Is the problem with rap today, that its lost its hiphop?

Sarr

Wishes he was on probation
i dont like the fact that alota wierd teenagers have become such a huge part of the hiphop scene.

I prefer rap music how it was in 1994-1998...really grimey, basic, yet sick.

thats also a good way of looking at it... everything is ruled by demand & supply... so if the demand today is for soft artist rap is going to cater to the fans who demand soft rap. That may be why, who may have been "hard" artist turned weak on us, ie Snoop

~peace

Mase

Mainstream fans that are only getting exposed to mainstream music don't see enough good Hip Hop to be Hip Hop. That is what is wrong with fans, but I don't blame people, it took me 2 years bumping shit music to start supporting decent artists.

linx

Staff member
There simply aren't enough people that look at the music like a true hiphop head should. I haven't ever actually MET anyone that I truely felt loved hiphop music just as much if not more then me. I know someone online that really loves and enjoys the music, but he knows nothing about old school hiphop and he pretty much brushes off all of the mainstream music.

Me? I do it all really. I started listening to hiphop at a young age and I fell in love with it at that young age. As time went on and I discovered more shit, it was beautiful. When I find an older album that I haven't really listened to before and I listen to it and it's a great album, I get pretty excited over it. Cause I just love the music like that! When I hear someone spit a dope verse, I get excited over it. Shit like that I just love.

Alot of people today just don't know enough about hiphop music. How it started and evolved into what it is today. The music has changed a shitload. There are alot of people that think 50 Cent is horrible and they can't stand him, but I think he makes great music and I listen to him AND G-Unit. You just gotta know what you are listening to a certain artist for. You can't look at it all the same and expect everyone to be making hot songs and spitting the hottest verses. I'm not a huge fan of Dipset, but I downloaded Juelz Santana's "Back Like Cooked Crack Vol. 2" and I think it's pretty dope.

People these days just don't care enough. They might look at an album and say it's dope or whatever, but you don't see people really bumping the albums and analzying em to see if they are classic material. I remember the first time I heard Raekwon's "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" and I was like "wow, this is a great album". I was young at the time when it came out, but after I listened to it a few more times I knew it was a classic album. There is a certain mood hiphop music can put certain people in. The kind of mood where you really love to just sit back and enjoy the music. Now it's all about bumping the hottest music in your ride and what's hot on MTV.

Anyway, i'm gonna stop right there. I could keep going, but I realized I was probably just typing away. Although I might not have explained some of that too great, i'm sure people see what I mean. I think you gotta be one of those people to REALLY feel me.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I gave a workmate a lift in my car the other day, in the Stereo was Disposable Arts. His comment summed up modern rap fans. "The beats very low key/simple". I said it was mainly about the lyrics. He just looked at me.

Rap music these days is all about beats and catchy hooks. Wordplay and lyrics are very much a second part of it. As long as you've got heavy beats and a "gangsta" image, you will sell records.

the majority dont listen to hip hop, they listen to songs with catchy hooks and simple lyrics.

dont blame the industry or the rappers, blame the fans, they buy the shit that crap rappers put out.

ArtsyGirl

Really everyone is responsible for themselves. If rappers are true artists who love music they'll put out what they feel is worthy, it wont matter what numb skull teenagers think they wont be working for them. If you look at the situation like Hip Hop survives on what fans think and what fans want then its gonna be a mess. But if artists really care about the music and dont take orders from unloyal listeners we gonna get the kind of music that will be generational. You look at any genre of music and those that are remembered and admired are so because they had a message and loved the music. Hip Hop has to take the attention off the money (fans) and onto what they are actually doing and producing.

Rukas said:
The problem with rap today, is the fans. The problem with the fans is, they arent Hip-Hop.
The fans aren't Hip-Hop?...You mean every fan should be an emcee, a graff artist, a b-boy or a turntabelist?<< I don't represent ne of those elements does that mean I fuck hip-hop up and I'm a problem to hip-hop?

The problem with the fans is they are lazy.
The problem with hip-hop is it's worth millions.

There is nothing else if you know this and can live with it you'll be fine.

Fans are lazy they don't wanna check shit out emselves they'd rather download shit. N they will probably only check it if you put a link down...even than some still say fuck you...

Hip-hop is worth millions...Live with that...Quit bitchin about it! It is never gonna change!!! If you think hip-hop is in trouble become that active listener and search for new shit everyday...and share that with others...

S. Fourteen

There are fans that are lazy as in they don't take the time to listen to good lyrics because a) they like simple lyrics (ie 50 Cent), they want to get it right away. They don't want to spend the time dissecting complex lyricism. b) they just don't relate to some of the shit that is being rapped (OR both). You don't have to be black and from the hood to understand and relate to good rap music, we all know that, but some fans are too lazy to think when they listen to music so they prefer the simple stuff like 'shake that ass' 'I like big butts' 'guns *gunshot sound*' 'my Lambo with Lambo doors! on 20s'.

I speak that from looking at people around me. They don't try hard enough to find good music but they bitch about how it's 'wack these days'. They go out and buy records but they don't try new shit, every album they buy is within a certain circle... a good example would be Aftermath (or even ROC when they were around) like the only albums they bought in the last couple years are 50 Cent, Young Buck, Obie Trice and Eminem... yet they say 90% of Hip Hop sucks.
hmmmm

I know they can appreciate good Hip Hop if they tried.

PS. I don't think this is a problem. These kind of people were around back in the day too. They bought It Takes Thief by Coolio because Fantastic Voyage had a catchy hook. They bought All Eyez On Me because Tupac was so gangsta. Maybe the number has changed but you know what? I think people were bitching and saying 'Hip Hop is going to die' back then too.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
saltynuts said:
PS. I don't think this is a problem. These kind of people were around back in the day too. They bought It Takes Thief by Coolio because Fantastic Voyage had a catchy hook. They bought All Eyez On Me because Tupac was so gangsta. Maybe the number has changed but you know what? I think people were bitching and saying 'Hip Hop is going to die' back then too.

So true.

Every year we hear hip-hop is dead. 1998 was the year of the shiny suits. Thank fuck that year is gone.

also Salty I agree with you but I wanna add something...

Some ppl aren't just open enough..When some 1 tells you eyo check this shit out..You gotta give that artist some time..His or her flow is 9 out of the 10 times not as good as your top 5 rappers...Why? because you are used to their flow...Same with the lyrics and beat...give em some time...listen without comparing it to other rappers unless it's a jacked beat^..

I say some fans just raise the bar too high and that's why you have ppl saying ( just an example) Canibus sucks....Even over dope beats ( rip the jacker)

jasedwads

On probation, please report any break in the guidl
rap just moves on in stages. The original hip hop scene was just the beginning. I mean now the new thing is 'crunk' or what ever its called. As long as theres a huge variety of rappers then rap will be in good hands.

A lot of people are quickto diss 50 cent. But the only reasons he gets hated on so much is because theres other rappers who put so much more effort into there lyrics, and the fact that he makes the simple lyrics , good beat track (club tracks). Which will equal in lots of profits.

I dont think 50 cent cares that he is on a label that tells him what tracks he can or cannot put out. He has came from the bottom to the top. That enough about 50 cent.

Look at other artists like ImmortalTechnique for example. His rapis all about the lyrics. Its a lyrical structure thathe enjoys doing. And the people who buy the club tracks, or people who only like main stream are not even going to think about buying underground.

Thats a crime buy me and many others. I dont buy enough underground rap, I get the main underground rappers.

In a nut shell my ramblng on basically means , people who like lyrical music will buy that, people who like gangster music will buy that. And remember its just music, the club scene the people will want to dance to eat, they wont care about the lyrics, as long as theres a catchy hook.

Look at the new blackeyed peas track 'dont funk with my heart'.

For example people in the club or where ever when they sing thathook, they may say dont fuck with my heart.

This is just an example. The hooks and beats are the main things that get heard.A true rap listener will try all rapout a choose the best one for him or her.

The year 98 when all the videos can out where they were pratically the same, shiny suits, strange camera angle, lots of weman dancing. Mase did a lot of things like that. Now a days the new things are different but theres a similarity in all videos to day.

I have a friend that just listens to 50 cent and mainstream shit. I was listening to tupac, nas, and big l and he says im a hardcore rap fan. Fans like him will be gone when rap isn't mainstream or cool anymore.

MAKaveli_10 said:
I have a friend that just listens to 50 cent and mainstream shit. I was listening to tupac, nas, and big l and he says im a hardcore rap fan. Fans like him will be gone when rap isn't mainstream or cool anymore.
tupac and nas are both mainstream...

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
one mc on dj said:
tupac and nas are both mainstream...

I think that's what he meant.

His friend thinks they're hardcore. They are to the average rap fan. A work colleague of my friend also felt 2pac was hardcore, I laughed. He was a big Eminem fan.

jasedwads said:
A lot of people are quickto diss 50 cent. But the only reasons he gets hated on so much is because theres other rappers who put so much more effort into there lyrics, and the fact that he makes the simple lyrics , good beat track (club tracks). Which will equal in lots of profits.
It's all about subject matter. When Power of the Dollar came out he was spitting with hunger, fire, and general thoughtfulness and wit. In short that's what his surroundings were like.

Once the $ has rolled in, what motivation is he gonna have to spit like that again? That takes a lot of hard work once your surroundings change to glitz and glamour, and I suppose he is adjusting to his new surroundings by changing his lyrics and subject matter.

Theory--once a rapper 'makes it,' or 'blows up,' just stop listening to them because it won't ever be the same again. Once in a while you might see a Stillmatic or a Blueprint from people who have something to prove, like Jay and Nas did back in '01-'02, but that's it. Especially nowadays, beef is nothing like it was back in the day with The Bridge vs South Bronx type shit. It's all corporate driven and rigged. Don't believe me? Look at this Game vs. 50 bullshit that happened, it was just to generate sales for both of their albums.

-Z-

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.