forgotten classics

7 Syns

Ive got a couple off the dome top.

jeru da damaja: the sun rises in the east.
dj quik: safe & sound.
eric b & rakim: follow the leader.
main source: breaking atoms.
o.c.: word.. life.
cmw: music to drive-by.
the pharcyde: bizarre ride II the pharcyde.
kool g rap & dj polo: wanted: dead or alive.
ultramagnetic mc's: critical beatdown.

there's more, im sure of. But I think these records are overlooked and to an extent forgotten.

peace.

Sticky Fingaz - Autobiography of Kirk Jones
AZ - 9 Lives
Killah Priest - Heavy Mental
Killah Priest - Priesthood
Killah Priest - Black August
Killah Priest - Black August Revisited
(I like Wu-Tang alot)
Brand Nubian - Foundation
Kool Keith's Dr. Octagon album
J-Live - The Best Part
J-Live - All of the Above
Organized Konfusion - Organized Konfusion

That's all I can think of for now

AZ has no classic albums
and a lot of these albums mentioned are far from classic.. just because you like it alot and not many other people do, doesn't make it a 'forgotten classic'

chief_Rocka said:
AZ has no classic albums
and a lot of these albums mentioned are far from classic.. just because you like it alot and not many other people do, doesn't make it a 'forgotten classic'
Classic: Having lasting significance or worth

Based on my personal interpretation of this definition, I believe that when somebody calls something classic, the album means alot to them. My opinion on an album, book, movie, etc. doesn't have to be and shouldn't be based on what I think would fly with the rest of the crowd.

Most of these albums may not be classic in your eyes because they don't hold any significant value like a "classic" 2Pac album would.

If somebody believes a classic album has to consist of great beats and understandable lyrics, wouldn't Crunk Juice be that classic album they've been waiting for?

Now for the "forgotten" part. A forgotten classic in your eyes must be an album that came out and was unrecognized by the general public for what it was worth, correct? (Reply to that statement if I'm wrong). If so, then somebody might see an element in an album that truly stands out from the rest of the material being released at the time. However, the general public may not find that element and may overlook that particular album, therefore making it a "forgotten classic" in So-and-So's eyes.

PEACE

MATW95 said:
Classic: Having lasting significance or worth

Based on my personal interpretation of this definition, I believe that when somebody calls something classic, the album means alot to them. My opinion on an album, book, movie, etc. doesn't have to be and shouldn't be based on what I think would fly with the rest of the crowd.
i think your interpretation is more fitting among something like a sleeper hit, or just something that you like alot..
in hip hop, any album that is called 'classic' generally means that its overall a great album, something so good that most heads or the mass public will agree on, and something that can be listenable for years and years to come.

MATW95 said:
Most of these albums may not be classic in your eyes because they don't hold any significant value like a "classic" 2Pac album would.

If somebody believes a classic album has to consist of great beats and understandable lyrics, wouldn't Crunk Juice be that classic album they've been waiting for?
it may be a 'personal classic', but thats very different than an album that is generally heralded as classic.

MATW95 said:
Now for the "forgotten" part. A forgotten classic in your eyes must be an album that came out and was unrecognized by the general public for what it was worth, correct? (Reply to that statement if I'm wrong). If so, then somebody might see an element in an album that truly stands out from the rest of the material being released at the time. However, the general public may not find that element and may overlook that particular album, therefore making it a "forgotten classic" in So-and-So's eyes.
although your definition is valid, personally i think that a 'forgotten classic' is just a great classic album, and when it was released it recieved a lot of praise, but it just doesn't get remembered a certain amount of time after it's release (i.e compare all the talk you hear about nas' illmatic to the last time you saw a thread about the here come the lords.. both are great albums, and recieved high praise when released, but only one of those 2 is 'forgotten')

chief_Rocka said:
i think your interpretation is more fitting among something like a sleeper hit, or just something that you like alot..
in hip hop, any album that is called 'classic' generally means that its overall a great album, something so good that most heads or the mass public will agree on, and something that can be listenable for years and years to come.
Agreed, but that fits perfectly with what my interpretation is. Something that is listenable for years to come has to be listenable to a specific person. The term "classic" is subject to open interpretations.

[/QUOTE]it may be a 'personal classic', but thats very different than an album that is generally heralded as classic.[/QUOTE]

When something is "generally heralded as a classic," that means that a large enough amount of people enjoyed the album to all agree to label it as a "classic." Yet again, this fits into my interpretation.

[/QUOTE]although your definition is valid, personally i think that a 'forgotten classic' is just a great classic album, and when it was released it recieved a lot of praise, but it just doesn't get remembered a certain amount of time after it's release (i.e compare all the talk you hear about nas' illmatic to the last time you saw a thread about the here come the lords.. both are great albums, and recieved high praise when released, but only one of those 2 is 'forgotten')[/QUOTE]

:thumb:

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.