Game "I Leaked my album"

Game: "I Leaked My Album"

The mystery surrounding the cause of recent leaks of the Game's new album, Doctor's Advocate, has been solved, thanks to the rapper himself.

The Game, real name Jayceon Taylor, admitted to releasing a clean version of his upcoming release in an overt strategic move.

"I already leaked my album," Game revealed to AllHipHop.com. "I already leaked my s**t so n***as know what it is now. All they got to wait for is the dirty version."

While leaked albums are an unexpected occurrence for most artists, Game said his actions fall in line with a successful routine from past experience.

"People just don't remember last time," said the Compton rhymesayer. " The Documentary, me and Jimmy [Rosemond] did it at the same time. He leaked it out his way [the East Coast] and I leaked it out mine and it found its way out in the middle. But, The Documentary was leaked on Jan. 2 and my album came out on the 18th."

The Game likened the practice to an illegal practice that creates trust between the supplier and the demander.

"You gotta do that. You gotta give people a sample," said the rapper, who compared the process to an interesting trade. "It's like selling crack in the 'hood, man. Anybody that ever sold drugs in the hood knows you gotta give a n***a a taste before they buy.

"I leaked The Documentary the same time last year that I did this album," Game continued. "I got a formula. I know what to do. They know what it is, people hear the joints is classic and you ain't gonna hear s**t that you don't like."

Album leaks are not a new phenomenon for artists, who have seen and adverse affect on sales.

This year has seen albums from Lupe Fiasco, the Roots and Pharrell pushed back due to unauthorized leaks.

Most recently, Def Jam Records entertained the idea of investigating how tracks were leaked from Jay-Z's forthcoming album, Kingdom Come.

Whether the leak will ultimately hurt or boost Game's sales remains to be seen, but if the past is an indication, it could be fruitful.

The Documentary sold over 600,000 units in its first week and went on to sell over 5 million copies.

Game is confident he will come out on top and he dished out some cautionary advice for his peers.

"I leaked the clean version. That's what it is," he said. "Maybe n***as should copy off me, man, but then I'mma notice they copying and then I'm going to smash them. So, they might not want to do that."

Doctor's Advocate hits stores on November 14.

KO

risky strategy, I think his album will sell well though, I cant see it hitting 600k first week again though, Like has already been said many times on this board, the emergence of ITunes and shit like that has really hurt the record industry bad, I still think he will push upwards of 400k in his first week though, and 400k nowadays is probably the equivalent of like 800k from say like 5,6 years ago. remember when Eminem dropped his album and it sold somethin crazy like 1.7 million copies in the first week? those days are long gone.

It is a risky strategy, but i understand it... i can't see a rap fan being satisified with the clean version of an album. but yeah record sales like you said KO have just gone up and down (mostly down) the past few years...

Jay-Z said every 150 grand you made on CD profits years back is only like 60 grand nowadays.. so the landscape for album sales have definitely changed.

I'll be at the stores on the 14th to support this CD i've liked the few songs i've allowed myself to listen to so far (dont want to listen to it all) but yeah i think Game's goal for 5 million is unrealistic now.

stefanwzyga

Yep we already have the dirty version. Leaking any album is a dumb move imo. There are to many cheap folks out there who dont work for a living so aint got £10 to pay for an album, but have got computer access. Leak a few songs from the album would obviously be a smart move(if there hot songs)

i hardly buy any mainstream albums, but imma cop this one just cuz i wanna hear it in it's entirety

i wouldn't leak shit tho, i'd make er'body buy my shit

While this may send this thread into a tangent, what are things that will actually encourage people to buy albums nowadays? For me personally, I still buy albums from time to time, but what really encourages me to pick up an album that I may or may not have already downloaded is if there is something special included with the album, whether it's a bonus DVD (like The Eminem Show, D12 World, The Documentary, etc.) or a bonus CD or exclusive bonus tracks (like Illmatic 10 Year Anniversary Edition, God's Son, Full Circle, etc.). What can artists do nowadays to get people to buy their shit rather than just be happy with the downloaded album?

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
^probably from just the effect of showin support to the artist. thats fucked one thing that would realy encourage u is somethin included thats Bonus. these are these peoples careers

too much good & bad goin around

EDouble said:
^probably from just the effect of showin support to the artist. thats fucked one thing that would realy encourage u is somethin included thats Bonus. these are these peoples careers
I'm not saying that the bonus is the ONLY thing that gets me to buy an album; I'm saying it was one thing that further encourages me to buy albums. I guarantee I have more actual rap albums (not CD-Rs) than 80% of everyone on this board. But my question still stands, as it pertains to the general public. I think that those bonuses are, unfortunately, almost necessary nowadays. Like if DVDs didn't come with any cool features or behind-the-scenes stuff, people would just download DVD rips or the DIVX videos of movies rather than buy the DVDs. So that's why DVDs are feature-packed, and maybe albums should start coming out with additional stuff, whether it's some bonus feature on the disc itself or whatever.

And yes, we are dealing with people's careers, but a good 90% of rappers who put out albums still live a lot better than me. While I'm all for rappers making money, I don't really want to hear them bitch about losing sales due to internet downloading. Oh no, so they went gold but not platinum. I guess they're going to have to settle for a Mercedes SL550 instead of the fully-loaded SL65 AMG that they wanted :rolleyes: I think that today's rappers should use the threat of filesharing (which was inevitable as technology progresses) as further incentive to make better music and an overall more satisfying product.

AmerikazMost

i like the fact that i can hear albums before i buy them. i end up buying some albums that i probably wouldn't have (The B.Coming) and won't buy some albums that I probably would have (Pac's Life)

in the end, quality albums aren't affected by their ability on the internet for me. i buy good shit. i support good endeavors in hopes that more will come.

xxx

^ i agree. I actually really get pumped and enjoy buying albums when i know i love 75-100 percent of the album for me...

For example: i bought all of these this year

DMX - year of the dog again... its very close to going on ebay
Ghostface - Fishscale... too much talking, too many skits, and short songs, went on ebay right away
Busta Rhymes - Big Bang...like most of it, but it may get the cut soon... cant really enjoy the pop stuff on it...
Ice Cube's new one... own every cube anyway, but still enjoyed all of it except for most of lil jon on it...

and

Game - DA - only a song or two that i dont really feel too much... i will be surprised if i dont own this cd for the rest of my life (after it comes out) (i own probably only 100 rap albums)

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
DeeezNuuuts83 said:
I'm not saying that the bonus is the ONLY thing that gets me to buy an album; I'm saying it was one thing that further encourages me to buy albums. I guarantee I have more actual rap albums (not CD-Rs) than 80% of everyone on this board. But my question still stands, as it pertains to the general public. I think that those bonuses are, unfortunately, almost necessary nowadays. Like if DVDs didn't come with any cool features or behind-the-scenes stuff, people would just download DVD rips or the DIVX videos of movies rather than buy the DVDs. So that's why DVDs are feature-packed, and maybe albums should start coming out with additional stuff, whether it's some bonus feature on the disc itself or whatever.

And yes, we are dealing with people's careers, but a good 90% of rappers who put out albums still live a lot better than me. While I'm all for rappers making money, I don't really want to hear them bitch about losing sales due to internet downloading. Oh no, so they went gold but not platinum. I guess they're going to have to settle for a Mercedes SL550 instead of the fully-loaded SL65 AMG that they wanted :rolleyes: I think that today's rappers should use the threat of filesharing (which was inevitable as technology progresses) as further incentive to make better music and an overall more satisfying product.
thats bullshit. its not about comin with Better music or more Satisfying product main people that cop albums on the net do so all the time, & its not like most of the folks are lookin up amazon to see if its bein released with some bonus material or some shit. etc

majority of DVDs would sell just as well if all the bonus shit wasnt included most people that get DVDs buy em and buy em for use on personal system or anywhyere else. only a minority go on the net to download dvds lot more people do so with albums

and why is this some argument about 'youre a rapper you dont realy need this extra sell" or this extra sales that would make a difference between Gold and Platinum. most 'rappers make the same as u and I only certain percent would be sellin gold or platinum consistently, most of these and i would think about all the Platinum ones at least - are major label releases- sothat particular rapper in a few months time might Only have that mercedes or amg to show for himself

I've never really fully understood leaking a whole album on purpose.. Like another post said, i could see leaking maybe 3-4 songs to put on mixtapes plus the 1 or 2 singles obviously but the whole album? I'll be honest, i DL alot of shit.. and if albums DIDNT fully leak a few weeks before the release I probaly would end up buying more albums then what i do now.

If I download an album and its ass, I erase it.. Back before i had a computer I would just buy the shit and if its bad, just take the 15 dollar loss and say fuck it.

PuffnScruff

lol yeah he leaked the clean version after he saw the dirty was already on the net. is there even a clean version of it out there? the game cracks me up

EDouble said:
thats bullshit. its not about comin with Better music or more Satisfying product main people that cop albums on the net do so all the time, & its not like most of the folks are lookin up amazon to see if its bein released with some bonus material or some shit. etc
Yes, it is about coming with better music. There will always be people in this day and age who will download an album whether or not it's garbage or it's the greatest album they've ever heard, but there are people (myself included) who will buy an album if it's just that good, even if they already have it on their computer. True, people don't necessarily look up on amazon to see if it has extra stuff, but usually in press releases or in your weekly Best Buy/Circuit City/etc. ads that EVERYBODY looks through on Sunday mornings, there might be this little box next to the CD saying "includes limited edition bonus DVD" or "Best Buy exclusive CD with bonus unreleased tracks." You can't deny that either of these things--better quality music and bonus materials--will garner greater sales, no matter how small or large the difference. There will always be someone who likes the artist and might have already downloaded the album, but they want that DVD or bonus CD.
EDouble said:
majority of DVDs would sell just as well if all the bonus shit wasnt included most people that get DVDs buy em and buy em for use on personal system or anywhyere else. only a minority go on the net to download dvds lot more people do so with albums
That's not necessarily true. You'd be surprised at how many regular people nowadays have the capability of downloading or burning entire movies. Plus there is the crowd that goes out and buys pirated DVDs for really cheap. A lot of my family members have tons of burned DVDs, and the only real ones they have are ones that I might have bought them for Christmas or something. And my family isn't the only one like that. But the bonus stuff on DVDs boosts sales. Just look at X-Men III. They have the regular version, the box set (with all three movies), and some collector's edition with another disc and another one with an exclusive X-Men comic. All for the purpose of sales because they know that sometimes just the bare-bones DVD won't cut it, so they have to throw in some extra stuff.
EDouble said:
and why is this some argument about 'youre a rapper you dont realy need this extra sell" or this extra sales that would make a difference between Gold and Platinum. most 'rappers make the same as u and I only certain percent would be sellin gold or platinum consistently, most of these and i would think about all the Platinum ones at least - are major label releases- sothat particular rapper in a few months time might Only have that mercedes or amg to show for himself
I'm not saying that rappers don't need extra sales. If you re-read my post, I said I was all for rappers making their money and selling a bunch of albums. What I was saying was that I hate it when artists whine and complain about their shit being downloaded, especially if it occurs ahead of time. One, if an album leaks more than a month ahead of its release, then somebody from that person's camp is being dishonest and giving the shit out (like in Tyrese's case), and that's their fault. Two, in this day and age, filesharing is just so widespread, and while it's not fair, they just have to put up with it and keep taking it in the ass or take measures to try to overcome some of those people and give them a reason to buy your album anyway, despite it being a 10-minute download away from owning. And the rappers I was referring to are the ones who put out albums, as I said in my original post. I know that there are a lot of talented, struggling rappers who don't make much money, but obviously I wasn't talking about them.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.