Grammy Noms

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
For me, pop as a distinct genre happens when all the elements of a kind of music are manufactured outside of their natural habitat.

Lupe Fiasco and B.O.B.'s early stuff is unquestionably hip-hop. "The Show Goes On" and "Airplanes," songs whose existence was clearly ordered from on high, are pop. Are they hip-hop? The same way that a Cadillac EXT is a truck, I guess.

But then, how do we treat something like Lil Wayne's "Lollipop" or Outkast's "Ms. Jackson"? They're major parts of the pop landscape, but no A&R or major label exec could have invented them. What about the entire existence of Drake?

And that's why clique discussions are stupid.
But the discussion was inspired by Grammy nominations.... So....

Where do they fit within the Pop award nominations?

I look at it simply as pop = popular music. It isn't a genre or a clique. It's a statement based on sales.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
oh? for the sake of the grammys? i don't know, awards shows and trophies bore me.
Me too.

But I am able to take 1 minute of my day to form an opinion and write a 2 lined response. I haven't seen the Grammys. I just wanted to point out that the acts that people like are actually in the pop category. And that it is a hit to their "coolness" for whatever reason.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.