• Shady-Aftermath

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CashMoney

• Bad Boy

• Total voters
fields316_2000 said:
Who in your opinion had the greatest run as a record label? This includes most popular artist, record sales and quality music.
thism shouldn't even be a poll.(you didn't even include them)
Def Jam
first rap record label

Death Row put out Chronic, Doggystyle, Dogg Food, and All Eyez On Me, DK7, and I think Doggfather all in their heyday. I know that Chronic and Doggystyle both sold like 3 mil apiece while AEOM put out 6 mil and DK7 did like 3 mil. I dunno about Dogg Food and Doggfather, but they sold somewhere in the millions I assume.

No Limit put out
Master P - Ghetto's Trying To Kill Me (1994)
Master P - 99 Ways to Die (1995)
Master P - Ice Cream Man (1996)
Master P - Ghetto D (1997)
Mystikal - Mind of Mystikal (1996)
Mystikal - Unpredictable (1997)
Mystikal - Ghetto Fabulous (1998)
Snoop Dogg - Da Game is to be Sold Not Told (1998)
Snoop Dogg - No Limit Top Dogg (1999)
Snoop Dogg Presents Tha Eastsidaz (2000)
Snoop Dogg - Tha Last Meal (2000)
Eastsidaz - Duces 'N Trayz: The Old Fashioned Way (Jul. 2001)

I dunno the years for the rest of these:
C-Murder - Life or Death
C-Murder - Trapped in Crime
Mia X - Mama Drama
Silkk The Shocker - Charge It 2 Da Game
Silkk The Shocker - Made Man

I don't even know the rest that they released in their heyday, but each of these went platinum. No Limit made more dough than any label within a five year span. Of course Death Row put out classic shit that can never be forgotten (maybe Doggfather), but the figures for No Limit probably far outweigh the figures for DR, which is why NL should be on that list, but whatever.

Death Row off that list because we dunno how long Shady/Aftermath is gonna go and we know that Bad Boy is just a name Diddy keeps throwing around for the little bit of promotion he can get.

Cash Money is fucking crazy. No consitancy in their beefs man, so I dunno if Juve is with them, or if he's in jail, or if he's beefing and is with B.G. and Turk went somewhere off the map.
Murder Inc only had 2 artists that actually sold.

Roc-a-fella really only has had one guy selling their shit, and that's Jay. Of course they've got that singer, Memph and Kanye with them along with the Young Gunz, but they're just recent and, like Shady/Aftermath, we dunno where they're gonna end.

Death Row :thumb:

AmerikazMost

To be the greatest, you must great artists with great talent who put out great music, sell a lot of albums, and make a lot of news. With that being said, it has to be Death Row.

ARon

Sony Colombia Atlantic and so on are the true most powerful rap labels/labels period, but for the sake of this stick with hip-hop right.

Well you figure people will say whatever label Tupac was signed too, even if it was Slip n Slide or something, people would say them of course, quite pathetic.

Def Jam, pay respect kids.

Get In The Van I Have Candy said:
Has to be without a doubt Def Jam. Death Row is out of business while Def Jam is still going strong. 1984 - still going.
My thoughts exactly.

I can't convey how surprised I was not to see Def Jam on the list.

Edit: So I see some people mentioning Rawkus. If the independent scene is going to be represented Koch & Def Jux would have to have their hats thrown into the ring.

TCD

I don't see how it can't be Def Jam, even in the Interscope dominated charts they are still going strong.

And sales wise hasn't the whole Interscope sold twice as much as deathrow did?

TCD said:
I don't see how it can't be Def Jam, even in the Interscope dominated charts they are still going strong.

And sales wise hasn't the whole Interscope sold twice as much as deathrow did?
Death Row was under Interscope, so any sales the Row made goes to Interscope's overall sales.

Remember that Interscope don't only deal in rap, they have all sorts of labels under their umbrella.

out of all those death row but this poll was biased there were so many other labels out there that are great and shoulda been included in this poll.

personally i know why some picked deathrow and specially this is a pac board makes it so much more obvious.
i simply chose it cause bad boy i dont like what diddy did to the label, i dont like shady,murda (which isnt the name anymore by the way) lost a lot of rappers, and on top of that they werent of all the same era so music tastes varied increadibly thats why its hard to not chose it cause some ppl i hate to use this word are either dickryders and some tastes arent linked to that.anyways thats my 2 cents.

DEATH ROW! Although it is clear that there is a bias toward them, give credit where it's due. Although it all ended in 1997, it was a good run. All of their albums in that time were multiplatinum. They were surrounded by so much controversy and feared by so many people. They made headlines not just in rap news, but in regular news. They were home to the biggest rapper and best producer in history. Although some other companies might have lasted longer or have been around earlier or put out more albums, nobody did it like Death Row, it was groundbreaking they way they stormed onto the hip-hop scene. Pac said it simply yet accurately in this interview with Bill Bellamy where he said:

"Mark my words, Death Row is a force to be reckoned with in this business. I promise you. No artist will outsell us. Nobody will touch us in the music business. Ain't nobody hard as us, ain't nobody real as us, ain't nobody us."

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.