Hip-hop heads: how do you feel about reggaeton?

roaches

Reggaeton's not my thing, mostly because I'm not fluent in Spanish and I don't go to clubs.

What lead (led? I'm not fluent in English anymore, either. So much for the editing papers side hustle...) me to make this post was that I've noticed a lot of hate on reggaeton that is pretty suspect:

"It all sounds the same" - most hip-hop songs are similarly monotonous when it comes to rhythm.

"It sounds like noise", "it's a fad" - Really now.

etc.

I'm not trying to condemn anyone.

I didn't realize so many people lumped dancehall and reggaeton together.

In D.C. a rock station got kicked off the dial so a reggaetone station could take their place.
El Zol doesn't just play reggaeton, though... there's plenty of reggaeton and salsa stuff, too. It's more of an all-purpose Spanish-language station a la "urban" radio.

Spanish Dancehall thats what it is. Im hispanic (Puerto Rican mixed with Mexican) and from a lyrics standpoint, they need to step up their game big time.
Assuming you understand English pretty well, how would you compare reggaeton lyrics to the lyrics from old school (late '70s to early '80s, nothing more advanced than Run-D.M.C.) hip-hop?

I always thought that speakers of Romantic languages had an unfair advantage, making things rhyme seems a lot simpler if the languages follow consistent rules.

Tito said:
Spanish Dancehall thats what it is. Im hispanic (Puerto Rican mixed with Mexican) and from a lyrics standpoint, they need to step up their game big time.
I agree

Mark Deez said:
i don't like it at all.... its not hip hop.. its.... a diwally riddim whatever the fuck that is
I disagree, I went to see technique answer questions and shit like that and someone asked him what he thought about reggeaton and he completely changed my viewpoint.

Like roaches said earlier(alwasy beating me to shit ya bastard)

Its very reminiscent of 80's hip-hop just about party and bullshit its as if the movement is starting all over again with different people. the energy is there The partying is there all we need now is concinse lyrics

P.S. Im mexican

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.