in the least bit innovative.

roaches

A couple of the dudes from System of a Down are also working with Raekwon.

I just want to hear him keep doing what he's doing. Those Vatican City mixtapes aren't bad, his performances on the Ghostface album were solid, that joint with Tragedy is sounding bananas so far, and there's still the shit with Necro and Ill Bill on the way. If he keeps going like this and CL2 is just some pot at the end of the rainbow that he never quite reaches, I'd be happy.

linx

Staff member
roaches said:
A couple of the dudes from System of a Down are also working with Raekwon.

I just want to hear him keep doing what he's doing. Those Vatican City mixtapes aren't bad, his performances on the Ghostface album were solid, that joint with Tragedy is sounding bananas so far, and there's still the shit with Necro and Ill Bill on the way. If he keeps going like this and CL2 is just some pot at the end of the rainbow that he never quite reaches, I'd be happy.
I hear you on that one.

7 Syns

albohemia said:
Off the top I've my head I've enjoyed a lot of joints that have dropped in 2006; Fela Kuti, The Roots, Dro, Mr. Lif, Cunninlynguists, T.I, Ghostface, J Zone / Celph, Kreators, J.R, Sivion, etc..
J.R., as in J.R. Writer?:confused: Wow, thats some left field shit if it is.

peace.

Casey

Staff member
albohemia said:

Wu-Tang & System Of A Down - Shame On A Nigga (from the Loud Rocks compilation) - now that was the shit. Also I'm pretty sure SOAD's drummer John Dolmayan is working on the Rae album as well.

7 Syns said:
J.R., as in J.R. Writer?:confused: Wow, thats some left field shit if it is.

peace.
Yes I was referring to J.R. Writer. I was impressed with the Writer's Block 2 mixtape and his More Than Just Music joints are off the hook. Dude got some mad crazy punchlines to boot.

7 Syns

albohemia said:
Yes I was referring to J.R. Writer. I was impressed with the Writer's Block 2 mixtape and his More Than Just Music joints are off the hook. Dude got some mad crazy punchlines to boot.
I thought both lacked, but then again I was feeling Mo' Money In The Bank 4 and most likely will like Rotten Apple where-as you will probably dislike both. Ah, the ingredients to a beautiful arguement no doubt. Ha

peace.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.