Mos Def is The Mad Rapper

Tito

This might have been posted already but this is from The Source -June 05 article. (Jadakiss on the cover)

"Jimmy Iovine, Lyor Cohen, Doug Morris...all of these dudes were not prepared in their schooling or in any of their social upbringing for a world where they have to deal face to face with, not only people who are outside of their class, but people who in their minds could very well be their servants. Now they gotta deal with somebody (refering to Jay-Z) they've been trained to deal with as their underling as their partner. It's a bitter fuckin pill to swallow, cuz now they need this person." There's more and gets better but you gotta read it for yourself.

"Lil Jon--I love his music. But why are the East Side Boyz' names Big Sam and Lil' Bo? What the fuck? What's next, Kunta and Kinte? The South should know better. This is the same country that ran up in Fred Hampton's crib and shot him in bed with his pregnant wife. You think the rules changed cause niggas got No. 1 records? What are we supposed to tell our kids? After Malcolm, Martin and Dubois, we got Sam-Bo? What, I'm supposed to be down with that 'cause it makes me dance?"

"It used to be 'fight the power': now it's 'watch what you say about me'. Now you a hater. Get the fuck outta here. That ain't no real nigga shit. I'm not makin music for dumb niggas. They ain't my audience and I'm cool with that.

roaches

* Pulling the conscious bandwagon, than jumping away?
* Claimed he was a down-to-earth dude when Rawkus cockblocked his band, but post-The Love Below dropped The New Danger (on which he didn't even have the balls to go all the way, and especially lmao at how half-ass it is after listening to "Rock and Roll" off of his first album)?
* Repping Islam, than bragging in interviews about eating pork?
* Changing the words to "Umi Says" to make some Nike money?
* The GMC commercials? (How're you going to make "New World Water" and then write a jingle to help sell some trucks?)
* His guest appearances in the past couple years... he's said no to everyone except Kanye West and the Neptunes (and General Motors)

"Our priorities is gettin' fucked. Lil Jon-I love his music. But why are the East Side Boyz names Big Sam and Lil Bo? What the fuck? What's next, Kunta and Kinte? The South should know better. This is the same country that ran up in Fred Hampton's crib and shot him in bed with his pregnant wife. You think the rules changed cause niggas got No. 1 records? What are we supposed to tell our kids? After Malcolm, Martin and Dubois we got Sam-Bo? I'm supposed to be down with that 'cause it makes me dance?"
His latest solo album, The New Danger, came out in October, and it's an example of how Mos's iron commitment to his idiosyncratic sensibility can get in his way. It features his laid-back, verbally adroit rapping over shredding rock riffs. Critics dug it, but some fans shrugged. "I think people just were expecting something different," Mos says. "Kinda like, crusading, 'I'm gonna save hip-hop from all these jewelry-wearing, champagne-swigging, sneaker-designing monsters.' And I was like, No, I'm just gonna make some music I like."
He says a bunch of shit and calls people out, but starts sweating when he's held to the same standard. He wants to call out Lil Jon, but I bet he didn't have any problem with appearing in a movie where Halle Berry and Billy Bob Thornton played to white men's antebellum fantasies.

Black Star = wack. Mos Def can't put himself to the same standards he likes to hold other people too. Talib Kweli will diss the Game in an interview, and then put him on his Official Mixtape like a bitch.

*Blasts "8 Steps to Perfection", exits post*

- roaches is the mad poster

Jimmy Iovine, Lyor Cohen, Doug Morris...all of these dudes were not prepared in their schooling or in any of their social upbringing for a world where they have to deal face to face with, not only people who are outside of their class, but people who in their minds could very well be their servants.

Big Sam and Lil' Bo? What the fuck? What's next, Kunta and Kinte? The South should know better. This is the same country that ran up in Fred Hampton's crib and shot him in bed with his pregnant wife. You think the rules changed cause niggas got No. 1 records question whos sambo ??

PuffnScruff

hahah big sam and lil bo, sambo, i just got that. thats kind of fucked up. maybe sam is the guys real name. anyways, mos def sounds like he was high when he did that interview

How the fuck did Mos Def sell out? So many people have spouted that but not one person has explained it. I still think that Mos Def is one of the realest people in the game, and one of the few that have avoided what's destroyed some of the greatest MCs around. The Blackstar LP is ill, Black On Both Sides is ill, and The New Danger is ill (if you're not a close-minded dumbfuck). 50 Cent sold out, Ja Rule sold out, Ludacris sold out. Mos Def? Get the fuck out of here. All of that shit he said is true!

i can see what he's saying in the interview... and all his points seem valid...... i dont see how it makes him "the mad rapper"??

personally i can't stand lil Jon, HE is the sellout...his music has No soul what so ever...and it drives me fucking insane....thank christ its a passing fad.

....whereas Mos Def's music on the other hand is full of soul, purpose, and meaning....and most importantly it has longevity

...lets see what album we'll be listening to in 10 years time...the new danger....or fucking "crunk juice" or whatever the hell its called.......hhhmmmm

roaches said:
* Repping Islam, than bragging in interviews about eating pork?
* The GMC commercials? (How're you going to make "New World Water" and then write a jingle to help sell some trucks?)
* His guest appearances in the past couple years... he's said no to everyone except Kanye West and the Neptunes (and General Motors)
damn i dont really watch tv, i didnt know he did a gmc commercial, yea thats fuckin wack

and the pork thing is funny

yea mos def is fucked up, him common and kanye should make a super group of hyprocrites

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.