MC's whom are trying something different, musically.

roaches

The only person i would give some respect to is Mos Def, his album new danger was fucking out of the norm, and that's what deserves respect.
Roflmao.

7 Syns needs some Project Blowed in his life. What's good with Mikah 9 these days, anyone know?

roaches

When's the last time an MC did something different, anyway?

Furious Five - content/message-oriented rap
Rakim - redefined flow
KRS - song structure
Hieroglyphics / Nas - _popularized_ polysyllabic rhymes
Freestyle Fellowship - flow-related virtuosity for its own sake

What developments have there been in MCing in the past twenty years?

And while we're at it, what about musically?
- Live instrumentation: since Sugar Hill
- That electro/synth-based shit's been around since Bambaataa
- Looping funk/soul/jazz/R&B, digging for breaks, etc.: became dominant in the mid-'80s
- That Bomb Squad shit: there was a good run from It Takes a Nation of Millions... to Niggaz4life, but the courts killed it.

Rap music as a whole hasn't changed very much.

7 Syns

random note; it's the Boom Rap Project record any good? Ive heard alot of great things about it. But haven't heard it as yet.

peace.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
If you're going to ask that question, go listen to another genre of music. I'm not criticizing, it's just advice because if you ask that question, you're obviously bored of what's out there. Judging by your hip-hop knowledge, you should know that people aren't doing some completely innovative things.

roaches said:
What are Murs, Louis Logic, Cage, and the Jedi Mind Tricks doing as emcees that no one else is doing?
I don't wanna sound lazy or ignorant but its pretty much immposible for anyone to actually Mc or spit rhymes differently, if they do its either not rap or sounds awful like tryna break up rhyme patterens not using 16 or 8 bars etc. All in my opinon artists can do to be different or groundbreaking is cahnge the beats and/or subjects they rap about/to.

Murs - different beats, story telling rhymes everyone can relate to about life and women rather than stories about packing 18 kilos of coke in the back of a hummer before murking 7 mexicans and cutting out there wifes liver and feeding it to your rottweiler which have 12 year olds throwin up the Roc....

Louis logic - in a way same as murs more real life situations (the track best friends for example) and like Murs uses genuinly funny humour in hip hop which seems to of died out after NWA, also contrevisial songs like (the brutal truth)

Cage- probably the worst example, but still some strange beats and samples, harsh and dark views + rhymes (ballad of worms)

Jedi mind tricks- Stoupe producing and sampling enough said really...... happy to share the tracks i mentioned with anyone intrested just let us know.

peace

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.