MC's whom are trying something different, musically.

7 Syns

I'm going to admitt it, after being stuck to the speakers bumping hip-hop through some of it's golden ages hearing alot of material delivered now-a-days somewhat bores me to a degree. Ofcourse occassionally I get to hear something from the left field which is unexpected, uninhibited musically and sounds different. I guess if it's good or bad comes down to opinion.

Earlier this year Blueprint and One.Be.Lo came out swinging punches which struck me good. To this day, among with Common they have delivered my 2005 top picks thus far. Last year André tried something different, it came off and sounded real fresh. The year before Common tried it and apparently 'critically' failed. As did Mos Def this year.. I didn't see it. Many other's did. Boom Rap's album was something from the left field and it's banging, dope dope cut.

Unfortunately lack of time in recent times has left me short of going to the cd store to check out whats hot, whats not and what rocks. So after 2 paragraphs on nonsense (3 counting this one) I want to ask you, the fans and consumers of both dopeness and bullshit with a coat of polish, who out there in the world of hip-hop is doing something different. Beyond the 16-hook-16, beyond the Ive got this, beyond the general consensus of what dope due to numbers?

Hit me with names, songs, lp's, links, reviews. Anything. All will be appreciated.

peace.

most obvious pair would be common and kanye.
kanye doesnt really rely on his lyrical skills, its more to do with what hes saying. thats why i can respect him.

TCD

sniper said:
most obvious pair would be common and kanye.
kanye doesnt really rely on his lyrical skills, its more to do with what hes saying. thats why i can respect him.
Agreed :thumb:

ARon

Not the newest but Soul Position was tight, called 8 million stories, you like Blueprint so you should like this.

7 Syns

I really wouldn't put Kanye West here, what is he doing that Mos Def didn't do on say "Black On Both Sides" or Talib on "Reflection Eternal"? or both on "Blackstar"? If it's content you want then Mos/Talib > Kanye, due to the fact their mic skills are far more impressive. Plus with Reflection Eternal, Hi-Tek's beats > Late Registration/College Drop Out's. Common would also go here however, "Electric Circus" was different for sure.

Soul Position, I will check out though.

peace.

roaches

Not Doing Anything Different:
Blueprint: he called his album 1988 for a reason

One Be Lo: standard college-radio underground rap

Common: Electric Circus was different, but he backpedaled very quickly from that (and even on EC - the two actual singles are produced by the Neptunes, one with Mary J. Blige on the chorus and the other with Pharrell - lol)

Eminem: What did he do different besides stop trying?

Mos Def / Andre: rappers move to Hollywood and start acting, pick up guitars and start singing while impersonating their heroes. Most people are decent enough to keep their masturbation to themselves or only play air guitar while other people are around, but they decide to release them as studio albums - but they don't have the balls to go all the way, and temper their so-called experimentation with straightforward rap. This is different? The Fugees dropped The Score while 2Pac was alive, and their members rehashed the shit five or six times before The Love Below dropped.

Doing Something Different:

Kanye West: Chord changes, muted drums, heavy use of live instrumentation to accent and supplement heavy sampling, not replace it.

Edan: A simultaneous tribute to garage rock and old school-to-golden age hip-hop on mushrooms.

Question:
What MCs are doing something different with MCing? Outside of Project Blowed?

Related topic: rapper/producers, and the changing role of the DJ.

Canadian Artist, K-os, with his new CD Joyful Rebellion...

It's different... he still raps... no cursing.. but not about hoes n all that bling... Its real music

7 Syns

^^
thats right K-Os, I have heard Joyful Rebellion and it's nice and all but his debut is alot stronger overall. But the dude's definately on some other shit, he reminds me of a Will-I-Am from the BEP's in 1998 mixed with abit of Murs.

Kanye West: Chord changes, muted drums, heavy use of live instrumentation to accent and supplement heavy sampling, not replace it.
MCing, not producing. Im not gonna argue on what you said though, you pretty much summed it up when he's production is concerned.

peace.

do you listen to much aust or international hiphop 7syns?
What other genre's of music do you listen to?

hell, you may's well start up your own "ask me shit' thread

ARon

Truthfully i dont think I'll ever be able to get used to "international rap", you know shit with an accent, it just dont sound right to me, thats just me though.

You ever check that Soul Position out?

7 Syns said:
I'm going to admitt it, after being stuck to the speakers bumping hip-hop through some of it's golden ages hearing alot of material delivered now-a-days somewhat bores me to a degree. Ofcourse occassionally I get to hear something from the left field which is unexpected, uninhibited musically and sounds different. I guess if it's good or bad comes down to opinion.

Earlier this year Blueprint and One.Be.Lo came out swinging punches which struck me good. To this day, among with Common they have delivered my 2005 top picks thus far. Last year André tried something different, it came off and sounded real fresh. The year before Common tried it and apparently 'critically' failed. As did Mos Def this year.. I didn't see it. Many other's did. Boom Rap's album was something from the left field and it's banging, dope dope cut.

Unfortunately lack of time in recent times has left me short of going to the cd store to check out whats hot, whats not and what rocks. So after 2 paragraphs on nonsense (3 counting this one) I want to ask you, the fans and consumers of both dopeness and bullshit with a coat of polish, who out there in the world of hip-hop is doing something different. Beyond the 16-hook-16, beyond the Ive got this, beyond the general consensus of what dope due to numbers?

Hit me with names, songs, lp's, links, reviews. Anything. All will be appreciated.

peace.
try:

Maino . My Hood

Little Brother . Minstrel Show ..... song Luvin' It

Ahmad . Back in the Day

Papoose . Cherades

7 Syns

Thanx for alot of the replies, however Ive heard most of them.

Maino and that Soul Position aside, I own alot of the songs/records mentioned.

peace.

Everybody is garbage right now, every damn body. Yes that includes those who you think are the shit. The only person i would give some respect to is Mos Def, his album new danger was fucking out of the norm, and that's what deserves respect. I don't know what's so special about this Kanye character. Apart from Mos Def, I would say MF Doom.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.