Has Snoop Fallen Off?

Has Snoop Dogg fallin off and sold out?

• Yes: Snoop sold out years ago

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No: Stop hatin', dude got talent and is makin' cash

• He did fall off, but I don't care, I still like him

• What's your definition of "selling out"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A post that Crunkadelic made in another thread in response to me has inspired the thread you're now reading.

I am one of the many people who say Snoop Dogg has fallen off big time. I mean, dude has released 7 albums in 13 years. ONLY ONE of those albums can be considered a classic or even above 3.5 mics IMO of course. The other 2 songs, "Tha Doggfather" and "Tha Last Meal" were decent efforts, but not for someone who kind of made himself a legend almost pretty much before his solo dropped. The latter 2 albums are no better than about 2.25 mics and 3 mics respectively.

Not even Snoop's lyrics are good anymore. Want proof? OK, compare these lyrical samples from Snoop:

Pump Pump (Off Doggystyle:circa 1992):
Let the motion of your body be the key, cuz we
be the motherfuckin G Funk family
Now, I'll play the G in this deadly game
Snoop Dogg is the name Dogg Pound's the gang
If it ain't one thing it's a motherfuckin other
Word to my granny and my daddy, and my mother
Whether standin on the corner, or bouncin in the six-deuce
When I was locked up, I couldn't wait to get loose
Cuz back in the days, on the side where it's at
A nigga had to have a fat stack
COMPARED TO:

Gin & Juice 2 (Off Da Game...: circa 1998):
I'm still smokin', driftin', swifta than a mothafucka
Twisted off a cup of that 'ole ignat juice
Heated in the seat cup fulla drank
Beatin' up the block in the dark blue tank
Bullet proof vest on my chest for the cause
Diggin' in my draws for dem muthafuckin' laws
Harrassin' a nigga, blastin' a nigga
I ain't seen shit, so why you askin' nigga
To fucked up off that G-I and juice,
C-I get loose, nigga what chall wanna do
I got a crew, but I choose to roll solo
Especially on Sundays dippin' in my low-low
Gin & Juice (Doggystyle):
Now, that, I got me some Seagram's gin
Everybody got they cups, but they ain't chipped in
Now this types of shit, happens all the time
You got to get yours but fool I gotta get mine
Everything is fine when you listenin to the D-O-G
I got the cultivating music that be captivating he
who listens, to the words that I speak
As I take me a drink to the middle of the street
and get to mackin to this bitch named Sadie (Sadie?)
She used to be the homeboy's lady (Oh, that bitch)
Eighty degrees, when I tell that bitch please
COMPARED TO:

Snoopafella (Off No Limit, Top Dogg):
Once upon a time, in the L.B.C.
On the Eastside, off of 2-1 Street
There lived a young man, Cinderfella's his name
To make it interesting it's me, peep game
I lived in a house with my cruel step-dad
And two step-brothers who treated me bad
I cooked, I cleaned, I scrubbed the floors
And I was like an errand boy runnin to the stores
My brothers, they used to boast and brag:
"We've got Fubu, and you've got rags!"
Now, I could give many more examples, but I believe these are ample enough. This is just the start of Snoop falling off. Poor lyricism and poor production was the start of it. Then...Snoop started falling off in just about any way you can think of.

So anyway, I use these examples to start off my support as to why/how Snoop has sold out/fallen off. I will gladly post more things if anyone asks.

In the meantime, please, let me know. Do you think Snoop has fallen off or am I just hatin'? Also, folks, for those people out there like Crunkadelic who probably will use whatever excuse necessary to try to deny that their favorite artist has fallen off, if you're going to say Snoop has sold out and fallen off, please post a good amount of support and such.

And please, don't respond with stupid shit like "Snoop fell off cuz he never did do any good, he sucks and is a fag".

I'm hoping for some thoughtful posts here.

linx

Staff member
I really like Doggystyle, but I don't like any of his other shit. Honestly, I can't stand Snoop now. I probably hate him more than any other rapper.

Jeremy

He did fall off, but I don't care, I still like him

I respect him but his music went in the wrong direction. His old stuff I like tho.

haunted said:
All those lyrics you posted sucked. Snoop always sucked he just had good beats, and now he has whack beats.
His lyrics from Doggystyle are on point. None of them suck from that album.

But, I'm glad you said that because my whole point is that LYRICALLY, anything after Doggystyle, or virtually anything (there's ALWAYS an exception to ANY RULE) he has written is complete and utter shit.

Thanks for putting my point out there in Leymans Terms.

You said "those lyrics you posted sucked". Uh...didn't you read the point of the post? I agree with you. I think 95% of the stuff he did post-Doggystyle is complete shit, so thanks for agreeing. :thumb:

Linx:
I really like Doggystyle, but I don't like any of his other shit. Honestly, I can't stand Snoop now. I probably hate him more than any other rapper.
:thumb: Make that 2 :thumb: . I agree completely, though there are a lot of rappers I hate over Snoop, including Biggie, Puffy, Mobb Deep, Puffy, Ja Rule, 50 Cent, Puffy, and a few other, oh...Lil Jon definately and his faggots the YY Twins and Eastside Boyz.

Imagine those days when Snoop was rapping with Dre in the back yard of someones house on Nuthin But A G Thang , now he's rapping about Wimbledon tennis arena in a video with Justin Timberlake, yes i know time has moved on, but Snoop has also moved on - moved on from rap and gone pop.

freshprince said:
His lyrics from Doggystyle are on point. None of them suck from that album.

But, I'm glad you said that because my whole point is that LYRICALLY, anything after Doggystyle, or virtually anything (there's ALWAYS an exception to ANY RULE) he has written is complete and utter shit.

Thanks for putting my point out there in Leymans Terms.

You said "those lyrics you posted sucked". Uh...didn't you read the point of the post? I agree with you. I think 95% of the stuff he did post-Doggystyle is complete shit, so thanks for agreeing. :thumb:
God damnit shut up jason.

His lyrics have always sucked even on Doggystyle. Seeing that you posted mostly doggystyle lyrics i thought you would have understood.

he's cool in general not the same as he was back in the day but at the same time he wasnt the greatest imo then.

anyways fallen off yes he had his hit and his time but now he cant compete now rap isnt what it was back then.

In regards to selling out no I don't believe that one bit.

yeah snoop fell off, he made some classic song back in the day like gin and juice and doggy dog world and nuthing but a g thing with dre was a classic, now he sucks ass and makes songs like signs with justin timberlake, yes that's falling off.

Kevsta2004 said:
Has Snoop Fallen Off?

You've only just noticed :eek:
LMAO. No I'm not just now noticing. Read my initial post. This thread was only made in response to some other dude, I think his name was Crunkadelic or something telling me that Snoop has not fallen off or sold out, when he's done both.

Fallen off = Not making or producing the same music with the same heart and soul that you previously did. Also, losing some credibility in you're genre and basically "going soft".

Selling out = people who will do something merely because they're getting paid, rather than because they actually dig the product or whatever they're sellin.

Snoop doing a laundry commercial and a commercial for AOL is selling out, because it's something he wouldn't have done 10 years ago.

What gets me with Snoop though, is that he's already a multi-millionaire. He's made his hella cash, so unless he is more strapped financially than we'd think, I don't get why he's doing stuff just for the money.

C:
im pretty sure theres a difference between sellin pout and falling of.
There is, and I covered that already. And Snoop has done both, fallen off and sold out.

haunted:
God damnit shut up jason.
God damn...number one, why are people so fucking nasty around here. I mean, I'm seeing people constantly telling others to shut up and shit, and not just to me. To others.

And if you think the lyrics on Doggystyle suck, that's fine. I disagree. You said "since you posted so many lyrics I thought you'd have noticed that". Well, that was my point, genius. You're quick, huh? If you go back to that initial post and actually read it, you realize that my whole point of this thread is that Snoop fell off pretty much immediately after Doggystyle in all aspects. I was using lyrics as one aspect. Notice how I was comparing various verses from Doggystyle to various verses from songs after that album? Yeah, that was the point, to show that Doggystyle is lyrically his best album as well.

If you think Doggystyle is lyrically weak, that's fine. I disagree. Neither of us are more right than the other though.

Pacaveli T:
In regards to selling out no I don't believe that one bit.
Alight Pacaveli. Finally, someone who doesn't think I'm someone I'm not, and someone that doesn't just scream "shut up" if you don't like their opinion.

OK, so lets debate this like 2 adults. How can you possibly say he hasn't sold out? Doing commercials for shit like T-Mobile Sidekick, AOL and some laundry commercial (still can't remember what kind) when you're Snoop Dogg is selling out. Selling out is when you're doing something first and foremost for the money, rather than because you really like the product. That is something Snoop has been doing. Another thing is his inability to decide what he is in life. One minute he's a family man, the next he's talking about crippin' through LA. One second he's saying he's not beefing anymore, then he releases a diss song on Suge Knight. Just a couple years ago, he was in a frickin' Mariah Carey video or some shit. And to top all that shit off, now he's doing shit with Justin Timberlake? I mean, don't get me wrong, Justin has a good voice, but he's trying to be Michael Jackson. I'm hoping that Justin grows up in the next couple years and becomes a legitimate singer, because he has the ability to be the next Usher and shit.

2PAC4LIVE2006:
yeah snoop fell off, he made some classic song back in the day like gin and juice and doggy dog world and nuthing but a g thing with dre was a classic, now he sucks ass and makes songs like signs with justin timberlake, yes that's falling off.
Hallelujah! I see ya on that and I raise you Snoop financially fucking over Goldie Loc and Tray Deee the same way Suge fucked Pac and Snoop, and Dre as well.

freshprince said:
Alight Pacaveli. Finally, someone who doesn't think I'm someone I'm not, and someone that doesn't just scream "shut up" if you don't like their opinion.

OK, so lets debate this like 2 adults. How can you possibly say he hasn't sold out? Doing commercials for shit like T-Mobile Sidekick, AOL and some laundry commercial (still can't remember what kind) when you're Snoop Dogg is selling out. Selling out is when you're doing something first and foremost for the money, rather than because you really like the product. That is something Snoop has been doing. Another thing is his inability to decide what he is in life. One minute he's a family man, the next he's talking about crippin' through LA. One second he's saying he's not beefing anymore, then he releases a diss song on Suge Knight. Just a couple years ago, he was in a frickin' Mariah Carey video or some shit. And to top all that shit off, now he's doing shit with Justin Timberlake? I mean, don't get me wrong, Justin has a good voice, but he's trying to be Michael Jackson. I'm hoping that Justin grows up in the next couple years and becomes a legitimate singer, because he has the ability to be the next Usher and shit.

yea i dont tend to do those stupidities with shut up and all its a matter of opinion so no worries. :thumb:

I totally get your prespective on selling out that is one of the meaning for it really.

as far as usher plz dont mock him i like him :( i know its like the ultimate sin but still :(

as for teaming up with JT ok personally I don't like the guy but just because he teams up with him doesnt make him less of an artist or anything its a collab and JT seems to me that nothing is wrong with that Timberland did one with him in "cry me a river" didn't make him a sell out. but thats just my opinion.

as far as the family man thing to be honest i never really believed all that he just is a boy trapped in a man's body he still has the punk kid in him with crippin and stuff thats just his "roots" i guess ressurfacing for a comeback :rolleyes:

I'm guessing he did all these changes for the sake of music to get many fans back and respect if they liked him oldschool he tried to keep it "gangster" if he wanted respect he tried to be a "good honest rapper trying to provide for his family" those things are more facades then anything.

The dissing thing is to get more hype for him and try to get his music back up in multiple attempts though in my eyes he still is failing I think its a shame regardless its obvious he doesnt want his career to end but he should throw in the towel.

Commercials I think he's doing them mostly cause rappers are doing a lot of that now and its more publicity to get recongnized again more than anything. Not necessarily selling out to me.

anyways its what I have to say I'm keeping this as a simple explaination because beefing over this is just as immature as saying shut up to someone for not agreeing with them.

Now I'm hoping ppl won't bust my ass over this post because its an opinion doesn't go beyond that you can like it as much as you cannot so plz don't break a sweat over it.

I wanna hear snoop get back to that G shit. Kurupt's Space Boogie track with Snoop says it all, "Bring Back That G Shit", that's what Snoop needs to do, not some pop/hip-hop tracks like Beautiful, Signs!, and all the other shit Snoop is doing to stay in the game. Snoop was the first artist that really got me into listening to rap but I compare him then and now and it's dissappointing, I know he has a new fan base, but even "Drop It Like It's Hot" didn't have that Gangsta flavor, it was a cool, catchy song with a trippy beat, but it just wasn't hard. I know Snoop can still rock the mic if he gets on his game but his recent albums have made me give up on Snoop as a lyricist and as an all around dope ass artist.

freshprince said:
A post that Crunkadelic made in another thread in response to me has inspired the thread you're now reading.

In the meantime, please, let me know. Do you think Snoop has fallen off or am I just hatin'? Also, folks, for those people out there like Crunkadelic who probably will use whatever excuse necessary to try to deny that their favorite artist has fallen off, if you're going to say Snoop has sold out and fallen off, please post a good amount of support and such.

I'm hoping for some thoughtful posts here.

freshprince said:
This thread was only made in response to some other dude, I think his name was Crunkadelic or something telling me that Snoop has not fallen off or sold out, when he's done both.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is truely, without a shadow of a doubt, pathetic. You are on my dick so hard it aint even funny - I mean, I really cant even post a smilie and laugh out loud. All I can do is shake my fuckin head.

Listen....on that other thread (you know that one that saids something like "Snoop Wants To Help Suge") you COMPLETELY misunderstood what the fuck I said to you. I told you on that thread that you had it twisted and you evidentally you do.

The topic of that thread about Snoop doing something positive like squashing beef, restoring the West coast, and even wanting to hel Suge out. Everybody else who replied addressed the topic at hand....until you had to post some bullshit about how you didn't like Snoop, how Doggystyle was his only good album, how he fell off, how he sold out, etc etc - which had absolutely NOTHING to do with the topic. I merely brought that to your attention and I WASNT even debating about whether Snoop fell off, or sold out or not (hey, thats on you)....and then you had the nerve to called me a diehard fan of Snoop. WTF? Snoop is doing something postive and you can even give him props, but all you wanna do is express your dislike for him like his music really affects your daily life or something. That pathetic.

Look, instead of dissing Snoop and talkin about how he no longer makes good music, you should learn from him and just grow up.

I surely hope I inspired you to shut the fuck up now.

Kadafi Son

gobnik said:
I wanna hear snoop get back to that G shit. Kurupt's Space Boogie track with Snoop says it all, "Bring Back That G Shit", that's what Snoop needs to do, not some pop/hip-hop tracks like Beautiful, Signs!, and all the other shit Snoop is doing to stay in the game. Snoop was the first artist that really got me into listening to rap but I compare him then and now and it's dissappointing, I know he has a new fan base, but even "Drop It Like It's Hot" didn't have that Gangsta flavor, it was a cool, catchy song with a trippy beat, but it just wasn't hard. I know Snoop can still rock the mic if he gets on his game but his recent albums have made me give up on Snoop as a lyricist and as an all around dope ass artist.
I agree

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.