Hip-Hop & Rap ARE NOT THE SAME THING!!!!!!!

I'm sick of even seeing these threads lately saying Hip-Hop is dead. Hip-Hop and Rap are 2 totally different things. Hip-Hop is a genre made up of sub-forms, which consist of the arts: Graffitti(sp), DJing, B-Boying, and Rap. Rap is a sub-form of Hip-Hop. Rap is just plain music, no more and no less. Hip-Hop is a culture, so don't get it twisted. Rap itself may be on a downslide (not necessarily dead) but Hip-Hop in whole is alive and well.

My 2 Cents

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
But isn't rap more popular than ever?

And isn't Graffitti, B-Boying on a downslide?

So how can rap be going down and yet hip-hop still thriving?

Pittsey said:

Actually, I wouldn't say either Graffitti or B-Boying are on a downslide. Graffitti will always exist whether it's a work of art presented as a mural to 'hood legends or some kid who etches the name of their street in wet cement.

And B-Boying is in no way as popular as it was in the 80s, with Crazy Legs and the Rock Steady Crew. But with movies in recent years such as You Got Served and a documentary exploring the West Coast style, Rize, I'd say it's still in effect.

*And when I said Rap was on a downslide, I meant quality - not quantity.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Confucius87 said:
Actually, I wouldn't say either Graffitti or B-Boying are on a downslide. Graffitti will always exist whether it's a work of art presented as a mural to 'hood legends or some kid who etches the name of their street in wet cement.

And B-Boying is in no way as popular as it was in the 80s, with Crazy Legs and the Rock Steady Crew. But with movies in recent years such as You Got Served and a documentary exploring the West Coast style, Rize, I'd say it's still in effect.

*And when I said Rap was on a downslide, I meant quality - not quantity.

I still don't agree. I think there are far more quality acts out now than 10-20 years ago. There is also a lot more diversity than back then, think of all the new styles and sounds.

I also think B-Boying is almost non-existent and that Graf is only done now to tag, and very infrequently.

i disagree.

hiphop is music too. hiphop is music you can dance to, while rap is more about listening, appreciating, bumping, whatever.

--- EDIT

upon re-reading, i agree this is an ignorant statement. i agree with _carmi when she says "hip hop is a culture.
rap is a music genre deriving from the hip hop culture."

however, one thing i will stand by is that you can call "hiphop" music too.

to The Almighty Nasquad, age has nothing to do it, age isnt shit but a number and if you can't realize that than you are the ignorant one.

a

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Advocate said:
i disagree.

hiphop is music too. hiphop is music you can dance to, while rap is more about listening, appreciating, bumping, whatever.

Hip-hop and rap aren't two different musics.

Rap is part of hip-hop as the post starter said. It also incorporates Dancing, painting and playing with records.

You can say hip-hop music; but hip-hop music and rap are the same thing.

Pittsey said:

Rap is not as popular anymore. 50 Cent and Kanye are the only ones who really carry this rap shit. The underground and hip-hop heads on web sites such as this are the only ones who are really following what is going on in the culture. The mainstream stopped giving a fuck about rap 2 years ago. Rap had its reign from 1999-2003(well...it really was 1998 with the explosion of Def Jam and Cash Money). Coincidentally those were the years when Eminem and Rap/Rock were at its prime. And also that era was fueled by the infinite 2Pac and Biggie dick riding, as well as the Jay-Z and Nas beef.

Nobody gives a damn about grafitti and b-boying except for KRS-One, and Europeans.

I'd also like to add that the culture is still striving and evolving.

R&B = Hip-Hop
Hustling drugs = hip-hop
murder = hip-hop

Advocate said:
i disagree.

You're 16 and you don't know what you're talking about. The only reason why you're listening to rap is because of 1999-2003.

7 Syns

When it's all broken down to the core, it's emcing and dj'ing that makes rap. Ofcourse you can have emcing and dj'ing seperately, but thats just how it used to be. Check Grandmaster Flash.

It's just evolved through the years, Rappers used to 90% of the time have a DJ. G Rap/Polo, Kane/Cee, Ra/Eric, Fresh/Jazzy Jeff.. Now-a-days the DJ is reserved specially for touring and live shows, and the beats are made from "producers" which in term in hip-hop are descendents from those DJ's.

Rap is hip-hop music, no matter the quality it's just how it's done and sounds then it comes down to opinion on whats hot and whats not. Subgenre's cloud peoples judgement of whats rap and whats hip-hop, well it came from the same seed so it's the same tree. Hip-hop on an overall picture is more then rap, B-Boying Grafing Djing all fall into it.

peace.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
The Almighty Nasquad said:
Rap is not as popular anymore. 50 Cent and Kanye are the only ones who really carry this rap shit. The underground and hip-hop heads on web sites such as this are the only ones who are really following what is going on in the culture. The mainstream stopped giving a fuck about rap 2 years ago.

In a 1 word answer, no. Rap is far more popular than ever. Check how many concerts get sold out now, and how many albums get sold now compared to 1992, 1994, 1996, 1999.

And rap doesn't just include mainstream music, it includes any part of hip-hop music.

Rap had its reign from 1999-2003(well...it really was 1998 with the explosion of Def Jam and Cash Money). Coincidentally those were the years when Eminem and Rap/Rock were at its prime. And also that era was fueled by the infinite 2Pac and Biggie dick riding, as well as the Jay-Z and Nas beef.
Rap had it's reign from 1998-2003?????????

Seems most of the hip-hop I still listen to is from 1992-1997. Maybe that's just me.

R&B = Hip-Hop
Hustling drugs = hip-hop
murder = hip-hop
No.

Pittsey said:
In a 1 word answer, no. Rap is far more popular than ever. Check how many concerts get sold out now, and how many albums get sold now compared to 1992, 1994, 1996, 1999.

And rap doesn't just include mainstream music, it includes any part of hip-hop music.

Rap had it's reign from 1998-2003?????????

Seems most of the hip-hop I still listen to is from 1992-1997. Maybe that's just me.

No.
:thumb:

Casey

Staff member
B-Boying should die out, lol. My sisters boyfriend who lives with us is a b-boy, he had all his b-boy mates over yesterday after some big bboy convention they stayed up all night talking loudly and watching breakdancing videos. fuckers kept me up and i couldnt sleep.

in fact me and my other housemate were making up a song a few hours ago after they left, it was a variant of Homer Simpsons "I Hate Flanders" song...

"everybody in the whole wide world/hates those stupid b-boys/their dancings shit, it's really really LAAAAAME"

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.