I tried to write a review of Late Registration.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I think pretty much all the guest verses on that album were weak. And that a few of the songs do bring the album down a notch.

I absolutely hated Gold Digger, and still think it's pretty crap, but can't get that damn hook out my head.

I thought it was a 4 star album at first, but after a few listens it is a 5 star. I'm loving this album. Kanye has moved on with his beats, but I think BE sounds more polished than LR. Good solid album though and great follow up.

AmerikazMost

I think the most interesting point you brought up, roaches, was it's the first great post-hip hop album. This is not Rakim. This is not EPMD. This is not KRS-One. This is something almost completely different, and it's still something a hip-hop fan can love. I don't want to say he's setting a new bar for hip-hop, but he's definitely unlocking a new door. It'll be interesting to see the trends that follow.

i'll agree with the soft drums.. i tried to play it in my car and a lot of the songs don't bump good at all.. i mean that common song has no bass at all

TCD

As someone said, others are making beats Kanye (and Brion) are making music. If you listen carefully Gone is forever changing. At first listen you just realize that what starts as a happy light hearted song turned dark but when you hear it again you know that the beat changes on every single verse.

Kanye stepped up lyrically on this track and unlike many mainstream rappers he doesn't struggle on subject matter. Roll on Graduation

Duke

Staff member
For me, it's a good, even great, album. It's indeed something special, a new direction. But i wouldn't rate it 5 out of 5, simply because Kanye's rapping needs a lot of work. :p Now i know he's not a rapper (strictly) and that he's doing better than CollegeD., but still, it's not perfect. Far from it.

Guest appearances. I liked Common, disappointed in Nas. The rest is "okay".

Good album, but not good enough to parade it around trumpets blaring.

xxx

AmerikazMost said:
I think the most interesting point you brought up, roaches, was it's the first great post-hip hop album. This is not Rakim. This is not EPMD. This is not KRS-One. This is something almost completely different, and it's still something a hip-hop fan can love. I don't want to say he's setting a new bar for hip-hop, but he's definitely unlocking a new door. It'll be interesting to see the trends that follow.
Exactly. I think it will challenge others like rap producers to come up with something creative for once. I just hope Kanye puts out about 10 more albums.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.