Is the problem with rap today, that its lost its hiphop?

S. Fourteen

I think the meaning is - from some fans point of view, hip hop has turned into a genre of music instead of a culture or lifestyle. Uneducated fans don't understand the true meaning of hip hop. hip hop has lost it's essence. That's a debatable statement though.

saltynuts said:
hip hop has lost it's essence. That's a debatable statement though.
thats the truth. now im not saying the essence of hip hop is gone, but it no longer exists in the majority of "rap" fans. i think either you get hip hop, or you dont. its been like that from the beginning, but now even the people who dont "get" hip hop are the ones demanding it. and like someone said earlier, its all about supply and demand. so if the music being demanded is demanded by "essence-less" fans, the music being produced will have no soul. thats not to say theres no true hip hop out there now, its just a little harder to find. i think commons new album should be celebrated right now, because i believe that he is hip hop, he knows what its about, and he puts it on wax. maybe im wrong, but thats how i feel

"Fans are lazy they don't wanna check shit out emselves they'd rather download shit. N they will probably only check it if you put a link down...even than some still say fuck you..."
i agree laziness makes people download shit thats just on the radio and dont take time to research

Rukas said:
The problem with rap today, is the fans. The problem with the fans is, they arent Hip-Hop.

truth...they are the ones who decide if sum1 like 50 is going be big and conitnue making music like he is. Dont hate on 50 for making his money and pimping these people, hate on the fans and educate them on the realness.Fans need to be held accountable too.

Rukas said:
The problem with rap today, is the fans. The problem with the fans is, they arent Hip-Hop.
You care to elaborate on that Rukas? What is a person that is "hip-hop?" Is it the person that has embraced the culture? You seem like the type of person, judging from other post that you want hip-hip to branch out into other, "non hip-hop" communities. From what you said above, you're assuming that hip-hop has achieved that goal. If that is true, do you expect that once a person has embraced hip-hop, that they must become"hip-hop?"

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
It's the fact that most kiddies look for tight beats and think it's a classic. They aren't hiphop heads, their just on the mainstream bandwagon.

They don't look for storytelling, multis, comparaisons, not even the topic of rap. There's a reason why great Mc's like Mos Def haven't blown to the extent like 50 Cent did. Their shit is stickly for the HipHop heads, not mainstream kids.

^^^^ 100% True. Perfect example of that, like 2 months after The Documentary came out, people were calling it a "classic". Please, that album is so far away from classic it's not even funny. Just cuz an album got good beats don't make it a classic, kids. And guys like Mos should easily be making 50 money, it's a shame he's not

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
^^^ EXACTLY!

I was reading on here right after 'The Documentary' was released and I couldn't believe it was being called 'classic' even the fact that they were saying he's gonna 'bring back the west' with this album. The shit doesn't even sound westcoast. Warren G is pure westcoast music. I listened to the album for a week and never touched it again. Now, I don't have anything against Game, he's doing his thing and he's have very good tracks, butppl calling it a classic is far from the truth.

Up to now, the only classic albums in my eyes that has been released recently, would be Masta Ace - A Long Hot Summer.

There are other that are fire. The recent Mos Def is excellent also. I have a feeling Common's 'BE' will be great also.

Peace

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.