IDL Week 1: Death Certificate by Ice Cube

Mase

Okay, I don't think I'm that good at this but here goes.

"True To The Game" dosn't hold much relevance today because I think it was just one of those things that every rapper does when young. ("How To Rob" and "It's A Problem")

I love the production on this Album, although some tracks sound a bit annoying.
"The Wrong Nigga To Fuck Wit" I don't really like the production on that, but the flow on it makes it a very good track. <That is one thing I like about this Album aswell, he dosn't need an exceptionally good beat to rip the track with his hungriness.

Cube dosn't venture over many different subjects but "My Summer Vacation" is nice aswell.

I like how Cube switches from layed back voice to hard voice, like on "Steady Mobbin" which is one of my favourite tracks on DC.

My favourite beat on the Album is probably the Boogiemen's "Givin' Up The Nappy Dug Out", it's fresh as fuck and laid back, dope hook aswell. The overall production is so fresh, and is definetly unique as far as future Albums are concerned. The hook on "Givin' Up The Nappy Dug Out" is funny as fuck.

This is one of those Albums that has a specific feel to it, I guess it is because there isn't a huge variety in producers.

I love the flow on "A Bird In The Hand", that is one of the best tracks on the Album aswell. This track goes from climax to layback, which is fuckin' dope and the 2nd verse is mad.

"Man's Best Friend" is one of my faves on DC aswell, a creative track with a dope beat. Favourite line:
So this goes to all y'all intruders,
beware of the owner, 'cause the owner is a shooter.
"Color Blind" is one of my favourite tracks of all time. "Us" finishes the Album nicely, along with "No Vaseline".

On racism, I don't give a shit. If you are listening to Hip Hop and get offended by racism, Hip Hop probably isn't for you.

The Album is definetly a classic, the production overall is fucking sick. It does sound a tiny bit outdated but I am used to Albums that have been released recently, and this funky style I dig. The skits aren't as bad as usual and there are some laughable moments during the Album. The only thing that lets this Album down is the variety of subject matter but I don't mind, as long as it is good music and in this case it is fuckin' great music. Kudos to Cube on his best Album.

Preach

roaches said:
Did you feel confused by "I Wanna Kill Sam", despite understanding the sentiment?
funny you should mention that. it's obvious that he's talking about uncle sam, but some times during the song it seems as if he's talking about somebody else than the state.. what exactly did you have in mind when you asked that, though?

This album is definitely a classic. Yes, the subject matter (Racism, government, etc.) is touchy, but it was a reflection of Black society in America at the time, he really was just "telling it like it is". Beat wise, the Boogiemen did a solid job of fitting Cube's style with the beats. Some of the production on this album is downright amazing, and while it falters occasionally, the album still holds up with some of today's best beats.

Lyric wise, Cube was on point on this one, with some of his best work to date on songs like A Bird In The Hand and Doin' Dumb Shit. I Wanna Kill Sam, Man's Best Friend and Us are brilliant in really explaining why things are the way they are in Black America, and Color Blind does a good job of getting in the head of a gangbanger in LA. Overall, this is easily Ice Cube's best work to date, and as much as I would like to see it happen, I highly doubt Cube will ever make anything this interesting, controversial or thought provoking again.

Oh, and by the way, Massengil is a brand of douche, I'm surprised no one knew that

roaches

funny you should mention that. it's obvious that he's talking about uncle sam, but some times during the song it seems as if he's talking about somebody else than the state.. what exactly did you have in mind when you asked that, though?
I'm not quite sure. I just relistened to the song, and now it makes complete sense to me. The first verse makes sense - it's pretty obvious how military recruiters prey on lower-income kids. The second verse also makes sense - he's talking about the slave trade (what makes it confusing is he talks about being thrown in a truck, instead of, say, a ship). The third verse is just the usual militant shit you got in that time period. I think I was just struggling to quickly draw up some points for discussion without going too far in-depth.

Oh, and by the way, Massengil is a brand of douche, I'm surprised no one knew that
*makes joke about how you know all about different kinds of douches*

All different kinds? That's one brand. I only happen to know that cuz I grew up in a house full of mostly women. Off topic but I also have a funny story as to why I know that. When I was about 10 or 11, a friend bought some Massengil for his mom thinking it was air freshener. You should have seen her face lmfao

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.