Illmatic To Now:Nas

in my opinion, nas never really fell of, infact he got better, if u compare his lyrics and flow now to his lyrics and flow on illmatic, illmatic takes it in lyrics and stillmatic/street disciple/godson take it in flow and passion, i can listen to illmatic and think wow, but i dont feel it like i would feel me against the world, lyrically illmatic is far superior, but in terms of flow, depth and passion, it doesnt come close.

in my opinion nas is now the perfect rapper, lyrically hes one of the best, his voice sounds better and hes got quantity but at the same time quality.

opinions

:thumb:

his defintely progressed musicaly, which some artists struggle to do. he hasnt fallen of at all if you listen to his new album.

and some rappers arnnt exactly about depth and passoin though

Silleone said:
in my opinion, nas never really fell of, infact he got better, if u compare his lyrics and flow now to his lyrics and flow on illmatic, illmatic takes it in lyrics and stillmatic/street disciple/godson take it in flow and passion, i can listen to illmatic and think wow, but i dont feel it like i would feel me against the world, lyrically illmatic is far superior, but in terms of flow, depth and passion, it doesnt come close.

in my opinion nas is now the perfect rapper, lyrically hes one of the best, his voice sounds better and hes got quantity but at the same time quality.

opinions

:thumb:
Like it or not between 1997 and 2000 NaS did fall off. If Stillmatic and God's Son weren't such successes you wouldn't just have written what you did. Because of NaS' reincarnation into the archetypal "lone wolf stand alone" rapper his catalogue has now benefited from revisionism.

His flow has not improved a great deal from Illmatic; You can't seriously compare his excellent flow on 'Life's A Bitch' to any of his post 94' works - as for depth...granted; NaS addresses a wider margin of topics in his rhymes now than he did on Illmatic but because of this, his recent efforts have suffered from a lack of coheasiveness. Where Illmatic stuck to a theme throughout, something like Street's Disciple jumps from socially aware tracks to party and bitch joints to introspectively expressive pieces and back again.

His passion, be it calousness or affectionate manifested itself very successfully on God Son but falters on Street's Disciple. As for quantity vs. quality, the aforementioned album would be a classic EP if it were were broken down to six or seven tracks which in my opinion shows NaS (with Streets Disciple at least) got the balance very wrong.

Lyrically NaS is above average but by no means the best in the industy. There are a thousand other rappers at current, lyrically better than him but they have not made an Illmatic and are for the large part unknown by your 'soundscan' audience. This is where NaS' achievement should be lauded; instead of making him out to be something he's not, we should appreciate his ability to find a subtle balance between a mainstream / real head audience which he has successfully targeted without compromising his status in the game.

Go listen to Nastradamus and tell me he didn't fall off. C'mon dog :p

cm_millionaire said:
Go listen to Nastradamus and tell me he didn't fall off. C'mon dog :p
Nastradmus is not a poor album, it is average for Nas, i personally think people over-look the songs on there:

Nastradmus
Life we choose
come get me
shoot em up
god love us
last words
familiy
new world
big girl

Of coarse Nas has devoloped his thinking throughout his career. On his first album 'Illmatic' (classic), I saw him as a hungry rapper coming out of New York, but as his albums went on he added more emotion to his tracks and was more in-depth in his lyrics.

Ant

Nas is by far my favourite alive rapper, and only comes second of all time to 'Pac.

Nastradamus is not that great I don't think, the odd good track but I get bored listening to it, give me any of his other LP's and they're tight as hell.

I'm really into Streets Desciple right now.

Mr. Untouchable said:
Of coarse Nas has devoloped his thinking throughout his career. On his first album 'Illmatic' (classic), I saw him as a hungry rapper coming out of New York, but as his albums went on he added more emotion to his tracks and was more in-depth in his lyrics.
unfortunately however, NaS has proven that "developing his thinking" doesn't always translate into classic albums.

I agree with the person who made the post.. Nas has progressed nicely in his career and his albums since Illmatic are very good... Nas is just the best in the game right now... Regardless of what anyone else might say about 50 being this or that... :thumb:

Rather Unique said:
Nastradmus is not a poor album, it is average for Nas, i personally think people over-look the songs on there:

Nastradmus
Life we choose
come get me
shoot em up
god love us
last words
familiy
new world
big girl
Shoot Em Up is the only above average song on the album the rest are all poor to average. Would still have been a shit album whoever made it. If Cassidy, Master P or some equally abhorrent rapper dropped this tommorrow we'd still think it stinks just as much.

2pacnbiggie said:
lol theres far more overrated rappers than nas...

50 cent, eminem, jay z, to name a few.

Illmatic, Stillmatic, Lost Tapes = Classics
You think 'Stillmatic' is a classic just because The Source gave it five mics? there is five good songs on that album so it could have been a classic EP - Lost Tapes on the other hand is dope and I'm very close to calling it a Classic. But that's just it.

Illmatic = CLASSIC
It Was Written = Average
I Am = Horrible
Nastradamus = DISGUSTING
Stillmatic = Average (I'm being nice!)
Lost Tapes = Near Classic
God's Son = Average
Streets Disciple = Average (would have been good if it was cut down to a single disc but that's always the case)

OVER THE SPACE OF HIS CAREER (8 albums):
Good albums = 2
Average = 4
Bad albums = 2

Now that is overated! Maybe you people just need to listen to hip hop more and set your standards higher. The stats speak for themselves.

^^^^
Your'e a fuckin hater... I mean c'mon you call Stillmatic and It Was Written average? Go listen to your 50 cd's... Obviously you have some sort of vendetta against Nas...

tHuG $TyLe

Staff member
Illmatic = CLASSIC
It Was Written = Average
I Am = Horrible
Nastradamus = DISGUSTING
God's Son = Average
Streets Disciple = Average (would have been good if it was cut down to a single disc but that's always the case)

Que?

Stillmatic and It was written average?

Also what stats?

VENOMOUS

On Probation: Please report any break in the guide
cm_millionaire said:
You think 'Stillmatic' is a classic just because The Source gave it five mics? there is five good songs on that album so it could have been a classic EP - Lost Tapes on the other hand is dope and I'm very close to calling it a Classic. But that's just it.

Illmatic = CLASSIC
It Was Written = Average
I Am = Horrible
Nastradamus = DISGUSTING
God's Son = Average

Good albums = 2
Average = 4
Bad albums = 2

Now that is overated! Maybe you people just need to listen to hip hop more and set your standards higher. The stats speak for themselves.
hey thats your opion but how can you come down on nas so hard when your giving saigon props

saigon = nas...........the only thing saigon is better but you can tell he is heavidly influenced by nas

Hot

What people have gotta ask themselves is, who else have you been hearing for over 10 years and still dropping classic shit?

Thats right....nobody.

VENOMOUS

Hot said:
What people have gotta ask themselves is, who else have you been hearing for over 10 years and still dropping classic shit?

Thats right....nobody.
ll cool j
scarface
busta rhymes
masta ace
2pac(r.i.p)
geto boys
outkast
dr.dre

Hot

^^^ I cant really agree with you on any of them besides masta ace.

When was the last time LL, busta or outkast dropped a classic. Im not gonna count dre because 2 albums in over ten years isnt exactly consistently hot.

cm_millionaire said:

Illmatic = CLASSIC
It Was Written = Average
I Am = Horrible
Nastradamus = DISGUSTING
God's Son = Average

Good albums = 2
Average = 4
Bad albums = 2

Don't mean to break your moment of glory, but they are just your oppinions and you don't speak for everybody. 'I Am' wasn't a bad album and in my oppinion, neither was 'Nastradamous'.

VENOMOUS

Hot said:
^^^ I cant really agree with you on any of them besides masta ace.

When was the last time LL, busta or outkast dropped a classic. Im not gonna count dre because 2 albums in over ten years isnt exactly consistently hot.
You dont have to agree but scarface last release was a classic matterfact scarface has more classics under his belt then nas.Outkast has had a couple of classics.ll cool j got classic songs etc... but whatever though.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.