Illmatic vs. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Illmatic vs. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

• Illmatic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Production overal you have more to choose from for hits such as Incarerated Scarfaces, Glaciers of Ice, Verbal Intercourse, Ice Cream, Wu Gambino, and others which depend your taste (Knowledge God, Criminology, Jewels, Heaven and Hell)

Lyricism wise Nas kills it, espcially kills Rae' even on his OWN shit let alone

ARon

GhettoStar said:
Production overal you have more to choose from for hits such as Incarerated Scarfaces, Glaciers of Ice, Verbal Intercourse, Ice Cream, Wu Gambino, and others which depend your taste (Knowledge God, Criminology, Jewels, Heaven and Hell)

Lyricism wise Nas kills it, espcially kills Rae' even on his OWN shit let alone
True on all that but what makes Illmatic monumentous just for production on an album is that the group of producers who did it, we haven't seen that line up ever, not before not after. And I shouldnt be basing shit on just names but all of them came through incredibly.

linx

Staff member
You make a good point Aristotle. But as far as the finished product, comparing album to album.. it's alot closer than people think. Illmatic doesn't just blow Only Built 4 Cuban Linx "out of the water". They came out in 1994 and 1995 and are probably the 2 best east coast albums to come out since then.

roaches

thats what i think too. i think the production was probably ahead of its time for that era. when people try to compare it to albums that came out years after illmatic dropped, its well, just laughable. they dont understand how much equipment, samplers, and drum machines changed in just a few years. the production on illmatic layed the foundation for the later albums even up to this day.
This just isn't true. The reason Illmatic got so much love when it came out was because it eschewed the current popular aesthetic (i.e., Dr. Dre) in favor of the traditional New York sound.

ARon

roaches said:
This just isn't true. The reason Illmatic got so much love when it came out was because it eschewed the current popular aesthetic (i.e., Dr. Dre) in favor of the traditional New York sound.
So True.

Which one do you prefer?

roaches

Illmatic used to be my favorite album, period, but now I don't know anymore. Both of the albums are up on there on that tier of records that I like way too much.

this was close imo but for me ob4cl takes it. just the overall feel of the album from the minute you put it it in its listenable illmatic took a bit longer to get into plus better production on ob4cl.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.