Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

masta247

Staff member
gtfo with your analysis :)

I understood the meaning, you know. I just youtubed it and: 1. The song sucks. 2. It doesn't rhyme properly :p

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
It does rhyme though. That can't be opinionated, like whether you like it or not. Count the bars or the syllables or something. The way he delivers it, it rhymes.

I didn't like his verse at first. But it grew on me. I hated Nicki's, that grew on me. If anyone is listening to what I'm listening though, I skip her retarded voice.

masta247

Staff member
A wise man once said, "ain't nothin worse than a smart dumb nigga".
You repeat yourself, I see you using this quote at least for the third time already :p

It does rhyme though. That can't be opinionated, like whether you like it or not. Count the bars or the syllables or something. The way he delivers it, it rhymes.
I don't really mean the length of each line etc. I mean the words that he used there.
Milling, spilling and feelings only rhyme well to me but they are all in the same line.
I can't even tell the rhyme scheme that he used there. There's probably no rhyme scheme there at all since his lines don't really end with words that rhyme with each other like it pretty much should be.

Chronic

It's totally random and doesn't even rhyme properly.
If poetry can take liberties with rhyming (which it often does), rap lyrics certainly can as well. But even then...

LOVE, I dont get enough of it
All I get is these vampires and blood suckers
All I see is these niggas I’ve made millionnaires
Milling about, spilling their feelings in the air
All I see is these fake fucks with no fangs
Tryna draw blood from my ice cold vein

en ou gh of it
bl oo d s u ckers

Assonance.

m i llion aire
i n the air

Assonance and full rhyme.

f a n gs
v ei n

With a bit of liberty in the pronounciation the 'a' and 'ei' rhyme closely enough to sound good. Plus add to that the 'n' at the end of the syllable' + 'f' and 'v' share phonetic properties (just sound out the 'f' and then the 'v' right afterwards, your lips will stay in the same place... contrast with saying the 'f' and then the 'd' for example).

A little bit more exciting than

buck
cluck
duck
muck

masta247

Staff member
I didn't expect a reply like this.

Fine with "millionaires" and "in the air" but " fangs" and "vein" or "enough of it" and "bloodsuckers" are just so forced and don't really sound alike. I mean - setting my anti-Jay-Z bias aside I think that this verse sucks. It makes me think that he wanted it to be so cool and use sophisticated "rhymes" while it just doesn't flow well imo.

ARon

"All I see is these niggas I’ve made millionnaires
Milling about, spilling their feelings in the air"

On paper, it's real, but do you think that specific line came from a "Jay-Z" if you hadn't known who it was from?
You can read it and put any rappers name to it.
That's not true at all. Cus what you should have known and i'm surprised SOFI left out is that Beanie Sigel, the man Jay is talking about in that line specifically made a song called "Feel It In The Air" off of his album called The B. Coming, good album actually. Great song too.

So if you knew that shit and knew that Beanie was constantly going at Jigga man not too far back you;d know that he is speaking directly about Sigel, so no, no other rapper could have said that and have it say what Jay was saying.

Chronic

Personally I don't think 'fangs' and 'vein is a stretch at all but I can give you that. The 'enough' and 'bloodsuckers' however...

Phonetic translation:

Enough: ɪˈnʌf
Bloodsucker: blʌdsʌkər

The 'ʌ' part. Perfect vowel rhyme.

And also I missed the 'of it' part.

enough of it
ɪˈnʌf ʌv ət*

bloodsucker
blʌdsʌkər

So the 'ou' in enough and the 'oo' and 'u' in bloodsucker rhyme and the 'i' in it and the 'e' in bloodsucker rhyme. If they don't sound alike the problem is between your ears.

It's not like you need to like the verse but it's clearly not random and they do rhyme properly. You're in the !

(*phonetic translation of 'it' can differ depending on whether or not it's stressed)

Shadows

We don't agree because they're straight up doo doo.

Also, Jigga murderered Monster. They were all tight verses.

Everybody wanna know what my achilles heel is...
LOVE, I dont get enough of it
All I get is these vampires and blood suckers
All I see is these fake fucks with no fangs
Tryna draw blood from my ice cold veins

If that's off-beat and not dope (because it's fucking real, look up the recent beanie sigel fuckery), I don't know what is. It's truth, for fuck's sake.

and Blame Game doesn't sound like Airplanes. That is the most retarded song comparison ever lol.
they rhyme properly, but the scheme is out of place.

for instance.

Kanye and nicki's are flowed so they switch seamlessly.

like:

2,1/
4,3/
6,5/

etc... His is

With no line completely rhymed or sounding completely rhymed
llike:

So, yes it does rhyme but when you don't rhyme the last syllable completely, it soudns a bit fucked up. which is why me and Masta are shitting on him.

Last time i checked, "ER" and "IT" didn't rhyme and...well, that was the ending of the fucking rhyme!

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member

for instance.

like:

2,1/
4,3/
6,5/

etc... His is

llike:

So, yes it does rhyme but when you don't rhyme the last syllable completely, it soudns a bit fucked up. which is why me and Masta are shitting on him.

Last time i checked, "ER" and "IT" didn't rhyme and...well, that was the ending of the fucking rhyme!

Everytime I say it, like Jay says it.... It rhymes perfectly. It's his delivery. The pattern is perfect.

masta247

Staff member
Maybe it's just my "foreigner point of view" but it totally doesn't rhyme to me, no matter how hard I want to make it sound like it does. Also maybe I judge "flow" by different standards. I think that if the last few letters in the last word of each line don't rhyme nicely it doesn't sound right. Extra points if there are extra words that rhyme somewhere in between. I do like simple rhymes unless they are forced. A definition of great flow to me are rather simple lines that make sense and fit the whole context.

It seems like sometimes it's hard to compare hip-hop to written poetry and its rules. For example today I was listening to Lord Finesse and realized that he breaks many "rules" and yet they seem to slip unnoticed and to me he's a perfect example of lyrical greatness as far as rhymes go:

It's how I'd like rhymes delivered.

Casey

Staff member
Nicki's verse is the hottest on the song, to me.

But I fully understand people who don't like the weird voices she does. Some people will and some people won't.

Jigga is always consistent, but if you ask me, all his best flows were in the 90's. Some of his best songs were in the 00's, in terms of song content and production, but flow-wise, mid 90's Jigga still wins.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member

for instance.

like:

2,1/
4,3/
6,5/

etc... His is

llike:

You and Masta have completely exhausted this discussion and have been proven wrong on all matters. But I will say something. There are no rules for rhyme schemes when it comes to rap music. Freeway is known for having some weird ass, non-comprehensible rhyme schemes. I wanna thank Chronic for his technical analysis because it was needed but I don't have the energy for that. To me, when I hear Jigga's verse on my laptop speakers, my headphones and in the car, the verse does four things. It rhymes. It flows. It makes sense. It sounds dope. Four things, bottom line. If you feel different, you're stupid. It's like you telling me that the TV is the microwave. I am not accepting the bullshit you're saying.

masta247

Staff member
You and Masta have completely exhausted this discussion and have been proven wrong on all matters
Not at all. I feel like Shadows made his point and I think I to some extend did too.
I didn't expect Chronic's analysis and I give him props too but some of these rhymes don't really convince me. I mean - I also remember some basic rules what a rhyme needs to have and while these words have the needed minimum to me it's not enough to sound good.
I can see a fine rhyme scheme at some point of that verse but ironically it's the part before the one that you quoted. For example:
"everybody knows I’m a muthaf-cking monster
conquer, stomp ya, stop your silly nonsense
none of you n-ggas know where the swamp is"
Sounds very fine to me. But the latter part that you particularly liked.. just no in my opinion.

But I agree that this discussion has been exhausted since we won't convince each other.

It rhymes. It flows. It makes sense. It sounds dope. Four things, bottom line. If you feel different, you're stupid.
No, if you were serious then you're stupid for thinking that someone's stupid for thinking that what you think is dope is not (lol).
I know that you really like Jay-Z and I think that you can't reconcile anyone not loving him.
And well, I'm not the only person not really feeling him. And no, not everyone who thinks that way is stupid.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
^It's from "My Chain Heavy" featuring Talib Kweli and Consequence. It's a bonus track, whether a Best Buy or iTunes, I forget now.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.