Hip Hop is Dead a Classic?

Chronic said:
DAMNIT, now that took long. Now kindly fuck off out of this thread Testament and Bombsquad.
That's fine, but as long as people continue to talk about Doctor's Advocate, which I introduced to this thread, then I have no choice but to kindly refuse your offer.

I'll say this in contribution to the thread. Game brought back a certain sound to the mainstream that's been missing for quite sometime with his new lp. That's enough alone to make it candidate for classic, if ever revisited in a few more years.

Hip Hop is Dead's production is too average to be considered classic, no matter how superb his lyrics are. Not too mention, this lp lacks more replay value than "I Am", which people hesitate to call classic and even has less replay value imho than Nastradamous. It's not like Nas doesn't bring superb lyrics and content on every and any of his lp's anyway, so what makes this so special? If that's the case all of his lp's might as well be considered classics.

That's all I'll say. If the DA talk doesn't end from the members on here, then I'll have to continue to contribute with my stance. Until then, I'm out of here.

Jeremy

Considering Nas last double album I love this album. I think it could be a classic over time. I really am feeling this album.

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
Doctor's Advocate is trash. Game is forgotten, I hardly hear anybody talking about the dude anymore, straight over hyped artist. He can go yell his Compton, E-eazy rattles over every track somewhere else.

linx

Staff member
Damn. I'm not saying you 2 are haters, but wtf? The Game album was very dope. The production was real good and all that. It's like i've said a million and one times before, you know what you're listening to when you put his music on. You listen to certain artists for certain reasons, so why really waste the time calling the album garbage when it's far from that? Game has been and probably will continue naming other rappers in his music, including Dre. You should know what he's about before you even attempt to listen to his music or speak about him. I'm not saying you should like him, but there's really no point in saying some non-sense when you know the deal beforehand. Feel me? Neither Game's album or Nas' are classics.

Thank you Linx. People just have the same arguments over and over without being logical. It's retarded to say Game's album isn't good or classic because he's namedropping. If you listen to Game expect him to do that. It comes with Game's package. It's a silly argument. What do you expect? That's his style. That's what's going to make him who he is and what has made him who is. People act like he wasn't namedropping on Documentary.

That argument is like saying Snoop Dogg can't have a classic or good album because he spells his name too much. Or that Jeezy can't have a good lp because he says Yeeeaaah too much, or BIG can't have a good lp or classic because he spells his name too much and has too much puffy adlibs on it. How many times does Nas say his name and his own aliases on his lps. Nas, Esco, God's Son, etc. Almost every artists has something repetitive somewhere that's part of their style. To disqualify for things like that wouldn't make sense and would make for an unfair review. Come up with better arguments.

_carmi

me, myself & us
HHID is not a classic. DA is not a classic. TBCT is not a classic. even though i tohught Snoop's TBCT has more replay value than DA and HHID. but that's MY opinion.

This thread is a fucking joke. To tocuh upon some of the points that have been made thus far... Hip Hop Is Dead is no where near a classic and the Game is wack rapper.

7 Syns

A good album? Yes,
Lacks replay value start to finish? Yes,
Has some outstanding songs? Yes,
Has some not-so-good songs? Yes,
A classic? No, oh hell no.

I mean I rate it 3.5/5 as posted in a few posts/threads concerning albums from 2006. Maybe 4/5 on days when I'm zoned out and Nas sounds like heaven. But that's far from being everyday.

This album to me sounds like Nas couldn't decide if he should stick to the Street's Disciple script or flip it back to God's Son era. The result was a mix imo. Thats not necessarily a bad thing. But it sounded slightly rushed and I believe it was considering Nas was already talking about his next album before Hip-Hop Is Dead was released.

peace.

realBOSTON said:
People need to chill….

Everyone is discussing “what constitutes a classic” or “what they personally believe a classic is”. All of that is bullshit. When you are hearing a classic album, man, you just KNOW.

agreed. When a classic is created it hits the majority like a speeding car into a brick wall. its an enormous explosion of deliciousness to the ear and it simply can't be denied.

The only albums that might have a shot of being a classic in the year 2006 imo would be

Bronze Nazareth-The Great Migration

This album has the greatest replay valu released this year.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.