Jay-z

FroDawgg

sure, he's not as dope as he was before (i just listened to Reasonable Doubt today and was still blown away), but in my opinion, he's still better than almost everyone out now, though that might not be saying much.

that being said, if you're basing it on his recent stuff--as good as i think it is--he may not be that more incredible than a lot of others. however, if you look at his career as whole--as well as the influence he has had on EVERY other rapper, regardless of what they might say--I think he easily has enough to put him in the top 10, maybe 5.

yak pac fatal

im not basing it on todays material. i just never saw what was so great about his music. his music never interested me or attracted me to it. do you think hes a top 10 rapper?

it seems like in todays rap, he tries to stay relevant by makin tracks with kanyes/lil wayne/rhianna/jeezy and shit.

roaches

if you can't figure out why people like jay-z after all these years, he's just not for you.

kanyes/lil wayne/rhianna/jeezy
two of those people are his musical children. the other two idolize him. of course they work together.

Kadafi Son

Jay Z never really did impress me. his 1st album was all i kinda liked, but as an overall rapper, I don't know why he gets so much play. There are a bunch of rappers out there who do the same formula as him. If the media pushed other people as equal as Jay, you could (should) have people influence by people like Krayzie Bone or C-Bo

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Judging by which posts you thank and which you don't, it's quite obvious that your goal isn't to find reasons to like Jay-Z's music, but to find reasons that affirm your belief that he isn't good. With that kind of closed-minded thinking, not even "God" could persuade you otherwise. Like roaches said pretty much, you either know or you don't.

THEV1LL4N

and probably the thought that he's written songs without writing them down. don't know to what extent that is true or not though.

masta247

Staff member
Hey, I'm just like you. I really don't get it why people like Jay-Z and his music.
I remember back in the Nas vs. Jay-Z days I couldn't believe that they even place these 2 on the same level. I was "wtf why is that Jay-Z even popular?".
I guess that there are people who just see something in his music I cannot see (hi Sofi), no matter how much I listen to his music (and literally there's not even one verse of his that I like).
For all those years I thought of him as a talentless good-beat waster.
I gave up saying that he's not a good rapper and that his voice is damn boring - I used to say that a lot since that's what I'm still thinking but I realized that there are people who really find something they've been looking for in his music. I don't know what but well.. each to his own.

masta247

Staff member
it's true that most live hip-hop acts suck balls. I don't know about Jay-Z.

I dislike hip-hop concerts. Most MCs just yell their lyrics making it barely listenable (especially in clubs).
Not worth my time and money for me. I'd rather buy a cd.

FroDawgg

^^^yeah. i haven't actually seen jay in person, but i've seen video of him performing, and he actually raps, not yells.

i went to the up in smoke tour in 2000 and eminem, snoop, and dre are the same way.

As far as kicking some real lyrical knowledge on the mic, i've never heard it. That said, I was never a Jay-Z fan anyways.
"kicking knowledge" is overrated. this is hip hop. why must every rapper be the next tupac or he isn't good? and he does rap about relevant issues.. they might just be more sparse or more subtley placed than a "white man'z world" or something.

a whole lot of strange posts in here.

"kicking knowledge" is overrated. this is hip hop. why must every rapper be the next tupac or he isn't good? and he does rap about relevant issues.. they might just be more sparse or more subtley placed than a "white man'z world" or something.

a whole lot of strange posts in here.
Like i said, I was never a Jay-Z fan so i wouldn't know what type of shit he kicks throughout his albums. Based on what i have heard, he's just another commercial rapper that's blown up on TV and the radio. Whatever little i have heard obviously hasn't been good enough for me to keep listening to his music, so, therefore, i am puzzled as to why people classify him as being great. Some even call him the GOAT.

btw, Since when is kicking knowledge overrated? Are you one of those dudes that is afraid to kick knowledge 'cause you like "keepin' it real?" Kicking knowledge, and realism in your lyrics, and having the same lifestyle you speak of in your lyrics is what makes the hip hop culture what it is. Why do you think people listen to Jay-Z and Lil' Wayne and all these other rappers glorifying a lavish lifestyle? 'Cause the fans can only imagine living that way, 'cause they'll never live that way with that much money, cars, and jewelry.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Jay is a good MC and has a good presence and charisma on the microphone.

Having said that I do think he is over rated. Anything after Reasonable Doubt was a let down. And all of his subject matter is the same now. I cant remember the last time he had a song that actually had a message on it, or at least wasnt about how good he thought he was.

But, yeah, he is dope at what he does though. Its just that it is repetitive as hell after so many albums.

Like i said, I was never a Jay-Z fan so i wouldn't know what type of shit he kicks throughout his albums. Based on what i have heard, he's just another commercial rapper that's blown up on TV and the radio. Whatever little i have heard obviously hasn't been good enough for me to keep listening to his music, so, therefore, i am puzzled as to why people classify him as being great. Some even call him the GOAT.
fair enough. don't expect to be able to understand why he's great if you've only heard a few songs of his, singles at that.

btw, Since when is kicking knowledge overrated? Are you one of those dudes that is afraid to kick knowledge 'cause you like "keepin' it real?" Kicking knowledge, and realism in your lyrics, and having the same lifestyle you speak of in your lyrics is what makes the hip hop culture what it is. Why do you think people listen to Jay-Z and Lil' Wayne and all these other rappers glorifying a lavish lifestyle? 'Cause the fans can only imagine living that way, 'cause they'll never live that way with that much money, cars, and jewelry.
well i don't rap. and i assumed by "kicking knowledge" you meant campaigning for women's rights and preaching about black history, etc. i believe that's overrated because i look at hip hop as music and music as entertainment and nothing more. i don't need/want rappers to preach to me and i think it's stupid to think that if a rapper doesn't try to do these things in his rhymes then he's not as good as a rapper who does.

if by kicking knowledge you meant something else, like conveying realism and the struggles of the individual then Jay-Z is probably the best at doing this.

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
Most rappers, YELL into the microphone, which makes it unbearable. Makes me wanna stab a nigga just for that.

They don't understand the concept of just speaking into the mic and doing that it will amplify it thru the speakers.

have never bought a jay-z album and have never wanted to.

jayzs probably just good at stage presence and performance as a rap artist, though his material has never appealed to me cause his flows sound random like he just spitting out random words that rhyme and have no connection. he also has big lips and could probably suck an egg from a chickens ass better than he could rap

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.