09. Man's Best Friend (2:06) Producer - Boogiemen, Ice Cube
10. Alive On Arrival (3:11) Producer - Boogiemen, Ice Cube
11. Death (1:03)
12. The Birth (1:21) Producer - Ice Cube, Sir Jinx
13. I Wanna Kill Sam (3:22) Producer - Ice Cube, Sir Jinx
14. Horny Lil' Devil (3:42) Producer - Boogiemen, Ice Cube
15. Black Korea (0:46) Producer - Ice Cube, Sir Jinx
16. True To The Game (4:10) Producer - Ice Cube, Sir Jinx
17. Color Blind (4:29) (featuring Deadly Threat, J-Dee, Kam, King Tee, The Maad Circle) Producer - Boogiemen, Ice Cube
18. Doing Dumb Shit (3:45) Producer - Boogiemen, Ice Cube
19. Us (3:43) Producer - Ice Cube, Sir Jinx
20. No Vaseline (5:13) Producer - Ice Cube, Sir Jinx

The album was mixed by Darryl Dobson, Sir Jinx, DJ Pooh, and Ice Cube
"The Birth" and "The Death" were both written by Khalid Muhammad

So give it a couple of spins and come back to this post and discuss.

Off the top of my head, though:
* "A Bird in the Hand" is my favorite Ice Cube song
* Death Certificate is Ice Cube's best album
* This album is the bridge between It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back and The Chronic.

I've had a lot of chicken marinating for a long time, I'm going to throw it on and listen to this album and feed the entire block, and then I'll be back.

Ice Cube is one of my favorite rappers but Im not sure how 2 describe it. My favorite track off of it is Bird in the hand, I think its speaks on a lot of subjects. I'm surprised it gets as much publicity as it has because of its strong subject matters, but i love the subject matters on it, i think its a strong powerful album.

Don't want to sound too picky but I will not be taking part in this one because of the amount racism scattered around this album. Hopefully the next album will be something different.

roaches

Don't want to sound too picky but I will not be taking part in this one because of the amount racism scattered around this album. Hopefully the next album will be something different.
Why not address that? You don't have to suck the album's dick, you can castrate it if you want.

roaches

* This is the album that each of Eminem's last three albums aspired to be.
* How do you feel about "True to the Game" today?
* What's your take on the racism in this album?
* Who came nicest on "Color Blind"?
* If the vitriol in this album turns you off, what's your take on "Doing Dumb Shit" and "Us"?
* Did you feel confused by "I Wanna Kill Sam", despite understanding the sentiment?

C'mon, y'all.

roaches said:
Why not address that? You don't have to suck the album's dick, you can castrate it if you want.
It being racist has nothing to do with the quality of the album. I'm not going to breakdown an album based on views, that would be absolutely pointless.

You know, not so much very recently, but over the last 2 or 3 months, this album has been in and out of the car stereo regularly. The weather has been nice and sunny, and there aren't too many albums that are better used as a backdrop to cruise around in these conditions. So i already knew this album pretty well, but i still gave it a couple more listens through today, since i didn't have school and had a few hours to kill.

Death Certificate is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, hip hop album/s ever. Ice Cube in 1990-92 was the dopest rapper on the planet, bar none, and this album fell right in the middle of this period. You can argue all day if this album is better than AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted or vice versa - from what i've heard and seen, people are generally equally divided in their opinion on which is better - but no-one can say that this album isn't one of the most powerful, most complete, most influential, most controversial, most well-known albums in hip hop history.

Death Certificate is a more personal album compared to his debut (solo). The beats were fresh and funky, and more west-coast oriented due to the lack of The Bomb Squad (PE's prod. crew) who were heavily present on AMW. It is also one of the last great west coast albums with production that WASN'T trying to be g-funk, because we all know what happened a year later - The Chronic dropped and rocked the hip hop world.

The lyrics, as i say, were slightly more personal. Cube was still as angry as ever, but he was making whole songs relating to particular issues which affected him daily. That's the other thing about this album. I mean, i see people all the time saying that one of the reasons why 2Pac was such a good rapper, and MATW was such a good album, was because he covered so many different issues. Shit, every single song on Death Certificate has a different concept or covers a different issue. It's not just Cube shit-talking anymore. He's still pissing everyone off, but he's also letting everyone know why he's angry, and what he thinks should be done about it. No doubt, you all would've heard rappers say before that they're "just telling it like it is" or that they're "like a news reporter for the streets" or something to that effect. That "news reporter" comparison has never applied more accurately to Cube on Death Certificate.

The concept album starts with the Death Side, a more hard hitting, "brutal" sound, while the second half of the album, the Life Side is (i guess) supposed to be slightly more uplifting. Cube explains this, though, in the intro track:

"Niggas are in a state of emergency.
The Death Side: a mirror image of where we are today.
The Life Side: a vision of where we need to go.
So sign your Death Certificate."

Dope intro.

I'm not gonna go through every song because this is already starting to sound like a review, which i don't want it to, but Cube does say some really dope shit throughout..

One of my favorite songs is "My Summer Vacation", where Cube talks about the LA gang expansion in to other major cities across the US..

"Police looking at niggaz through a microscope
In L.A. everybody and they momma sell dope
They trying to stop it
So what the fuck can I do to make a profit?
Catch a flight to St. Louis"

.. until others catch on to what's gong on..

"BOOM, my homie got shot he's a goner black
St. Louis niggaz want they corner back"

I like when on "Steady Mobbin'", he says this:

"Rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

"A Bird in the Hand" is another of my favorites on the album.. the whole song is a quotable, but i especially like this part:

"I didn't have no money so now I have to hunch the
Back like a slave, thats what be happenin
but whitey says there's no room for the African
Always knew that I would boycott, jeez
but welcome to McDonalds can I take your order please
Gotta sell ya food that might give you cancer
cuz my baby doesn't take no for an answer
Now I pay taxes that you never give me back
what about diapers, bottles, and similac
Do I gotta go sell me a whole lotta crack
for decent shelter and clothes on my back?
Or should I just wait for help from Bush
or Jesse Jackson, and operation Push
If you ask me the whole thing needs a douche"

By far, though, my most favorite song on the album is "Doin' Dumb Shit". It's also probably the happiest song, with Cube reminiscing about his childhood. Each of the 3 verses is set at a different period in his childhood, in chronological order. The second verse is the best, when he's...

"Thirteen, that's how old I was
When my jimmy started getting a little peach fuzz
And I was looking at any butt and ass
Me and my homies started cutting class
Going up to the high school
Looking for any bitch I could lie to
Tell em I was older than I really was
Smoked my first joint and got really buzzed"

The next track, simply titled "Us", is the perfect end to the life side of the album. For the first time, Cube takes a different stance and basically says "a lot of the shit we go through is our own fault aswell" and goes on to list some of the reasons why, such as black on black violence, jealousy/envy within the black community, selling drugs to eachother, etc.

As i said, "No Vaseline" sounds out of place after the above finale, and in my opinon, it should've been either listed as a bonus cut or left off the album. It's still the most brutal and embarassing diss track ever, though.

Impact/influence:

I am convinced that this album is one of the most influential of all time and has also had one of the biggest impacts. I have seen it labelled as the soundtrack to the 1992 LA riots. I have also seen attempts to somewhat re-create this album and it's music many times. As roaches said with Eminem, early 2Pac albums, Kam, WC obviously, Coolio, Ahmad, Scarface, Above The Law, Kid Frost, CMW, etc.

Issues:

Racism:

I've seen so much written about the "racism" on this album. I can honestly say the only time i was even CLOSE to be offended was on "Horny Lil' Devil", and even then i see it as just music. Ice Cube is angry, yeah, but he's angry at everyone, even his own race (see: "Us"). Angry? without a doubt. Profanic(?)? yes. Loud? no doubt. Racist? hmmm.. there's a very, very slight possibility that he's truely racist. But at least he's not closet, at least he gives reasons, and at least he's not afraid to do a 180 and accuse his own race.

I'll leave it at this so other people can have a go, but i might be back with more shit.

roaches said:
* How do you feel about "True to the Game" today?
Well, I'm sure that he didn't have any intentions of being where he is today, and everyone must grow, I honestly think he gained some wisdom and realised everything isn't about "staying true to the game", or at least not in the way he thought at the time.
* What's your take on the racism in this album?
It is blatantly racist, but it was a summation of a collective sentiment at the time, it may seem racist right now, but as aloivas said, it was kind of like the epitome of "telling it like it is".
* Who came nicest on "Color Blind"?
Kam.
* If the vitriol in this album turns you off, what's your take on "Doing Dumb Shit" and "Us"?
Doesn't turn me off, but the contrast adds strength to the overall album, shows his versatility.
* Did you feel confused by "I Wanna Kill Sam", despite understanding the sentiment?
Maybe in the way that it seems he was switching between talking about a sort of archetype and an actual individual, but the sentiment was really all I thought about, now that you mention it I feel a little confused.

Overall the album is one of my favorites, as with most other cohesive albums, my favorite songs are "A Bird in the Hand" (love the BB King sample) and "No Vaseline"...the only problem I have with it is the beats, for the reason that there could be one or two more down tempo beats, and maybe a bit more variance in the drums, but I do understand that it does make it sound more cohesive and gives it a distinctive sound in retrospect.

roaches

What the hell is a "masengel" (OHHLA's spelling)? "I think the whole thing needs a douche / A masengel..." I've been puzzling about this for years, but haven't had the balls to ask anyone because the answer is probably very obvious.

Ice Cube had a pretty narrow range as a rapper, and I think this album proves it. If you believe that crap about hip-hop being the CNN of the streets or whatever, than Ice Cube is the best damn local correspondent/columnist you could find, but never anything more than that. He hasn't been able to expand into new topics, and he hasn't shown the ability to consistently flip new ways of looking at the same shit. That's why he fell off. He said so much on Death Certificate, and after that what else was there? The riots gave him plenty of material for The Predator, but after that he just ran out of shit to say.

tbc

Ice Cube had a pretty narrow range as a rapper, and I think this album proves it.
Not if you're talking content. If you're talking in the way he expressed his lyrics, i agree with you. As you said, he didn't have the ability to look at things in new ways. As i said in my post, he basically told it like he saw it, straight to the point, said why it's that way, and maybe what he thought should be done about it. No-one ever denied he was anything but a topical rapper, though. There are battle rappers and there are topical rappers. Battle rappers rap about how good they are and pride themselves on consistently flipping this style in new ways, via different literary techniques, flows, speeds, references, etc. Topical rappers rap about specific topics. But he adressed more different (important) issues on this album than most rappers do in their career.

I agree with you about running out of shit to say, though. There's always new and different ways to flip battle rhymes if you've got the skill to do so, but there's a limited amount of topics to cover. His first few albums were so chock full of concepts and released in such a short period of time, he had to resort to rapping about putting his back in to it and mixin' blunts and heavy liquors in the club later on in his career.

"Turn off that motherfucking radio!"

Oh yeah, and just so everyone knows, the production team The Boogiemen consist of DJ Pooh, Bobcat and Rashad. I forgot to put this in my first post.

This thread is kind've disappointing, too. Funny how everyone was happy to list 3 albums, but no-one wants to participate in actually discussing.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Bill G said:
It being racist has nothing to do with the quality of the album. I'm not going to breakdown an album based on views, that would be absolutely pointless.

This is a discussion forum, based on the discussion of views. So discuss away.

Actually roaches, I have a confession of my own to make. Ive never owned this disc :(. I cant remember why but it never made my collection (I do have Predator and Lethal Injection on CD and Kill At Will on tape and MP3).

No idea what a masengel is.

I hope Cube comes back with an album of the calibre of his previous efforts like this.

roaches

^.

I had IM conversations with a couple folks about this album, and there were some interesting things said. It'd be nice if someone else had anything else to say. If not, I'm not one to beat a dead horse, and I'm not going to lead one to water if I know it's going to refuse to drink.

Next week is Aquemini. If anyone wants to take things further from there, go ahead.

I don't understand... didn't 10+ people vote for it to be discussed? Where are those 10+ people? Out of the 3 people that actually contributed to this thread beyond 1 sentence, 2 of them didn't even vote for this album...

ya'll are lame... you're happy to spend countless hours bitching and gossiping, as long as you don't have to think for yourselves, but you can't take out 15 minutes to give your views on a true classic.

I mean, no doubt Aquemini will get a much larger response, but still...

Preach

aloivas said:
I don't understand... didn't 10+ people vote for it to be discussed? Where are those 10+ people? Out of the 3 people that actually contributed to this thread beyond 1 sentence, 2 of them didn't even vote for this album....
i'm not sure about all of them, but one of them woke up yesterday, had a final exam in the day, work in the afternoon, chilled with friends in the evening, and slept during the night. i got a final exam now too, then work, but soon as i'm done i'm gonna give the album a listen and come back to discuss.

give it some time, not everybody have a straight hour they can use for just listening to a whole album. i have the weekend now though.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.