Hip-Hop for Grown People?

This is what seperates the men from the boys in my opinion. Certain artists may be nice to listen to as a teen (Canibus, Eminem, mixtape rappers) but what hip-hop artists grow with the fans? I can think of a few acts, including:

Outkast
Goodie Mob
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Common
Kanye West
Mos Def
A Tribe Called Quest
Foreign Exchange
Little Brother
DJ Quik
Jay-Z
Nas

Canibus for teens? Yeah... his old style is pretty appealing.... but listen to Rip The Jacker... if adults can't find meaning in that... then they should cut their ears off cuz they're not listening hard enough.

CalcuoCuchicheo

Little Miss Vixen
Bill G said:
Listen to Southernplayalisticadilicmuzik, ATLiens, Aquemini, Stankonia and 80% of Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.
Exactly, Outkast are one the most suitable Hip Hop acts for adults.

Their style is ever-evolving & they're one of only a few Hip Hop acts who could actually cut it in other areas of music, due to their apparent understanding of music.

Mark Deez said:
Canibus for teens? Yeah... his old style is pretty appealing.... but listen to Rip The Jacker... if adults can't find meaning in that... then they should cut their ears off cuz they're not listening hard enough.
You're not an adult yet, it's hard to understand how certain rappers seem to lose meaning as time goes by. You'd think Immortal Technique would appeal to adults because of his subjects but most of the time he doesn't.

I don't know, man. I can kind've see what you're saying. But i'm not yet a full grown man (in age) and i love all those artists (except Mos and Nas) and feel i can fully appreciate their music. Then again, i consider myself pretty aware, mature and experienced for my age. You are right in a way, though. I mean, obviously some 14 year old kid who has never left the nice suburbs and has grown up in a perfect family, etc. is not going to be able to fully appreciate, for example, "Soul Food".

Correct me if I'm wrong Bill G, but I thought the topic was Hip Hop acts that make music which adults can relate to & enjoy - this doesn't necessarily mean that a non-adult can't enjoy.

Just pointing that out for those defending their right to like the listed acts.

CalcuoCuchicheo said:
Correct me if I'm wrong Bill G, but I thought the topic was Hip Hop acts that make music which adults can relate to & enjoy - this doesn't necessarily mean that a non-adult can't enjoy.

Just pointing that out for those defending their right to like the listed acts.
Exactly. This isn't about hip-hop just for adults (a very loose term), it's about hip-hop that adults can enjoy and relate too.

This isn't about hip-hop just for adults (a very loose term), it's about hip-hop that adults can enjoy and relate too.
If the point of the thread was just to list artists that adults can enjoy (which is just about every artist that ever existed), that's a pretty lame thread. I think the topic that others and I mistook it for is far more interesting, and encourages a lot more discussion. That's just me, though.

aloivas said:
If the point of the thread was just to list artists that adults can enjoy (which is just about every artist that ever existed), that's a pretty lame thread. I think the topic that others and I mistook it for is far more interesting, and encourages a lot more discussion. That's just me, though.
Actually it was to discuss what makes these artists more appealing to adults and why we feel them more. That was the point of the thread. :rolleyes:

What does everyone feel about me not listing Talib Kweli as adult hip-hop?

He appeals to me but his music (probably down to his energetic flow and rhyme structure) doesn't have the same essence of maturity something by Common might have. His lyrics definately have the appeal but sonically he doesn't quite make it. Could this be the reason he is overshadowed by Mos Def?

lol. Well you didn't ask for that in your original post, or hint towards it in any of your other 6 posts in the thread.

You asked:
what hip-hop artists grow with the fans?
and then went on to list 12 artists you like. IE: Typical list thread which dominates this forum.

The idea that I and others were getting at was more like "are there any artists whose music sounds better when heard through more mature or experienced ears?".

You and another then hinted that this was not what you expected when you made the thread, and that you just wanted people to list rappers that adults can enjoy.

See the difference?

EDIT; that's in reply to your post above.

aloivas said:
lol. Well you didn't ask for that in your original post, or hint towards it in any of your other 6 posts in the thread.

You asked:

and then went on to list 12 artists you like. IE: Typical list thread which dominates this forum.

The idea that I and others were getting at was more like "are there any artists whose music sounds better when heard through more mature or experienced ears?".

You and another then hinted that this was not what you expected when you made the thread, and that you just wanted people to list rappers that adults can enjoy.

See the difference?

EDIT; that's in reply to your post above.
If I wanted a list don't think would have asked for mercy after 5-6 posts without one? Regarless I have quashed your theory. Was it really an issue after I explained?

Bill G said:
This is what seperates the men from the boys in my opinion. Certain artists may be nice to listen to as a teen (Canibus, Eminem, mixtape rappers) but what hip-hop artists grow with the fans? I can think of a few acts, including:

Outkast
Goodie Mob
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Common
Kanye West
Mos Def
A Tribe Called Quest
Foreign Exchange
Little Brother
DJ Quik
Jay-Z
Nas

You mean music about Love? What about music from rappers when they criticise hip-hop? Most kids don't understand how badly they are being lied to...You think that is adult hip-hop?

conscious hip-hop= adult hip-hop?

And BTW Kanye west doesn't exactly make music for grown ups...Yeah he did Jesus Walks... :rolleyes: That's really all in my opinion..Maybe his production work as MUSIC does but than it is still up to the emcee...what to do with it..

im bored said:
You mean music about Love? What about music from rappers when they criticise hip-hop? Most kids don't understand how badly they are being lied to...You think that is adult hip-hop?

conscious hip-hop= adult hip-hop?

And BTW Kanye west doesn't exactly make music for grown ups...Yeah he did Jesus Walks... :rolleyes: That's really all in my opinion..Maybe his production work as MUSIC does but than it is still up to the emcee...what to do with it..
Like I said before, Immortal Technique deals with very mature issues but I'd never catagorise him as adult hip-hop. Grown hip-hop doesn't necessarily have to be conscious or love orientated. The difference is usually how songs are written, how subjects are approached and handled and production probably has alot to do with it.

Kanye West's writing is usually catered to younger people but his subjects deal with issues adults will relate to more than most teenagers.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.