J Dilla Just Died

PDT

Holy fuck, I just read that on sohh now, what the fuck? That sucks ass, I love Jay Dee. RIP to one of the greatest beatmakers, definitely one of the most slept on beatmakers.

PuffnScruff

seriously? is this for real?

i'm waiting on donuts to come in . should be here monday or tuesday.

edit: i just read about it. damn thats crazy. he's been one of my favorite producers for a while.

RIP

Casey

Staff member
I was just about to post this. This has to go in the news.

-------------------------------------------------------

From SOHH:

Hip-Hop producer/MC Jay Dee, also known as J Dilla, has reported passed away earlier today (February 10) in a hospital in Los Angeles, due to liver complications.

The beatmaker has been sick for an unspecified amount of time. His latest album, Donuts, was released earlier this week.

Dilla, who was a founding member of Slum Village and a member of A Tribe Called Quest's production team The Ummah, is best known for producing tracks for Busta Rhymes, Common, De La Soul, D'Angelo, Erykah Badu, and The Pharcyde.

Dilla has more recently worked with Ghostface Killah, Kanye West on Com's critically acclaimed album Be, as well as Champion Sound with fellow quirky producer Madlib.

Besides Donuts, he released another solo LP, Welcome To Detroit, in 2001, and has another album dropping later this year on Stones Throw Records.

Longtime fan Pharrell of The Neptunes, has gone on record calling Dilla one of his "favorite producers of all time."

Jay Dee will be sorely missed. SOHH will be sure to provide you with more information as it becomes available.

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
R.I.P to him and every1 else thats ever passed. :(
Someone post the picture chronic is talking about here please.

Thanks.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I just got up and heard the news.

Very bad... And apparently the problems were caused by overworking. I can't believe that personally... But you never know.

There's a story on the news page now.

ARon

I'm pretty sure if you have a pulse you were a fan of his work. Show some respect and appreciation to one of the most original producers we've seen, go out and buy his album. Might just show some appreciation to true talent, good music, and from waht i've ever read a good guy.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online