Its Official: Death Row Records Is No More

I bet Petey Pablo is kicking himself for his 'career move now' :laugh: Damn, who could have envisioned this ten years ago?.....

LOS ANGELES: A judge said he would take control of Marion "Suge" Knight's assets, including his Death Row Records label, after finding the rap mogul had avoided paying a $US107 million civil court judgement.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Ronald Sohigian said Knight, who co-founded Death Row with rapper Dr Dre in the early 1990s and helped launch the careers of performers Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur, could stave off the order if he fully disclosed his assets in a debtor's exam set for April 1.

Sohigian said he would appoint a court officer to take over Knight's finances because he had failed to make good on a $107 million judgement won last March by Lydia Harris, who claimed he cheated her out of a 50 percent stake in the rap label.

"Because he had a long history of deceiving the court and avoiding payment, I asked the court to appoint a receiver to take over," Harris' attorney, Rex Julian Beaber, said.

"If Knight co-operates in providing the information, he can ask the court to remove the receiver. But I don't think there's a chance in hell Knight is going to cooperate."

Beaber said Knight, 40, who saw his rap empire wither while he served two stints in prison since 1996, had spent the past year "playing games" in court to avoid paying the judgement.

"There has been a very, very protracted history of difficulty in the case," Sohigian said in issuing his ruling.

AdvertisementAdvertisementA lawyer for Knight, Dermot Givens, said later the judge had not formally signed an order taking control of the rap mogul's assets, and Givens expected to have it overturned by proving Knight and Harris had reached a settlement in the case.

"In May of 2005, she received a million dollars and rights to various music, and she signed a settlement agreement," Givens told Reuters. He said Harris was trying to back out of that settlement under pressure from her ex-husband, Michael, who would be entitled to share in the original $107 million judgement.

The judge has not signed off on any settlement between Knight and Harris. Beaber and a lawyer for Michael Harris, Steven Goldberg, said there was no such agreement and Goldberg predicted Knight would ultimately lose control of his record label.

"I think it's a death knell for Death Row," Goldberg told reporters outside court.

Source: Reuters

Harry - O Was Eligable For Parole At The End Of 05 So I Am Not Sure When He Will Get Out But Be Sure When He Does Suge Is Gonna Be Top Of His List

Good. Honestly, Suge doesn't deserve success. It's awesome to see that he now has to pay out the ass for his crooked ways. I hope that they find some evidence that proves he had Pac killed, so he can go to prison for life also.

Buh-bye Sugar Bear

The_Destroyer said:
Honestly, Suge doesn't deserve success. It's awesome to see that he now has to pay out the ass for his crooked ways. I hope that they find some evidence that proves he had Pac killed, so he can go to prison for life also.
Exactly. I can appreciate that he paved the way for a lot of artists who, under his wing, put out some of my most favorite songs and albums, but he brought too much street shit into the rap game, and a lot of that bullshit rubbed off on Pac. Come on, guys got shot at, beat down, humiliated, ripped off and taken advantage of while in Death Row's offices. Death Row wasn't about black empowerment, it was about Suge getting as much money as he can through record sales and jerking his artists while gaining notoriety for himself and his Blood homies. That's not what hip-hop music is about.

AmerikazMost said:
Not as though it had much of a future anyway.

Just wondering what effect the seizure will have any Pac related material/projects they had.
ya i wounder if their gunna take over the pac masters suge owns... like all eyez on me. i see some shitty all eyez on me remixes in the future if the rights to the AEOM masters are given to someone else lol. and for the people that say suge got pac killed..... y would he get pac shot while he was in the car, hes not stupid

Dante

Meyer & Dante Best Friends4eva
this is actually a good thing for pac people...

harris, if given stake, will release to rejuvenate the label. i bet we actually see releases and not compilations. either way, it means suge or the controlling party HAS to make some revenue, and i still smell 2pac as the cash cow.

Deathrow is(was) one of the record labels that is not controled by the "shopkeepers" suge did what he could do best stack a lot of money ...yall better respect that man !!!
and 4 those who still think that suge got pac killed ...you really need a doctor .Pac got killed by the fedz directly or indirectly.you dont sit right next to the man and expect not to be shot !

P diddy is a mason and thats the reason why he is still on top an makin g´s .Suge is hated by those peopel he is contra illumnati that´s why the want him bankrupt dead or in jail

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.